ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

10 hours ago, dei said:

"...at the risk of totally embarrassing myself..."

Doug, quite to the contrary, please understand that the point I wanted to make was the effort you made and the satisfaction that you now feel for a job well done.  You should be proud of the accomplishment - I know how difficult it is and wanted to underscore the accomplishment.  That has to be a big load off your mind.  Now get going and enjoy that '58 Special!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EmTee said:

You should be proud of the accomplishment - I know how difficult it is and wanted to underscore the accomplishment.  That has to be a big load off your mind. 

@EmTee, I appreciate what you are saying sir and thanks for the understanding.

From my point of view it's that old saying, Hindsight is 20/20. 

I don't regret having the good things I saved/accumulated but realise that having them is one thing, but not doing anything with it is another.

Today is the first week of actually not having to commit time towards the moving out and yes indeed feel the relief.  

However, I see a list posted on the fridge this morning from 'She who must be obeyed". Have to move on that soon or ??? 🙄 😘

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have had an interesting turn of events this past week.

With the small lawn cutting work I seem to be doing more of, I have been cutting the lawn across the street from the old garage for a few years which is keeping me aware of the progress being done.

It wasn't too long after my last load that a bin was placed in the driveway and two days ago there was a young worker on the roof removing the shingles.

IMG_9085.JPG.a32083b7439c8695c103967e0f1de3f9.JPG

Yesterday I went by to see Mom and stopped in to find this;

IMG_9089.JPG.0626bf4699f74bc15d1d2102dd4ab101.JPG

Knowing the plan all along was for the owner to demolish the garage and separate the lot to build a new home, it wasn't a big surprise but like most changes, not always a easy pill to swallow...

It was home to the Special for over 16 years as I rented the garage before I bought the place out of the Estate. I did a lot of work on her in there getting her back on the road.

IMG_9090.JPG.191fb23d8f8845dea73c5f1f5d5918a5.JPG

What the interesting part was, while I was there taking these pictures the owner came by and we had a good conversation about his plans. He looked at the front yard and mentioned he had to make some arrangements to get the lawn maintained so... I mentioned I cut the lady's lawn across the street weekly and I could take care of it for him too if he'd like. We came up we a plan so I will still be around (being paid for the work this time...) to witness the progress. 

Now on other plans of my own, I'm hoping by the end of May to bring the Nash home to further get her ready for sale. I had a call from a man yesterday that apparently is interested in buying her simply because he was visiting the owner of the  place where I have her stored and Fred mentioned I was considering selling her. 

That leaves me about three weeks to get some things in order around home to not P**s of the wife having another old car around...

Wish me luck on all fronts.

• Like 4

To say I'll be more condensed is a pretty good description of things right now Lance. Organized? That would be a bit of a stretch but it will indeed happen with more effort.

I'm short on space here at home for the lawn equipment and planning on building a decent sized shed (or having one built) to get things out of the weather as they should be. Yard surface prep is the first order of business since the backyard has settled a lot since the new wall/fence was put in two years ago. I want to put in as big a unit as I can not only to house the equipment, but be able to build shelves for some of the car parts I have kept. Out of sight, out of mind is what will work for my wife. 😁😍

Meantime my boys must have been waiting for the move out to be finished as they both have put me on their call list for assistance lately.

The oldest needed my help adding a paving stone addition to his patio which took all day. It came out better than he expected so is quite happy. (I put him on the ground placing the stones which made me happy.)

IMG_9034.JPG.d66106b1dc598d93f2e0eab676baeaf5.JPG

The other one asked if I could help him by picking up some rental equipment he needed to bury a gas line and electric cable out to his garage, heavy enough to run a welder, compressor and other equipment.

If I could I would buy him a trailer for all the miles mine has had put on it...

IMG_9093.JPG.08456219f2a6e52d950d4b1f2c64ef27.JPG

I met him at the rental place at the prearranged time and was somewhat surprised to see him driving a 2021 Ram figuring he was able to log it out from work as he does development testing on new and future vehicles working in Auburn Hills and I have been privy to seeing and riding in some of them.

What really surprised me was that he said it was his!~ 😱

With his employment there is an incredible lease program which can't be beat for the regular Joe. 

After we unloaded the rental equipment just had to bring it by to show his Mom who was equally impressed and truly happy about his success.

However, The one disappointment she found with it was not having any running boards! 

IMG_9098.JPG.c6747aadf8f61abca08de33abba77565.JPG

With my daughter-in-law behind the wheel insisting she wanted to take Cindy for a ride I went and grabbed one of my work stools for her to be able to climb in.😏

IMG_9100.JPG.d33cc52c4f9cff4131d39286002fa526.JPG

I heard Paulina say, "Make sure you're buckled up as we are going to test this puppy out!"

Gawd I love her. She loves Marks Mustang and enjoys the fast ride!

Cindy didn't comment on how the ride went only saying what a beautiful truck it was....

Hopefully the boys can repay the favours for 'dear old dad' helping with my yard work and think by June 1st can get this thread back to the Buick's again. Likely will bring out the Nash first to continue getting things in order to put her up for sale though.

Time is going to tell....

• Like 2

Due to Canada's history as a British Colony, today is a Holiday known as Victoria Day which is a day off to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday.

I find myself really appreciating this as it is the first day I'm really able to enjoy the morning after the 5 month marathon getting moved out of the old garage! 

I still have much to do to get organised around home before the cars come into play but can now try to get it done on my time table again.

One of the first projects I mentioned in my last post was getting the yard ready for a shed. The issue is that with the construction of a new wall and fence two years ago we waited to grade it knowing the back fill was going to settle so nothing was planted or landscaped, just keeping the grass/weeds cut, but now is the time to move on this.

With my boy cutting up the sod at his place to put in a gazebo and patio I told him I'd take what I could get to use as fill. Naturally last week has been the hottest days of the year but started with this first load.

400125691_534Scofield-December152020-cold.JPG.c1664a07845158768cc8068cd76a3bb5.JPG

Rolled up on the lawn it didn't look like too much but...

After putting it down went back on Saturday to get a second bigger load.

IMG_9113.JPG.359da1d1849ac7eee3779b6db7294ab2.JPG

I can attest that loading it up in the trailer is easier than unloading and rolling it out...

However, it is going to do the job and the price is right so going to stop complaining. I'll most likely get a load of top soil to dress the final grade but have to figure the easiest way to get it back there as it will have to be dumped in the driveway I guess.

This is what has been done so far raising the ground 5 inches along the wall and have a third load to gather up yet. 

IMG_9115.JPG.096ad91c1d11d1c0ee128e82ac1f7539.JPG

I'll get that load this week and it will go down on the right of the picture where I want the shed to be.  I'm looking at something in the size of a 12x14  with barn doors to get my lawn equipment in & out easily. Once that is built I will build shelves for car parts that can survive the unheated spaces.

As has been said, 'There is no rest for the wicked'.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

One FINAL report on the old garage...

Went by yesterday and took this shot.

IMG_9118.JPG.f5de0822f05582249d32bd15cb2d4dbd.JPG

It's gone all but the fireplace at the back which originally was a screened in room separate from the garage. I never used it as, fire and gasoline are not a good mix for automobile preservation.

IMG_9117.JPG.31aa358b5b27ad54b6d45607a10362a1.JPG

• Like 3

This past week I unloaded and placed the third trailer load of sod which is going to help raise the ground. Unfortunately I had to do it in the rain which was really fun...

I now have a sore forearm which looks like I have hurt the muscles pretty good. It sucks getting older.

Being never to old to learn, I will take my son's lead and be renting this unit he has done for his backyard project. 

IMG_9101.JPG.f233a5494244ad32d7624db6d2605c89.JPG

• Like 3

This past week I've been working on a plan to get a new shed for the lawn equipment.

Seemed simple enough with step one to grade the corner for a base, step two to order the unit I want and step three start laying out shelves for car parts.

It's never that simple...

I started moving things I had placed much earlier for a visual and measurement trial as it just doesn't work out for me sometimes when put on paper.

IMG_9136.JPG.e651ed880bcb538807be7169ec429bbc.JPG

As normally happens one thing leads to another and this time was no different.

Just as I was about to place an order for stone and renting a machine doesn't my long time neighbour come over and tells me he needs to rebuild his fence as the 4x4 posts were rotting letting water down into the bricks and pushing some of them loose due to freezing over 30 years of winter months....

Sure enough the next morning (Tuesday) a crew starts at 8 removing the fence. 

By the end of the day all the wood fence was all removed and they started taking out and cleaning up the loose brick.

IMG_9139.JPG.055c2a9f7668b9c0ea6fa3b9a682eb9f.JPG

I cancelled the stone and machine order for this coming weekend as the next thing was a concern about my eaves trough drain. When the brick wall was constructed we put the drain at the bottom of the footing since it was easy with the ground opened up. It runs out behind the backyard fence into an open ditch but had some concerns with the flow seeing some dirty water coming out when testing with a hose.

Scratch any plans I had thought about as now I have to remove all the garden, rocks and pathway paver stones to allow a backhoe to dig it up for inspection and or replacement.

THEN....

IMG_9140.JPG.43deb7f5f13ee82967728b868ba59da4.JPG

The idea was kicked around of moving my portable (not really...) tent beside the house  (and the things in it...) for access with a bobcat plus materials.

IMG_9152.JPG.7cef35514815a7b5488b6545f72379b1.JPG

As of last night I just had to sit down and relax since anything I had planned was totally wiped off the board and I'm about wore out. I'm doing this alone much like MrEarl is with his Buick Gardens project and can attest to his question about helpers and their work ethics.

IMG_9153.JPG.f63a045896e98673ab232a5d55428487.JPG

Meantime I have exactly one month to get ready for my sons wedding which has been delayed for a year so far. She is even more disappointed than he is with this go around as the Provincial Lock Down has events limiting them to a maximum of ten people. The place for the reception cancelled on them saying they would not cater to only 10 people for dinner but would be returning their deposit...

To quote a famous line, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".

To be continued. (no real choice is there?)

• Like 3

Like it has been posted by some before, this might not appear auto related but in fact indeed is.

I've had this 10x20 tent beside the house for years and the plastic cover needs replacing again which I was somewhat planning for but things / plans have changed...

My neighbour of 38 years has found rotten wood posts in his fence that has to be fixed. 

He is in construction so has a crew to do the work whereas I work alone and things take time doing it this way. They had all the wood removed from the brick wall in about a day and then started removing, cleaning and replacing the broken bricks over the next two days. 

IMG_9152.JPG.d17c63a62c0c82951c2430af656479dc.JPG

The eavestrough down spout is plumbed into a line that travels along that brick wall on my side but... there is evidence there maybe a crack somewhere with dirty water coming out where it drains into the ditch out back so... Need to either hand dig (not actually thinking about that) or removing the tent and all its contents to allow access for a back hoe to come in. 

In 92 degree heat yesterday started removing the pathway bricks and garden border rocks for later use but had to quit due to being in the direct sunlight and heat. 

With shade from the house I started dismantling my old snowmobile for the scrapper as the motor has seized and the belly pan has rotted away plus all the other things needed to make it run again. It was fun back in it's day but the back won't take it now...

IMG_9163.JPG.6cdb10f71cc2fd1127535ee9e54bd334.JPG 

The auto connection you ask?

Once this is all totally removed, I have the neighbour looking into building a hard lean to roof where I will be able to park one of the cars under in the near future. Picking evenings to work on things as we are in a 90 degree mode for the next few days.

It would be a good place to have the Nash where I can take her out with a For Sale sign and contact info to see what might happen. Then it will house the Special again giving me access to driving her at my pleasure.

March seems so long ago when I parked them in storage....

• Like 2

Thanks so much Keith. 

It's the end game that keeps me going.

My wife takes a lot of effort to get her to understand what and why things have to be done the way they do and fully understand the saying, A happy wife means a happy life...

The 10x12 shed kit is on back order naturally which to me is OK right now due to the fact the drain work is waiting on me with the clean out (again). 

Sadly the kids wedding plans will only be the Church service unless things turn around between now and July 3rd. Once again no choice right, regarding the numbers allowed to gather, so stressing all involved. 

Welcome to the new world order. Look out next year if there is any resemblance of normality!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I had a Ski Doo when I lived in the land of Ice and Snow.  Fun Machines to get around the countryside on.  

My back probably wouldn't like them either.

Yes we have a fair share of that here in Ontario, Canada but if that wasn't enough we just had to go further north to get into deeper snow!! Young and.. well you know.

The location was Owen Sound, Ontario the group of us liked to venture to and the real bonus was the terrain plus all the official marked trails.  

Here is the same machine just one year old in 1982.

1761058432_1981Skidoo-OwenSound-Copy.jpg.4b145e54fa90b184e6959485881dc25a.jpg

My friend caught this as I was coming up out of a small ravine that had a snow drift at the edge and of course just had to answer the challenge.

Fortunately there was a two foot base with another 8 inches that had fallen the week we got there so the landing wasn't harsh on the machine or the back but... no answering that challenge today!~ 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Meantime on the home front, a bit of progress today digging into the portable tent.

Temperature dropped a bit to the mid 80's but under the plastic (even on the shady side of the house) lots of bottled water and rest periods needed.

Started gathering the misc flat head Ford engine parts and I'll see if one or two guys that deal with those engines will be interested before they end up in the scrap bin...

I'll dig out the rest in the morning before making a call or two.

IMG_9163.JPG.466fadc5d2cdab600ba8999cdfb5797c.JPG

• Like 3

That would be great Keith.

Still sorting through most of it is 52 Ford  F1 stuff but do have a Mercury truck glove box door with name plate on the inside. 

Will post some pictures when I get organized. Would rather sell reasonaby to some one who might fish through and find something to use.

Latter, Doug  

That Merc glove box door would be a great piece for the right guy (well, not wanting to be sexist, person then). The first pickup truck I drove was a 1966 Mercury 3/4 ton, 3 speed 6 cyl.

Sorry to get off topic!

We have the flywheel we got from you on the car, and hope to get it running again later today or tomorrow. Man was it some bear to get off of the old crankshaft it was very badly rusted on. But finally it did come off with a bang, just broke free.

• Like 2

Keith, glad it was what you were looking for even if it was a struggle to get loose!

On the Flathead parts, I hope to know something by the weekend and will let you know. 

Meantime, it has been an awful week not only with the heat but dealing with the neighbour and his just telling me what is going to happen...

I'd much rather be posting progress on the cars, especial the Special, so will post a couple of pictures and let them speak for themselves.

Our coolest day time high this past 5 days has been 85.

IMG_9174.JPG.06a789933a7bdde94122d29133bee562.JPG

IMG_9177.JPG.f8d8e4a78ee1c5b45ae6657c6a11a4d6.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG.f1ff49d77b4d6cde0dc00e7ced857756.JPG

IMG_9183.JPG.915548b6e73d8b321bdc6737212d10be.JPG

Anyone notice something unusual with this last shot?

IMG_9194.JPG.354afedcd3a23ce6721f4e50090f6b98.JPG

To be continued....

• Like 1

That's part of it Lance.

I discussed with him wanting my finished grade an inch below those red soft reclaimed bricks he used and understood the concrete would be about 4 inches above that NOT the height I found it returning from a run to the dump and checking with a customer I pushed back to get things cleared out to meet their time table.

I'm supposed to be getting a new drain line for the eaves troughs as the original line sat on top of the footing and was damaged completely with the auger.

There's  more...🤨

Wow, In previous pictures I thought this was the neighbor along the back of your property, Now it looks like it is your next door neighbor and he conveniently picked up several inches of your property and made your access much narrower.  I am surprised you agreed to let him put footers on your side of the wall.  I hope you have those site plan expectation & details in writing cause it looks like a court case is brewing here. 

To provide a bit of info on the fence issue I will state that 24 hours was what it took to cancel a litigious situation and all parties (including the wife/mine) can sit and share a glass of wine together again. 

I don't want to go into the details here but will say the issues will be mutually acceptable so moving on.

However, What a week!🤪 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This weekend was a hot one! Lowest temps was 86 degrees.

Got flat head parts and motor car parts to people that could make use of them but the left overs on Friday well... went to the recycle. The guys involved advised me what really was scrap so felt in the end it was the right thing to do. 

Today I loaded up the flat head engine that was stripped but seized up for another trip to the scraper on Monday.

What a biotch to roll not straight on a ramp!

IMG_9214.JPG.5caef5193e116cc4c2553730826add60.JPG

• Like 1

Summer is flying along....

Being side tracked with clearing out my portable tent has me two weeks behind from what was planned but...

Took the frame apart while the neighbour set things in motion for the new fence boards.

IMG_9183.JPG.feb9794111d89456df89456bcf4d4a35.JPG

Made a suggestion to see if it would fly about possibly putting it in the corner of the back yard you see but... That got shot down before I could finish the sentence.

Looks like I will be investing in a good outside car cover after proper grading and decent ground material is in place.

IMG_9190.JPG.60bb50b6c675a70d9b97d479ba6faee8.JPG

I have a load of stone coming Saturday morning along with a walk behind machine I'll pick up Friday to put back in the corner instead for the base to a new shed to hold the lawn equipment and shelving for things (Buick parts are the plan - shhhh!).

Waiting to have the new downspout drain put in Wednesday (neighbours cost after busting up the old one putting the footings in for those posts...) and then lay out the grading with my son's laser level to ensure proper grades away from the house to the yard grate emptying into the ditch behind the back fence and wall.

With the threat of rain Sunday evening we had to hook up something temporary which worked quiet well for with the 25 minute down pour we got. 

IMG_9197.JPG.b8f8b5461d2ad32283165642cb5e37c2.JPG

The good news was that flathead motor and metal tongue from the old snowmobile trailer paid 35 bucks at the scrapper but man it was heavy! It did however push off the trailer easier compared to loading it on. 

There is apparently 26 hours in the day now, so I'm being told...

Sleep, we don't need no stinkin' sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With a 3 inch overnight rain fall today's lawn cutting was held off till later in the day as it makes such a mess cutting/mulching wet damp grass so spent the morning working on the pad for the new shed.

Catching up a bit, the stone was dropped out on the road in front of the house as scheduled on Saturday. First I had to lay out the intended location and figure the grade before transporting the stone to the back yard with the machine I rented. This little machine has a feature that once you set the bucket it will maintain it at that level when moving backwards which really helped.

IMG_9232.JPG.702f91e13d88c0173c2f4853de677498.JPG

Once a rough level was set it was nice letting the machine pick up and place the stone versus shovelling it into a wheel barrow, walking it back to the pad, dumping it out and then raking it level in the heat we had that day...

IMG_9235.JPG.17fb2384aa3cc8ce7ad26efca968c3ba.JPG

Being used to 40 & 65 foot boom lifts it wasn't too long before the hydraulic controls responded to what I needed it to do getting the stone somewhat level before finesse raking it further by hand. I then packed the stone after watering it down some to get it ready for the patio stones to be laid down.

IMG_9236.JPG.bc5e390828eb48da491a2f384f6674e3.JPG

Three hours moving stone from the road, cleaning up the residue to avoid complains from anyone, tweaking the stone level then tamping I finally started laying patio stones after supper as it slowly got cooler.

IMG_9238.JPG.cfaad1524886a541761c9c0bc3ec1667.JPG

Had enough around 8 pm and took a break Sunday as stated in the last post. 

Today finished placing the rest of the patio stones while one lone worker next door started putting up boards on those posts.

IMG_9243.JPG.93cc556a8359d3cf01c578a5b5926e26.JPG

When this is all done I will have my shed the size I want (if it ever comes in due to being on back order) and we also now have decent access to the back yard for another project that has been on hold since the pandemic which will get me back to dealing with the cars again. 

IMG_9245.JPG.6058aa42d60a0673907badf1bb41b95e.JPG

I can feel the summer drifting away...

• Like 1

Technology! Shortly after my last post my computer froze and after several attempts to reboot the system had to bring it in for some serious surgery! It seems the mechanical hard drive (to me not that old a system..) is prone to failures whereas a solid state hard drive is much less prone to fail but still will go south as does electronic things in this world. My biggest fear was loss of data and fortunately the tech was able to save everything plus now the PC works faster than it did before.

It's somewhat crazy how left out of this world I felt for this past week without access to not only this site but my emails... (the Ipad doesn't quite cut it for me).

So to catch up a bit,

Yes Lance I will in the end have things looking good and be helpful for parts storage (much to my wife's displeasure) so the end game is what's important.

Meantime, the fortress wall is now completed including gateway.

IMG_9265.JPG.61aa7ca3fd5472470cd79b269b4b9bfe.JPG

My preference would have been to have the finished side showing to better match my back fence but it will just have to due as I didn't put a dime into it...

IMG_9266.JPG.0782f8aac54198514caed2dc4d198659.JPG

I did say to my neighbour that he didn't build it high enough as I can't hang the noose on that cross beam to be effect enough. LOL

Now to get a load of screenings to put the walkway back in to the gate and then a load of top soil to get the grade ready for grass.  

Also going to price out lumber to see if I can build a shed myself now that lumber has dropped (only slightly) as the supposed delivery date for the package is not till August 30th, right before the Labour Day Weekend. (not very likely the way things are going...) 

This Saturday my other son is getting married (finally) after a year of cancellation due to the pandemic and all the gathering rules. Not unlike most this has been quite the emotional roller coaster for my soon to be daughter-in-law. Things have opened up some and there is talk of some Border rules opening up so hope springs eternal to be able to go over and see some Buick friends possibly before the end of this summer???

Picking up that nail head which Cardinal95 has been storing for me will go a long ways to concentrating on the Limited again. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

In my area, one call to the building inspector and that fence would be built with the finished side towards you.  But so be it.  Time to move forward. 

Same outcome, finished side outward, here in MA....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

Was the raised bed planter along your side of the fence the concession made by your neighbor for installing the posts on your side of the property line?

While I guess it looks like a planter box and was another surprise discussed with my wife while I was out working for the day...

He knew she was displeased with the concrete base looks so came up with putting the two 2x6 boards on and then back filled it with 3/4 clear stone saying that it would drain enough to keep his precious reclaimed red brick from getting wet, absorbing water and shelfing off as the frost freeze season comes around.

Admittedly it does hide the concrete but will be considering putting black lava rock or slate stones on top to hide the gravel stone look...

Wonder how he is going to feel when I regrade the lawn to slope the water towards the backyard drain, building it up on those boards. Oh wait, I really don't give a rat's pitutey what he thinks. (it's my property right!) 😝

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So this weekend is a BIG one on many fronts!

To my fellow Canadians, Hope you all had a Happy Canada Day! 

With a bit of relaxing the gathering numbers here in Ontario it was a day of hope for getting somewhat back to normal (?).

Personally we still stayed home and did the traditional BBQ meal with my favourite summer drink, the Canadian Caesar and listened to the evening fireworks around the neighbourhood.

IMG_9289.JPG.4fe6d590581f4f59d2fd7bbbb9f21b15.JPG

With the tunes on 'twas a pleasant way to end another warm day.

IMG_9290.JPG.7493f579018ab82dcd3c45353d3a2e72.JPG

To my American Family & Friends I wish you all a GOOD Fourth of July weekend also!

There has been some talk that after July 21st our Governments are discussing opening up the Border between us (with restrictions) and keeping fingers crossed for that as it has been announced the Woodward Cruise is to be held this year.

Boy would it be nice to attend once again...

Car gatherings are slowly being held here but with both the Special & Nash out in storage while I concentrate on the home front, it none the less has been missed for me & mine.

Finally, 

By 1 pm today my wife and I will be at my son & soon to be daughter-in-laws wedding!

Our knees hurt from all the praying we have done to not only finally have the rules open enough to allow some family in the Church but also have a dinner reception and hearing the weather is going to be just perfect for the outdoor patio meal! 👍

For the kids this has been almost two years in the planning and the many changes to those plans due to the pandemic. Something their kids one day will hear about I'm sure.

My only slight regret would be that my Special (or the Nash) isn't on the road to partake in a small way.

Funny how history repeats itself on the car issue. For our wedding my Dad felt a bit slighted because we decided to go with a friends white '70s big Tbird and her dad's white NewPort to be decorated. That actually worked out as it rained ALL day till 11 PM so his cars stayed inside & dry lessening the hurt feelings I guess.

Today is about the kids so in the scope of it all, will chose another time and place for the cars to be involved.

Off to wash the Van, gather up Mom (soon to be 94) and as it has been said, Film at 11.

Stay Well everyone.

Doug

124540570_1958BuickSpecial-Aug1984.JPG.8b1038954b442100cc927caa017d763e.JPG

• Like 4

Doug, Thanks for the holiday wishes and home-front update.  I hope the wedding goes off as planned and everyone has the chance to forget about the larger issues beyond our direct control (including the weather).  I liked your BBQ celebration and as it so happens, my son was in town from North Carolina for our 4th of July celebration.  He and my son-in-law set up the smoker and cooked two pork butts (for pulled pork) on Thursday, two beef briskets (a 'point' & a 'flat') on Friday and a pork belly yesterday.  My son made some North Carolina vinegar-based BBQ sauce.  It was gooooooood!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the Wedding was special in so many ways, the main one of course was that they can now call themselves husband and wife. That was the way both parents raised them, to be committed to each other and we are all so proud of them to be at this stage of their lives.

IMG_9321.JPG.4cc73358174abc35ac1335eb350749b6.JPG

Another way it was special is because this is the first social gathering of any size for almost 2 1/2 years and boy did it feel good!

Someone upstairs looked upon us and cleared the skies lowering the temperatures from the muggy hot week we had before which made dinning out under the patio perfect!

40 people had an excellent 7 course meal spread over two hours leaving plenty of time for conversation, pictures and libation.  🍺🥳🥩 The Wait Staff were on their toes not missing a chance to ensure things were more than satisfactory. We made sure they received a fine tip to show our appreciation.

IMG_9349.JPG.541cb80ba7bfa168dcfaf1b15888f8f5.JPG

You know you just have to appreciate where you are in life when at an event like this you realise there are four generations together which again has been a long time coming.

That's my mom who will be 94 this December. It was a bit of a long day for her but she was a trouper putting up with some of the tom foolery and noise but said she had a good time.

SHOOT! For the life of me that picture does not post upright! Never had that happen before... Oh Well.

Suffice it to say we laid low Sunday and yes, the humidity came back with another 90 degree heat warning and continuing today (Monday). 

However....

One more blessing came today in a bit of a sad way.

I've had a senior couple as a customer for well over 16 years who are dealing with very difficult changes to their lives recently, the least of which is they both will never drive again. Having no children or living relatives they have appointed a Power of Attorney to handle their affairs and she contacted me to see if I would continue the lawn care till the house and items are dealt with. Naturally there was no question whether I would continue and on Friday the garage was open for them cleaning things out. Sitting inside was the couples Cadillac SRX and politely asked what was going to happen to it. The short version was that if I was interested in it they would accept a sealed bid that would help the couple out (not that I believe they are in dire need) so I went online to get an idea what they were selling for, wrote it up then delivered it to their mail box. That was Friday afternoon and with the wedding and all waited till this morning to find a text that we had won!

The only condition I placed on the deal was that Cindy had to test drive and approve before any money would be exchanged. See, I was at the couples place when they bought this car new in 2015 to sit beside their other Cadillac Escalade hybrid and knew of it's condition and guessed at the mileage to be low.

Here it is with 16,514 kms (that's 10,260 miles over 6 years) and parked inside all it's life.

IMG_9366.JPG.10c6bd148124497ee1ead7491292d74c.JPG   

IMG_9367.JPG.2a507b5f866e32b94fdb4cc0d7f8b7eb.JPG

It goes in for the mandatory Safety Check tomorrow before I can transfer the ownership (Title) and of course drop off the cheque but wow, never thought I'd own a Cady in my lifetime! Especially one this nice!!

IMG_9368.JPG.5187a29bf656b8401be42458646100a7.JPG

I know it's not a Buick but at least it's in the GM family.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good for you Dei ( and Cindy too)... Congrats on the "new" Daughter!  If she is anything like the two we have in our lives, you will both be very happy in the future! 

Poppy John!  (😉)

• Thanks 1