ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

On 3/10/2021 at 10:43 AM, dei said:

Of no particular importance but I just noticed my thread has hit 101,000 views.

Do I assume (and we all know that assume means) that I have something of interest to post....?

Thank you to all who have followed along and have offered helpful advice during my time here.

It means a lot and making a few new friends along this journey has encouraged me to move forward with my Buick's especially.

Really appreciate being a part of this Forums group!

Doug

Let’s just say that your daily adventures as  recorded as a diary on this thread keep us interested on what is next. I see it as a TV seasonal series with who knows what number of episodes. Keep them coming! You will have no problems with an alibi if you get in 👿 trouble.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elpad said:

You will have no problems with an alibi if you get in 👿 trouble.

Alibi?

Haven't been this busy for the past 7 months since deliberately taking on 13 apartment buildings along with regular seasonal business, hiring/dealing with 7 employees some 20 years ago so guess I do indeed have an alibi! 😁

Have to say my wife now has a better understanding of the effort this has taken.

At first she thought it was just sell a vehicle or two, then bring them home. She now gets that it will take most of the summer to get things in good order around home and finally be able to move forward with our plans here for the house.

I know a lot of you took the opportunity with the virus shut downs to do the things maybe you had been putting off or too busy to focus on prior but for me this move out really wasn't in the plan...

It's all going to work out and could have been much worse so have thanked her for her much needed patience.

• Like 2

I took a trip to the scrapper yesterday and found metal prices (especially aluminium) has gone up some again. Then I went out to the sea can to store some items and check into some parts for Lancemb. 

Leaving I saw this in the yard next door and figure it might be an employees car as the shop there is the official authorised Canadian Shelby Conversion Dealer.

IMG_8800.thumb.JPG.51fdb93dc8b2f80c1f89f67c0b049109.JPG

Went back to the old garage and sorted through more stuff for another possible trip (or two) and had to take this shot.

I'm going to hang it on the wall in the garage at home to remind me just what it has to say...

IMG_8805.thumb.JPG.f99c380937689119400918e079de7fdb.JPG

If it continues to clear this afternoon will be taking that drive out to park her with the Special for the next month.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, dei said:

I took a trip to the scrapper yesterday and found metal prices (especially aluminium) has gone up some again. Then I went out to the sea can to store some items and check into some parts for Lancemb. 

Leaving I saw this in the yard next door and figure it might be an employees car as the shop there is the official authorised Canadian Shelby Conversion Dealer.

IMG_8800.thumb.JPG.51fdb93dc8b2f80c1f89f67c0b049109.JPG

Went back to the old garage and sorted through more stuff for another possible trip (or two) and had to take this shot.

I'm going to hang it on the wall in the garage at home to remind me just what it has to say...

IMG_8805.thumb.JPG.f99c380937689119400918e079de7fdb.JPG

If it continues to clear this afternoon will be taking that drive out to park her with the Special for the next month.

Are you going to hang the ass?

• Haha 2

We missed that weather pattern to supposedly bring flurries and or sleet today so around mid afternoon my wife took me over to the old garage to warm up the Nash for her trip out to Harrow and join the Special for a month or two.

Traffic was light as expected so didn't push her any harder than 35-40 mph.

IMG_8809.thumb.JPG.c824d551d9f46243b8b0181e152bdd6b.JPG

Fred says he is going to look her over and we will talk later to see if what I might want is worth it to him. Told him that works the other way also buddy.

I've known him for years and always kept telling dad he wanted to buy that car but dad always came back with, "You haven't got enough money to buy that car Fred". 

Pretty sure he is OK with me considering selling her.

The garage is very nice & dry. She is in with good company.

See you both in a month or so...

IMG_8812.thumb.JPG.d2542b99aca8587264203f54789b97e6.JPG

• Like 3

Spent St. Patrick's Day at the old garage continuing with the clean out.

The mission was to transport my riding lawn mower home but left that till after the cars were sorted so now was the day.

Brought my portable air pump to get the tires up to spec and make moving it easier.

Naturally she would not start so brought out my trusty block & tackle again to pull up the ramps. I really will Not be getting rid of these things as it is saving my back a lot!!

IMG_8815.thumb.JPG.2366fc43c8617508928cd8d81173f0ba.JPG

By the time I got home found this.

IMG_8816.thumb.JPG.c2a7344437965a607e168b3c1a94acad.JPG

Looks like once I get it placed will be taking that tire off to likely put a tube inside.

• Like 2

My wife meantime went over to visit our grandson who is at the age starting to be so much more interactive. 

He's going to hate this when he get's to be a young man but we think it is a scream!

Hope everyone had a Happy St. Pat's Day!!!

1156895349_Theo-March172021-pic2.thumb.jpg.927e6abc1fd98af08547a7f8a8d7e5c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A fun filled day today.

Received a call from my guy who repairs my lawn equipment & snow blowers to say he FINALLY got the auger belt and installed it, so was ready to be picked up.

Naturally not only was that particular belt not being available till now but...it is now 60 bucks! (not including the drive belt...)

Fuel, Lumber and now replacement parts increased big time, all because of the pandemic?????

No real choice so bent over and took it...

Hope we get some more snow next year than we did this year around here.

Then went to the old garage to load up some metal that was in the 10x20 tent out back.

Managed to muscle a hood from in there and decided it wasn't as good as the other ones I have so took off the hood latch pin/plate, the pitted chrome centre V chrome and the rods/brackets that hold the insulation in place before putting it in the trailer. 

IMG_8819.thumb.JPG.4b25c7536fb5da497a7e7e7416dbf72b.JPG

Unfortunately it was rusted all along the side double welded sheet metal to the point it rusted holes in the outer metal too no real loss to the hobby.

Put a little bit more in my pocket making the effort worth while.

IMG_8818.JPG

• Like 2

After supper I went out to the garage at home to look at what effort it was going to take to clear off the made up work table I built over a nail head I had. 

It will be going on a road trip soon so figured I'd get a head start on moving it off the dolly.

IMG_8822.thumb.JPG.96ca5fde83d91fd0c121b05bc34903fb.JPG

One thing led to another and just didn't stop.

IMG_8824.thumb.JPG.e43f6c60dc82eed498c8f688af0b5d85.JPG

Rolled it outside using the lift and lowered it down on some 2x4's to take pressure off the cylinder. Will put the work table back together tomorrow and cover the motor with plastic till it leaves.

More on this later.

• Like 2

While Saturday was the usual mundane efforts with gathering/boxing and putting things in storage, Sunday was an exciting day.

Not only was it T shirt weather (63 degrees) but @Buicknutty came to receive the spare engine he felt he could use some parts from.

He arrived around noon with his Jeep that we were to put inside (I hoped...)

After showing him, his wife and son the Overland, Whippet and the Limited we managed together to roll the lift and motor out over my old concrete driveway to position at the back of his jeep.

First attempt proved the way I had the leveller and chains connected we didn't have enough height so dropped the motor, took off the leveller and shortened the chains.

With the boom fully extended that proved to be the trick.

With careful guidance (inches to spare) in it went but required a bit of twisting to allow the hatch door to close.

IMG_8827.thumb.JPG.d7e0e374a9a82ce74980ff05fff7270a.JPG

Fortunately the pan casket isn't leaking but Keith had some cardboard underneath that plywood too just in case. 

My wife and Glenda had a nice visit while we worked outside and all too soon they suggested they had better head home as it was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Wish they were closer and could have brought my lift over to aide in getting it back out for him... 

As an aside, it was a friend of Keith's (Chris) that had a spare hub cap for the Nash that is currently on her and doing it's job nicely.

It proves the hobby is still about helping and not all about the money.  Many Thanks! 

• Like 4

The last couple of days has been somewhat demanding on a couple of fronts.

Scored my first commercial work since last October which took most of the day but was good to have it back even if it was from a distance while on the property.

Afterwards I went to the old garage and had time to sort a bit more before supper and noticed a scrap bin in the other driveway. The new owner is doing a complete inside gutting to update everything as I pretty much just maintained things all the years we owned it. While it had that old world charm, definitely was not to everyone's modern specs.

Decided I'd come back afterwards and move the last remaining few things from the carport before things get tossed like some spare well used parts for the Whippet and a lawnmower that I wasn't sure if discarding or not.

It was still daylight when I went back and discovered the parts were GONE!

I had two very worn out wheels (wood was rotten off on the fellows, two spare brake drums - salvageable) sitting on an office dolly that were missing but the dolly was still there.

I also had a small pile in a corner with a front fender and other misc panels that walked away too! 

Decided to walk around and then discovered my old heavily made car ramp was gone also!!! (the other matching one I have at home)

Fortunately my aluminium ladders appeared to have not been moved at all but grabbed a length of heavy chain and one of my heavy duty locks to deter at least an attempt to steal them to till I was ready to bring them home. 

Didn't sleep well Monday night knowing I still had things inside the garage yet.

I went to the place early Tuesday morning apparently before the wrecking crew started and when the boss showed we had a discussion.

This is his line of work and contracts an outside scrapper to remove metal after his crew takes it out leaving only the plaster and wood to put in his bins. 

He called but only went to voicemail and said he would let me know as soon as he heard anything.

Later that morning he came over and said they denied taking anything like that but said he felt he was lying and as such, fired them. 

DAMN! I really had hoped to get the ramp back but... that ship has sailed.

I then get a call from the man I sold the truck to saying he has been digging into the motors and...

No luck freeing up the one currently in the truck so had a buddy take apart the spare to find broken rings on most of the pistons and scoring on two of the cylinder walls and piston sides.

Told him I would come over in the afternoon and we would talk.

While the sale was an AS IS agreement (with written signed receipt) and I felt the spare motor had run before I mounted it on the engine stand, I had no idea of it's internal condition and discussed it with him before the exchange of any money.

The visit was not confrontational but clearly he was disappointed that a swap wasn't going to happen as there was deep ridges on the cylinders requiring boring for over size pistons and a full rebuild. Go figure on a 69 year old flat head.

The truck is within 3 miles of me and expect to come across it a few times so call me a sucker or not I offered to refund a small amount as a gesture of good will.

He was suggesting he was going to be in for another 1,000 for an engine someone has that is running plus has been gone through but I felt it was a buyer beware purchase to which he agreed reluctantly saying he had learned a lesson. Hence my token offer and he accepted saying it would help and we were good.

Maybe not the usual hard business decision on my part but felt it was the right thing to do and what I could live with.

This is what non detergent oil looks like after all these years.

This was after trying to drain the oil before disassembly. when he pulled the drain plug very little came out till he poked around with a wire...

IMG_8839.thumb.JPG.968591958f98e8f1436cf5ebfc45bd95.JPG

• Like 2

Doug, I drove the hell out of those old flatheads for over 40 years in my 51 F-1 truck.  One engine was severely worn like the one above.  Being frugal, I cut the ridges, regrooved the pistons, installed spacers, new rings, honed the cylinders (dingle berry) and drove it 50,000 miles before retiring because of a crack an exhaust valve seat.  I did a proper rebuild on a replacement engine and installed adjustable lifters, but even with those and due to valve seat recession I ran out of adjustment (90,00 miles).  The "cure" for that was to replace the engine with a 264 nailhead!

• Like 2

I can say for 10 years of my 18 years owning the truck I did similar driving you state you did as it smoked badly when I put my foot into but ran 20-40 weight oil which seemed to slow it down some...

With having a spare engine to swap out (of really unknown condition) never worried if it crapped out on me. 

We had an annual car show that was an 1 1/2 drive each way and called it my annual oil change as it used three quarts of oil that day there and back. LOL

I guess sitting those 7 years didn't do it well as when the new owner pulled the rad out and drained it there was oil draining out of it. Blown head gasket?  

Anyway, there must be some value in the spare block as it was to be part of the deal on the running engine he is getting so figure along the lines you suggest that guy is going to go through it and most likely sell that one later when he has gone through it.

Kinda wished I knew about him back then and would have bought a refurbished engine and likely have still been on the road... 

Water under the bridge now.

• Like 1

@dei  I think you did a fair thing regarding the truck. Since you will be 3 miles away and will obviously see the vehicle and the new owner at local events, that was a good move.  Here's hoping that the new owner doesn't harbor a grudge for thinking you'd spring for the 1K he cited.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another couple of busy days. 

Managing to clear off some shelves and decided after a good wiping down to bring this one home for the basement laundry room.

IMG_8858.thumb.JPG.b06a53075d2cc1bbbddf6f49262e70c3.JPG

I'm honestly thinking there is a light at the end of the tunnel but slow and steady is the only way I'm going to win this race. (Not that I have been given a deadline but...)

IMG_8859.thumb.JPG.5a9a646a2310f5818198ea8d6980250c.JPG

With the heavy rain we had during the night found I had a leak around one of the roof vents so having sold the place, looks like I beat the cost of a new roof.

Something I unearthed were these to water pictures. I brought them home to see what they were and if they would clean up.

IMG_8864.thumb.JPG.a85afbe954e13c88d216b03cb6774f67.JPG

Using my metal polish on the bottom revealed this.

IMG_8863.thumb.JPG.96e9edcd5aa8b7e414a2502e1adb1051.JPG

Have no idea what this means but will google it later and see if it has any value...

I also found an accessory side view mirror that will match the one on the Nash and possibly work on the passenger side. (She has bad blind spots - or is it my age coming into play? LOL)

I'll take a shot after I give it a good cleaning.

Now it's time for a Friday evening movie.

• Like 2

Well, A quick search on the net this morning was surprised to learn those pitchers are WWII US Navy Wardroom Officers Mess pieces.

Not worth huge money but of some value for sure. 

Would any of you out there be interested in them as a collector piece?

It makes sense that they were in a box here as the daughter of the original owner of the house we bought had married a man from Detroit that served in the US Navy. Could it have been a "keepsake" from his days of service??

I'm off to the old garage again and will be digging into the other three boxes I haven't gone through yet. 

Had another interesting weekend;

Saturday after spending a few hours removing things off the floor in the back section I decided to put some 4x8 wood panelling I had stacked along the side wall into the container.

When we bought the place that back section was self contained as a screened in room with a fireplace and once I realised the inner wall was not a supporting wall, removed it and saved the panelling for future placement. 

Well, looking at the ceiling realising it was the same wood panelling tried a section after I removed the trim and before I knew it had that all down too.

IMG_8865.thumb.JPG.3075b80dcd21bf91ede058147186726d.JPG

While excited about re-purposing these in my garage addition at home (one day) it was not a pleasant job!

Having chased a raccoon or two out of there over the years and having been closed up long before I bought the place, I had to wear a mask and drop the panels one at a time carefully to avoid getting covered with crap and dust!

IMG_8867.thumb.JPG.4c053adc960bc3032a741ca7f10ce865.JPG

By dinner time I had them all down and stacked but thinking I might have to cut the finishing nails before laying them along the wall in the container to avoid scratching the finish.

IMG_8868.thumb.JPG.02efcad1c3ad45808f7874877c8dd740.JPG

The new owners plans for the property is to completely gut the house (all floors which started last Monday) upgrading everything and... to tear down the garage in order to sever the lot, then building a new home on it for sale. 

Did I say I'm going to miss the garage space before?

Was never really attached to the house even though the original section was built in 1908 and upgraded in the late 50's so have at her my friend. Glad you have a pile of cash.

Had planned on coming back after dinner but decided I needed a good shower and that was the end of that thought.

• Like 1

Sunday was spent gathering and putting garbage in cans for pick up on Monday and loading metal into my trailer to do a scrap run Monday morning.

As I removed more things around and picked up cardboard off the floor I pulled up an old door mat and did a double take when I noticed this laying on the dirty floor.

IMG_8872.thumb.JPG.5dc6c6365fdae2c1cfb879685d65a498.JPG

Good thing it was late in the day as I might just have went and had a really good long afternoon lunch!

Stayed the course instead and have it in an envelope to put towards the garage addition at home. Lord knows with the price of lumber I'm going to need every penny!

I looked up 4x8 wood panelling tonight and they are selling about $45 per sheet unfinished but not like these which were likely stained and then varnished so figure I saved myself $1,200 and will have a nice look when installed.

The Whippet and Overland are going to be sitting pretty

• Like 3

Being the 1st of April means I'm officially a month behind vacating the old garage now.

Fortunately the new owner is giving me a relaxed time limit but after the months of work I have been at this, it needs to be completed so I can concentrate on things at home.

Today's official news from the Province announced that we are going to be continuing with the lock down restrictions so not expecting any increase with regard to commercial business for me so if anything, that lets' me stay focused longer with the task at hand.

I made a trip out to the sea can with things that I can access easily and just had to take a picture of this Buick again.

IMG_8876.thumb.JPG.1c7bdc9256bdc9f7c94aabe038b4c954.JPG

With temperatures having been in the upper 50's this week miss having the Special (or the Nash) at home to go for a quick drive but... that will happen later.

Went back and loaded up more metal for scrap which paid about 85 dollars again having aluminium in there too.

IMG_8873.thumb.JPG.74c06138e1a731bfd43ec593f42cc04c.JPG

Went back afterwards to gather up chemicals which fortunately the City will let you bring in for disposal free but for some reason it seemed like half the city was there dumping garbage too!!

IMG_8878.thumb.JPG.d8f0bddc9c85919419dfdbe4c50409b8.JPG

The drop off building is behind me separate from the garbage hill and was told to drive into the lineup so... 

I know people are tired of being restricted and have cabin fever and all but the guy in the van laid on his horn after trying to prevent me from entering that line up, swearing out the window what an A hole I was that he and the others had been waiting for 25 minutes to get out so get at the back of the line idiot!!!

I was temped to... but held my tong and moved my truck into the line in front of him anyway... Yes it took 25 more minutes to clear the scale. They really have to streamline the system better but with only having to make another trip will be prepared for the lunacy of the general public.

I'm sure my smiling face will work wonders for the vocal idiots!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Nice Skylark there!

It sure is.

The shop received some National award for paint (and bodywork?) and have been told second hand that the car is the owners so imagine it is flawless! Need to get closer one day and really look at her.

Oh to have that talent (and the money...) 

While my thread should primarily be about my Buick's I've taken the liberty to post about my other cars rather than have a long absence posting nothing and trust you all know I'm going to get back to the '58's as soon as I can.

Moving a 13 year collection of parts, literature and figuring out car storage has been somewhat daunting but there are moments when things come to light which make me smile.

I came upon a box with paperwork Tuesday in it that I will be a better caretaker for as it is full of info for the cars and brought it home to file properly. For example, I found the original owners manual for the Nash. 

Not only is it the original (well worn) that came with the car but it has the original owners name in it.

414274749_CCI20210401_0001(2).thumb.jpg.3035e17ed3ff1c57ff178e17e6899ee2.jpg

Dad purchased the Nash from the 2nd owner who knew the original owner Mr. Badgley. 

Apparently he went to the Nash dealership and ordered the car new and when it was ready to be picked up made arrangement to go to the Factory in Toronto to drive her home.

He drove the car full time but sparingly if not at all through the winters the 10 years he owned it.

Mr Badgley then sold her to dad's co-worker Mr. Fred Maybe who again drove it regularly including through it's 1st winter. Once again liking the car so much and appreciating the condition it was in for a "rust belt car", decided to keep it as a fair weather/Sunday driver never seeing another winters driving while he owned it.

Fred decided to sell her in 1968 and had a nephew who was interested but... he started talking about putting a V8 in her to have more power than the flathead 6 which it came with.

Fred was lamenting to dad at work about what his nephew's idea was saying eventually that he should buy the car and add it to his collection with already having the Overland.

Being only 13 I'm not sure what mom thought about the growing car collection but remember clearly walking the 3 miles to Fred's house the day dad was handed the keys to drive it home. I'm guessing she was busy that day??

While none of this is documented and signed I have written it down to pass on to the next some day owner.

The one piece of corroborating evidence, besides the fact of it's side emblems labelling as a Canadian Statesman model car, is the original owners manual clearly printed on the front cover as a Canadian built car with Mr. Badgley's signature inside.

1264737603_CCI20210401-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.f96b26a172d82fb94e2b8cd5d150f869.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another bit of nostalgia I came across was about the Overland.

He purchased the car from a fellow local Car Club Member Mr. Ron Norbury who had found a 1924 Oakland touring he wanted and decided to sell the Overland.

That was in 1966 and after getting her home, driving her for two years decided he wanted to rebuild the engine as the Club was very active back then and held weekend runs during the summer which dad wanted to be sure the car could "keep up" as he put it. Back then other members had Studebakers, Chryslers, T's and other misc makes in the teen's and twenties so the pace was much slower than today's modified rods prefer to do!!

I came across the invoice in that box showing what it cost.

473091262_CCI20210401_0004-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.6713194ed791e6e5ac1489d4e8d85dee.jpg

Sadly, when he went to pick it up and when he heard it running, the look of disappointment on his face was unmistakable! Seems when they line bored the motor it was off and to rectify that they cut the transmission gears to mesh and it had a distinct whine to it! The shop owner said that one of two things will happen, either it will wear itself in or it will not!

Dad was furious!! We had a run the next weekend with the Club planned and was advised to not drive her the three hours away but said emphatically that he was going to go and if it broke down he had a guarantee and if that wasn't honoured he would sue!!

Well, we went, all five of us and by the time we came home on Sunday miraculously it did quiet down. Dad did an oil change the next week and luckily didn't find any metal in the oil.

However, over the years he kept an eye out for a spare engine just in case which I have to move again.

The car was used pretty regularly over the years and in 1975 I was allowed for the first time to drive it as the Club was doing an event for seniors, driving them around the city centre. I came upon this picture dad had saved from our local paper.

290160709_CCI20210401_0002-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.68b5b90797092ee117d0eafef7c00ee9.jpg 

It was lot's of fun and the first time dad trusted me with his baby!

Dig those crazy 70's checked pants man. He must have felt better that I had cut off my almost shoulder length hair ....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Picked up my first paying work since last October this past week working nights which makes for a late morning start at the old garage. Fortunately the new owner is graciously telling me to take my time so the pressure is off but looking forward to concentrating on the work at home and not dividing up my efforts. 

With the demo work going on inside the house the new owner wants done, it looks like they will be at it for months to come. Meantime he has applied to the City to sever the lot where he says he will build another house and that process takes time also for approvals.

I have the back section of the garage cleared out for the most part and most definitely going to miss it...

IMG_8904.JPG.90c9d18a9efa46c6847c43b73859cadd.JPG 

Those boxes are empty ones I'm using for stuff that will go into the container for now and if no room at home after the garage addition is completed, guess I'm going to have a large yard sale (once we get out of this Lock Down / Stay At Home phase again).

This shelf unit is quite unique and want it in my garage at home but where I want to put it is a bit too big. Decided yesterday to cut it down and eliminate the one side which will allow it to fit.

Will be one of the last things moved out. 

IMG_8903.JPG.ab02f81f4d62bb81d7b1b40fccf283c4.JPG

• Like 2

Same old, same old thing been going on with the exception of having to work nights this past week.

Friday morning I went to the old garage to get another load of steel together for a scrap run to be told the house there had the back door kicked in! Apparently nothing of the contractors tools were missing and with it having progressed as far as it was gutting wise, none of the copper water pipes or wiring had been cut out so not sure what was going on except maybe it was kids ...

IMG_8908.JPG.6b504eba9de3bf984b05ac6cdeb7fe38.JPG

I notified the neighbours when I came back from the run and changed the lock on my container to a much heavier one just in case.

Meantime, weather conditions have been perfect for the grass to green up and grow so Saturday was spent loading up the lawn equipment in the trailer. With having lost the big lawn contract due to "Corporate saving money thinking" managed to add a few more residential jobs here in town so rationalising it to saving some fuel plus wear and tear at least on the truck. 

Sunday it rained late in the day so went to the old garage halting the lawn  cutting and looked at the nail head engine/transmission to decide just what to do with it. 

I believe it to be a 1956 322 after having discussed it with @Buicknutty but it is really locked up tight. It is a very complete unit including four barrel carb, starter, exhaust manifolds w/ cross over pipe and fuel pump, transmission steel lines and carb linkage. Sadly the dynaflow is still attached due to no access to the flywheel bolts making it a beast of a thing to move let alone store (of which I have no move room).

Decided to take off things to break it down regarding the weight as the rain poured down outside.

IMG_8916.JPG.25dd60856f47668b13bc510f52c1af61.JPG

I rescued this out of an old barn years ago for a song not realising then the mechanical differences between the years thinking it to be spares for my '58's... Live and learn but will save the smaller things as cores should I come across someone needing something.

Surprisingly most bolts loosened up with minor effort given how it looks.

IMG_8911.JPG.2a804da7d70af94b3a202f6dc123ce4f.JPG  

• Like 1

Kept plugging away throwing bolts and parts into a box as I went.

IMG_8913.JPG.dc9e9d0f740e8f5d1be5c7befc615bfc.JPG

I pulled the fuel pump and supply lines off no problem and started on the intake bolts. Naturally one just had to be a problem!

The 6 point socket slipped and sure enough the head is rounded a bit...Knowing my good impact socket set was at home I walked away to regroup and not make matters worse. Not sure if heat will help in this case or not? I have nothing to loose at this point do I?

It's that second bolt from the front you see here that is still buried before I had cleaned it out. I wouldn't care if I managed to break the bolt head off so I can then remove the intake. Otherwise it will be going to the scrapper...

IMG_8915.JPG.f908e96626dcabe73ab6fdde664d6a1b.JPG

Will attempt that later as the lawn work needs to be worked on first today. 

• Like 1

I salvaged a 56 intake once and the same bolt gave me problems. In my case i had a friend rap the end of the breaker bar on top of the socket with a heavy ball peen hammer and if I recall right i switched to a one size smaller 12 point socket. Whack it hard. 

• Thanks 1

As promised, this is to report the effort to extract the stubborn bolt on the intake.

Simply put, John your idea was SPOT ON!

I grabbed my loose sockets and found a 13 ml which was a bit under size to the bolt head so also grabbed my double sided hammer, an extension and whaled away till confident it was firmly in place.

IMG_8920.JPG.c4503420ef20c039db913af2bd1bd2b3.JPG

I then carefully put a long pipe on the ratchet handle. My tool box was a perfect height to help support the bar till I positioned myself to keep downward pressure on the socket and extension before leaning on the pipe with some force.

IMG_8921.JPG.3549c6e53190477b9baa932b1b24abf5.JPG

Hearing a slight snap and feeling the bolt turn I removed the pipe and was able to unscrew it out with no further issues.

Hard to see but there is a funny bit of a shoulder on that bolt head which I'm guessing must have kept the socket from completely setting down letting it round off a corner or two.

IMG_8924.JPG.cae406706c6d8834409ad73a7c853672.JPG

Thought everyone should know that a little advise goes a LONG WAY!

THANKS JOHND1956!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This motor sure isn't looking pretty and will be curious to see what I can inside.

IMG_8926.JPG.8dd77b4bb15a60376009b90fcc7a218f.JPG

Surprisingly all the water pump bolts came loose rather easily. I figured at least two would have snapped off from past experiences. The water pump shaft is stuck and could not get it to turn even after removing the unit. Will be nothing more than a core exchange for someone.

IMG_8929.JPG.5405b8a59399238036497e2f7ae0adb7.JPG

Pulling out that lower left hand bolt allowed some fluid to drip out. It sure isn't the green looking coolant I'm used to seeing.

IMG_8928.JPG.7dbdaa7799a46ddeb1e672420fb0dcaa.JPG 

Pulled the rocker arm covers off and no wonder it's locked up. Guessing the roof leaked in the barn I got this from (or worse...).

IMG_8931.JPG.b217119cf26f999c1d7e0c178bdccc4e.JPG

I also removed one bank of the spark plugs to see how they looked. Really not bad but not going to hold my breath getting it to turn over once I remove the rocket arms....

I called it quits heading home for a late supper. Will be up early to finish this weeks lawn work and get back to boxing up the garage collection then continue with dismantling the motor as much as I can.

• Like 2

Took another hour to plug away with the motor today.

Managed to clean off the valley cover more before taking out the bolts in order to lessen the crap going down into the block. Not sure why just not liking the thoughts of seeing that I guess.

Once opened up I decided to take off the rocker arm assembly and then removed the distributor. 

IMG_8934.JPG.3cc48c7b501ee042871019316092ff8f.JPG

After liberally spraying everything down with PB Blaster I was able with a gentle tapping on the casting and use of a screw driver to move the lifters and then remove them by hand. 

It's not looking too good as a candidate for a rebuild is it...

IMG_8935.JPG.fe0c1af8e1393dcaa111752baff9d5af.JPG

The distributor shaft is stuck. 

Does this look like it might have been in a car that went into a river?

Starter will be next on the removal list.

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Good progress so far Doug. But she is a bit of rusty beastie for sure!

Thanks Keith. 

Does the extra rust mean I'll get more if I scrap the block? LOL 😁

By the way, does the inside of the block you got look like this too?

Just curious.

• Like 1

That engine looks exactly like the one that was in the 62 Starfire I bought this part Winter.  It sat in a field for 30 years.  Engine was locked up tight.  I opened it up and looked just like yours.  I bailed on it and bought a running 62 394 for a third of what a budget rebuild would have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@dei Whats the last digit of the engine number?  Or do you know what model the engine came from?  I would be interested in the speedometer drive from a 1956 Roadmaster Dynaflow trans. 

John, as to the model it came from I have no idea. It had been removed long before I was offered it. I can say that there is only one pulley on the damper so maybe that might suggest being from a lower series as I'm sure Roadmaster's would have power steering correct?

Naturally I can't find the pictures I took showing the numbers you need but will let you know tonight as I'm going there later today.

Would the transmission #'s help you at all too?

• Like 1