ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

On 6/29/2020 at 10:11 AM, dei said:

Surprising how sitting by itself the styling makes the car look so big and bulky but here beside my truck not quite so big. 

Doug, I know what you mean.  Back in college my wife had a '68 Nova, which was a 'compact' car at the time.  I was driving my '56 Bel Air.  I was similarly surprised to see when parked together  they were virtually the same length, yet the '56 seemed so much bigger (especially inside).  The difference was the height and the slab-sided greenhouse...

• Like 1

Good Lord please slow down the time machine!

I know as one gets older time is exponential but...

My focus for any car time is somewhere in mid September and even then the stars need to align to be on schedule. 

90 plus heat this past two weeks is almost been a killer but not a stranger working outside all year round. 

Need to get back and shoot some pictures of the Nash points and distributor for the parts guy as he thinks what he has listed on back order isn't right. 

Nice to have a guy looking out for you on the parts counter instead of ordering things and it isn't correct!

Told him I would do that last week (?) ....

Sunday will be "MY TIME" and move on with that plus get at more sorting...

Then there will be the house to go through in 8 more weeks to get ready to sell....

SOMEBODY please stop the CLOCK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dei said:

SOMEBODY please stop the CLOCK!

Uh !!!  Not sure you want to ask for this!!!  😲

Meanwhile, don't forget to send your picture to Pete by August 1st! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lancemb said:

Are you moving?

The simple answer is no..., but yes.

See I have two places, our principle residence where the Limited is in the garage and another place that my son & daughter-in-law has been renting for some time. They decided a month ago to look for a house to call it their home and raise my soon to be expected grandson. (due October 31st)

Where my angst is coming from and the moving part is true is that we don't want to be landlords again so will be putting it up for sale after they move out August 31st.

Sounds fine so far right?

The stress is coming from the the fact the rest of my car collection & parts are in the large garage and carport and there is NO room for them at home until I get the garage addition built. Even with that being done (should I find a contractor available in this short time span... ) I have to find storage for the Special (and the Nash if not sold by then).

Hence my shout out to stop the clock and get some ducks in a row!

I'm actually at the property now repairing a roof leak that has appeared from the heavy rain storm we had all night Friday into Saturday. Looks like a branch broke off one of the many trees here and punctured a shingle or two. Going to spread several coats of tar repair for now since it is to be dry for the next few days...

The weather at 90 plus hasn't been helping either this past week and a half but know when to quit to avoid heat stroke again.

It's nice today in the low 80's with a light breeze.

Man I wish the Special was together as it's perfect for a top down drive tonight!

If I dissapear for awhile guys it's 'cause I might be a little preoccupied...

Oh for the love of cars.

Having been to your place Lance I think you might understand where I'm at right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dei said:

The simple answer is no..., but yes.

See I have two places, our principle residence where the Limited is in the garage and another place that my son & daughter-in-law has been renting for some time. They decided a month ago to look for a house to call it their home and raise my soon to be expected grandson. (due October 31st)

Where my angst is coming from and the moving part is true is that we don't want to be landlords again so will be putting it up for sale after they move out August 31st.

Sounds fine so far right?

The stress is coming from the the fact the rest of my car collection & parts are in the large garage and carport and there is NO room for them at home until I get the garage addition built. Even with that being done (should I find a contractor available in this short time span... ) I have to find storage for the Special (and the Nash if not sold by then).

Hence my shout out to stop the clock and get some ducks in a row!

I'm actually at the property now repairing a roof leak that has appeared from the heavy rain storm we had all night Friday into Saturday. Looks like a branch broke off one of the many trees here and punctured a shingle or two. Going to spread several coats of tar repair for now since it is to be dry for the next few days...

The weather at 90 plus hasn't been helping either this past week and a half but know when to quit to avoid heat stroke again.

It's nice today in the low 80's with a light breeze.

Man I wish the Special was together as it's perfect for a top down drive tonight!

If I dissapear for awhile guys it's 'cause I might be a little preoccupied...

Oh for the love of cars.

Having been to your place Lance I think you might understand where I'm at right?

Oh, I can relate to lack of space.  Ordinary folks would just say we have too many cars and parts, but we know better, right?

I hope all goes well with the move.  Sad you have to sell a car, but I've been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lancemb said:

I hope all goes well with the move.  Sad you have to sell a car, but I've been there.

I was pretty sure you would get what is going on with me and remember that black Roady you had up for sale. Nice car! 

At a different time I might have been a '57 convert as it really appealed to me but... only car guys get that.

For added peace of mind last night I added some heavy mill plastic after supper I had in case the patch on the shingles does quite take.

IMG_7168.thumb.JPG.51a465e2994fad4aefcf5f0cd1d6b0be.JPG

While on the roof I looked things over and saw branches have crushed down a vent also further back.

IMG_7171.thumb.JPG.1761da1f515687a335af620ec953a975.JPG

My reason to purchase this property was three fold.

When Dad offered to gift me the Overland, Whippet and Nash, the place he had built a 28x40 pole barn was on my sisters property on the edge of the City. She had sold it to move to the States and he ended up renting it back for about 10 years... That property was right in the path of a major road development of a new road/highway system to the new bridge crossing the Detroit River (it's coming but slowly guys) so knew there would be a move to new storage in the works then as it was purchased by the Province and was to be torn down. 

I already had the Special and my '52 inside the garage you see for the trade of grounds keeping services and sadly, when the owner passed away, I approached the inheritor asking what their plans were? Needless to say we worked out an agreeable offer/sale price and looked at it as an investment for my retirement fund down the road.

The original garage was a 2 and a half car ending at that 2nd window until the Dad added the back section with a screened in area and fireplace.

Interesting bit of trivia regarding him. His name was Joe Maniaci, a football player for the Chicago Bears who was awarded MVP in 1939 and then became head Coach at  Saint Louis University.

I never met him but became friends with his daughter, again sadly until her passing and the consequent purchasing of the property.

With the inherited three cars and the pending loss of Dad's pole barn, once I purchased the property I measured and took out the interior back wall to the screened in room which gave me enough space, albeit tight, to get five cars inside. It's been a great place all these years but as others have said, if you have more space you never really do because you fill it up!

I've envied Auburnseeker at times seeing his highly crafted building but now think, if I had a building that size, I would be in 10 times the stress that I have now...

The third reason I felt (in my mind) this property would be good for me was that my oldest son was ready to move out so worked out a rent agreement with him and some of his friends.

That will be left for another time and place to discuss but here I am today basically due to the natural course of life's events.

Hope this doesn't bore anyone with the details but it is all because of what started by keeping my 1st two cars which happened to be both 1958 Buick's. 

2128434075_1958BuickLimited-January11971-brokenujoint-pic1-copy.thumb.jpg.32a09d8fa5981d79653a858405e105f4.jpg

1883192948_58Special-Dayofpurchase@KenMcKenzies1972.thumb.jpg.add2912e6aed0d5efae3aa6fcf90a37c.jpg

• Like 4

Not boring at all Doug. Thanks for the info. I really like what you said about never having enough space, as the more I have, the more cars I buy!

Some people do think I'm crazy, and they might be right, but as long as I'm enjoying the ride, so what!

Keith

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, Buicknutty said:

Some people do think I'm crazy, and they might be right, but as long as I'm enjoying the ride, so what!

Keith

Can't agree with you more on the "so what" part Keith.

What's getting to me is getting the 'storage together time line' right now.

It's in the details like "to get to this I need to have this, then to have that this needs to happen" all of which has a time line on top of those things!!

There is a very dim light at the end of the tunnel as of now but expecting something else to crop up and have to be dealt with...

I have great respect for General Contractors that orchestrates sub contractors for any kind of building projects!!

I've experienced personally the rath of a GC in my trade service more than once, hence my appreciation now in those shoes.

Looking on the bright side, where I will be 6 months from now will be, looking back, better for me and my wife. 

Have to keep reminding myself what I've said before, Getting there is half the fun...

• Like 4

Life is whizzing along... (at least no one in the family has contracted the virus)

Still dealing with a heat wave but just like our winter weather changes, after that first month one seems to get acclimatized and moves along.

After waiting for my mechanic to come over to the Nash I bit the bullet and had her towed to his shop. 

IMG_7187.thumb.JPG.22042ea3daddbe0c6d211f058394eb0e.JPG

IMG_7188.thumb.JPG.82f97c4993c7cfaa5a67c023f9c095d2.JPG

The driver/operator stated he had 15 years experience and showed me pictures of some of the unusual cars he hauled making me assured he would not over tighten the cables and harming the unit body frame. The car is solid (in my opinion) but over torquing an old car isn't a good thing.

I followed behind to settle up and fortunately it wasn't very far from home.

IMG_7190.thumb.JPG.445ac5a1a3d627782463c4171426be15.JPG

I will feel better about having her running before I entertain listing for sale.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts Joe.

Wish I could keep her. Didn't someone on the Forums here state, You can't keep them all ?

Meantime,

Went to my buddies that owns the green Cadillac as he has a sectional garage door that will work perfectly on the back wall of my garage at home. My plan is to use it to keep dust down when working on the Limited parking the Overland, Whippet and my Ford F1 in the new addition.

Joe had his garage greatly expanded and put in a bigger wider door but saved the old one thinking someone could use it. Typical car guy thinking huh!

IMG_7192.thumb.JPG.88d6f1cc86ae310731a0425db4b3266d.JPG

The full garage width shed he has on the back of his looks about like my garage with the Special and those 4 sections were way at the back requiring moving lots of stuff just to get hands on them to be able to pass them out to me.

The fact it is on the west side of the garage and no air circulation had us both soaking wet from sweat in a very short time!

He found everything short of a few hinges and with being only 9 feet wide things fit in my trailer quite nicely.

Once things were put back inside (he sorted through some stuff he decided needed to go) we locked up and decided to sit down for a break.

Have to say sitting inside his garage beside the Cadillac, that cold Blue Lite never tasted so good as then!!!

IMG_7191.thumb.JPG.2bdf0bd2054934126eac4dc32b24a687.JPG

Hopefully this weekend I can finish cleaning parts off the Limited, to pull her out enough to get the last good tire on and park her on the side of the driveway covered to then rearrange shelves and stuff to cut open the wall for the new/used garage door. Having that door in place will provide better access for the building materials needed for the addition also.

Oh and it's supposed to be in the mid 90's all weekend....

IMG_7193.thumb.JPG.5638d3e01231b32d4dd50d38a782fc4f.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just back from my big 4 hour lawn job and taking a few minutes break before hitting two more residential customers.

IMG_7194.thumb.JPG.742b89bcf94f37e9185f9f6b371156e8.JPG

I agree Lance it will be good to see the Limited outside again!

My wife doesn't know it yet but I plan on leaving the Limited in her usual parking spot for her van under the tent till construction of the addition will start. (DANGEROUS  I KNOW - LOL)

That alone will allow me working room inside to clear shelves, take off the wall panelling and remove the insulation before cutting out the opening. I might have a wall plug or two and some wiring to move also. It will also be a good time to put some plywood on the ceiling back there to stop the plastic from coming loose and be a stronger anchor for the garage door tracks. I'm installing it to roll up into the existing garage not the new addition. Should things work out, the new addition with the door down, might turn into a bit of a man cave?

Just putting it out there but ready for plans to change...

Edited by dei
adding a picture (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After returning home for a late lunch I figured it was time to get into the garage with the Limited and start cleaning off the things that have piled up to prepare for dragging her outside.

After a cool drink and a sandwich checked the temperature and almost quit before I even started.

IMG_7201.thumb.JPG.52d0143c3bf6d51be2eeb850c4e4ffd5.JPG

Naturally being in Canada it reads in celsius ... I still can't get used to that! 

It converts to 91.4 real temperature but the "Feels Like" reading is 98.6.

Decided to open the back window and bring my industrial fan inside to try and keep cool.

IMG_7202.thumb.JPG.3d847a0d3c7f81d57341c22031986069.JPG

IMG_7203.thumb.JPG.0cc68fc4ac462368ab9af69096427748.JPG

That sure helped and started removing things, sorting out spares and such labelling and boxing as I went.

IMG_7206.thumb.JPG.619b29312ee391265abd2c1dc5d9f62a.JPG

Need to get more organised as finding things like a rebuilt oil pump might come in handy when I finally get at the Limited motor.

IMG_7208.thumb.JPG.3f72f66bd98c54ae8523f5f5b7988575.JPG

Some more sorting uncovered a small box with these in them.

IMG_7214.thumb.JPG.3e2d086971d5b0f59ef992dd9e251752.JPG

My Limited only has the drivers side mirror now but I obviously picked up the NOS passenger side and another NOS driver side over the years. Not sure if there is a difference but the numbers on the box are not the same.

I uncovered the kick panels from the car and gave them a quick cleaning before wrapping them up as they have been off for a long time to gain access to the nut that holds the fenders on.

IMG_7210.thumb.JPG.510fdf4223eab9b1f2b4542acc8892ef.JPG

The trim has the usual marks from use one would expect of a car that has 54,000 miles but might see if I can get most of them out or at least reduce the most obvious ones.

IMG_7211.thumb.JPG.4c446b0309762c2d5d6b9bdca18764a1.JPG

I was going to kick myself when I came upon these two fuel pumps having needed one a few years ago till I thought about when I bought them. It was most likely before the introduction of ethanol so would likely need to put new gaskets in to avoid a break down on the road. They read for 58's but there is a slight difference in the main body.

Does anyone know if that would make any difference?

IMG_7212.thumb.JPG.021579e98a5f02cfe1acadb894c326a8.JPG

• Like 2

My wife left me playing in the garage and finally had to call me to come in for a late supper but accomplished what I wanted to get done. The trunk is finally cleared off...

IMG_7215.thumb.JPG.f8a1094d9b40dcd4186e6def8d8e7ade.JPG

I was able to open the trunk lid but not completely as it wouldn't clear the shelf unit due to having the front end on jack stands still.

IMG_7219.thumb.JPG.0ee9e819f851e5c94537f88fa1cba44f.JPG

I had forgotten I'd put the trunk card board from both Limited's and the Roadmaster in there, it's been that long...

IMG_7217.thumb.JPG.d2a2f56387d1af46e1db3c398cf535fa.JPG

With the fan doing it's job and the radio at a decibel above the roar of the fan I managed to bag, sort, label and box the rest of the stuff on top of the upside down hood resting on the roof.

IMG_7221.thumb.JPG.adda7a1e1c54b4eb810d03d43bc2c212.JPG

Pleased with myself getting this far. I honestly can say I have not laid eyes on that sign for quite awhile.

IMG_7224.thumb.JPG.1665e99f454f017c295ffb8948d5cdd7.JPG

Before calling it a night (it was 10:30) I grabbed my tape for hellery and did a rough measurement.

I think a 9 foot door is going to give me lots of room to get her in the back if I want to.

IMG_7227.thumb.JPG.853587de800fd5dcd4b66feb6d3e0aa3.JPG

There is lots more clearing up of things on the floor in front before I can drop her down on her tires and drag her out (on that rear passenger flat tire) but with a forecast of rain tomorrow afternoon, might get a chance to accomplish that...

• Like 3

Nice treasure trove! 

Yes, the mirrors have a slightly different shape at the base and are opposite one another.  All that trouble for a passenger side mirror which is basically only fir cosmetics since most of the mirror head will be blocked by the pillar from the driver's POV!

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:53 AM, lancemb said:

Nice treasure trove! 

With having started going to swap meets with Dad since the age of 13 and knowing when I got the Buick's I was going to keep them, I bought things when I could afford them for a long time.

Part of that fun now is discovering exactly what I bought since it has been shoved here and there for some time. Sorting it out for the Limited knowing I will put the best of what I have on her is part of the point to finally get her on the road.

Like I found this steering wheel tucked away.

1982955165_Blue1958BuickSteeringWheel-pic2.thumb.JPG.d518162fda8831db10bd93ed4d7e504d.JPG

It's not perfect as evidenced by the cracks at the spokes but can't recall why I would pick up a blue one. It must have been a good deal?

• Like 2

Spent the better part of the afternoon and evening continuing with the cleanup around the garage and finally was able to open the garage door again after putting the Limited back on the ground.

IMG_7236.thumb.JPG.30dd3e4bdb99ee8459203ea6f974c632.JPG

I will be dragging her out to get at the back passenger flat tire later today if the rain quits.

She will sit under the cover with a car cover on once the matching roller tire is on and then pull her out from under to sit on the side of the driveway later once I get the back wall opened up making access to the back easier for construction materials for the addition.

My wife hasn't commented on this plan yet but at least I laid out the plan... Married 40 years this past May so should be no real surprises right? LOL

IMG_7237.thumb.JPG.735e52c3b317e25d6735298b31dd5357.JPG

Thinking I might bring those two inner fender panels in the basement as they are nicely painted and clean. Back in my hobby train room out of sight might be the way to go...

IMG_7233.thumb.JPG.ed466f626c3d4316b14517a406cdad28.JPG

Moving along...

• Like 4

I want to get it running to show a prospective buyer it's not just a 1500 dollar car so it's at the mechanics shop where I hope he gets to it with his tools and such right there.

Once that is accomplished (I'm going in 5 directions at once right now...) my son's co-worker is interested in it and will see where we have to meet to close a deal. 

57 minutes ago, dei said:

Reviewing the overall storage issue it's slowly becoming apparent that selling my F1 Ford might be next for a sale. Not sure if logical thinking or just the state of mind I'm in... 

070.thumb.JPG.4b90337d359d203d1baa7d52ac733149.JPG

Didn't know you had this.  Cool old truck!

It has been under the radar till now since this is mostly about my Buick's but while I'm on here...

Bought it locally from a family that had two 52's and a 53 over the years. The dad used to load the boys in the box, drive along the county roads having them look for pop bottles in the ditches and cash them in. That was when the deposit was a nickle a bottle. The son that I bought it from said they would be gone all day and had so many bottles the box was full!

The old flathead was running but smoked some (typical flathead Ford dad used to say), and for 1500 as tough as it looked I had it tuned up, put on new standard brakes and rebuilt the transmission which got me on the road.

Guess the boys put their personal touches on it when dad gave it to them and that was sort of what caught my eye seeing it one day out on the side of the road with a For Sale sign.

75159981_1952Ford-Sept2003-originalseatunderseatcover-pic5-Copy.thumb.jpg.2e22db19cc094f911528a04d12d41b2a.jpg

Over that winter I had the seat reupholstered adding my personal touch and cleaned/painted the floor of the cab which was not rusted out at all.

1249351341_1952Ford-Jan2004-seatrecovered-Copy.thumb.jpg.ca2326bacebae4580990f75a815195c0.jpg

That next spring I was happily moving on down the road killing mosquitoes.

378626552_1952FordF1-HertageVillageOntario.thumb.jpg.c31b982df346bfca30a3f61d32378d74.jpg

It's the original drive train with the 6 volt positive ground wiring (needs to be replaced, which I have new from Dennis Carpenter to install). Those rims need to be kept up as there is some rust but with the tires that are on her it drives and handles like any old truck with a straight axle should.

1411169680_Sept152011-pic2-Copy(3).thumb.JPG.888d10a14f2910bb9f68209fcd5f415d.JPG

I also have both steel front fenders, a lower valance and fibre glass running boards if I ever get to it but have had many fun miles driving just way she is.

On occasion I would put my magnetic signs on and go to do an estimate. More than one potential customer commented that he got the message on my sign that says, "Since 1953". Not everyone in the general public knows the difference between a 52 & 53.

That blue motor you see on the engine stand in front of the Limited is one I bought from a guy that swore it has only 35,000 miles on it. I got it running and idling with not very much effort sitting on the cement in the driveway so tend to believe him.

I'm torn as to parting with it right now but time is against me getting at it too I guess...

1952 Ford - Sept 2003 - safety work - pic2 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

That's a good looking unit @dei.  And, while you did not ask for opinions, there is a thought process that says:  if it has to go, better to sell it yourself now, than to leave it to heir's to sell.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks John I appreciate it!

My son that's moving and I discussed the truck and possibly my selling to which he expressed he really liked it but... with a new house and his first child coming it was going to be a bit more than he wanted to take on right now, otherwise...

It's too bad the garage he will have is only a car and a half or he just might have inherited it earlier.

I do feel the truck will sell much quicker than the Nash simply because of it being more desirable. The fact it has F**d on it ensures that even more. 

My neighbour is Not a car guy but does own a Carrea convertible. He is in construction and keeps saying to my wife, "You want I should help Doug out and bring my bin over?" Told the two of them should that happen I will rise up and haunt them both for the rest of their natural lives so shut up and pour me another glass!!

This whole year has been a mental adjustment for a lot of things as I'm sure with many others here too. Just wish to say, you guys are the best.

Thanks for letting me work things out out loud, it helps some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just realised this morning it's the deadline for picture entry to Pete for the October issue of our cars that we would have driven or brought to the 2020 National this year so spent some time going through my picture files (and I have a lot!).

I emailed it and Pete just confirmed it will be in the edition.

This will be the first published picture of the Special in the Bugle. 😎

Might just have to buy the hard copy edition as I only get the electronic membership.

• Like 2

That's very nice of you Bill! Thanks.

I'm going to try and book a room again for next year in Strongsville and let's hope this pandemic has seen it's last fight by then that we don't have to do a National Meet in a magazine again...

My other boy has booked their wedding for Jul 3, 2021 so with fingers crossed it's going to be a busy month.

Yesterday we had a bin delivered (albeit later than promised) for removal of both our junk from the house and what I think is to go from the garage.

IMG_7248.thumb.JPG.3e7345241bb10a277dbe0debd58ecd6c.JPG

Could just about fit a car in that thing but it would have to be a convertible to be able to get out of it (oh the shame of that thought...).

I knew there were shelves of cleaning chemicals, old paint cans and weed killer and the like in the basement that had to be treated separately so brought my trailer over and squeezed it between the bin and hedge carefully. Surprised myself and son getting it in there with only two moves.

IMG_7259.thumb.JPG.351bb4422106ee073881a729ee9e5750.JPG

Loooong day eventually feeding a few mosquitoes before calling it quits but made headway with the house! Long story but there is a lifetime of the original owners things that were left in the low ceiling service basement that we kept saying we were going to take our time, sort through and throw out.... Now it's time to do it all at once!

Finding a few "Pickers Treasures" (maybe?) and some things are out at the curb for the scrapper and yard sale resellers to lessen the weight charge for the bin like this beautiful hard wood head and foot board. My son is good with Kijiji and figures he'll get a buck or two for them.

That will offset the cost of the bin some.

IMG_7256.thumb.JPG.b24bde257597560b576e4fb108d2899c.JPG

Once the house junk is loaded I hope to attack the garage as we have the bin for 7 days before it has to be picked up and with Monday being a Provincial Holiday (Civic Holiday) I can literally pick my way through hings and decided what needs to go or stay. 

IMG_7249.thumb.JPG.bf7245b3d11bcf6a7dd02e5da5fe3d98.JPG

Fortunately I have made an arrangement with a fellow to use his 10x20 bin for the Buick parts and such. Willing to help me out and says we will work it out for trade of services. That can be risky but right now, helps out a great deal. Time is going to tell on that...

Now, if I could find a buyer for the house at the price I think the appraiser is accurate about...

To Be Continued. 

You'll be surprised at how fast you can fill that dumpster up!  I was in one of my "throw everything away" moods last weekend and it took me 3 trips to our shop to empty my truck bed of crap that we've had since we moved into this house 3 years ago....and never used.  It's a great feeling to purge some of this stuff.

• Like 3

Work had to be in play Saturday morning so went out and had to fuel the mower and trimmer up plus restring the line before starting. 

IMG_7263.thumb.JPG.f276f82690a27d6c1ec3607e3ebadb43.JPG

As this was going on doesn't the boss show up (unusual) but with some good news for me. Seems they had contracted a company to spray around the buildings to kill the weeds and on some of the chain link fences so only had to cut the big field as they wanted the stuff to act on fully leafed plants and hopefully cut down on the trimming time.

Cool! That cut down my time there and could return to the house/garage sooner than expected.

Sometimes things do work out for the good but wondered how the spray is going to work out.

It started to spit rain on the way back home and when I got there it just teamed!! Not my problem with that but now have to transfer things into the bin in the rain as radar showed it to be on going off and on all day.

I left the night before having gathered all the paints and chemicals knowing the bin would not allow it and figured taking it to the City Disposal Site doing the responsible thing.

IMG_7265.thumb.JPG.8f375afc7b0e2aec7853913635b84a44.JPG

This stuff as stated earlier has been in there for a long time as evidenced by the Ajax cans. As old as I am I don't believe I've ever seen that label. Not sure what was up but found about 16 cans there...

IMG_7264.thumb.JPG.85f9cf986089c68c0647431846d21dc3.JPG

Hooked up the trailer and took off in the light sprinkle and found the Saturday lineup just like I expected... After finally clearing the scales, pulled up to the building with mask on and waited for the attendant. This facility takes this stuff for free and has helped the landfills and ditches from being littered so expected no issues till, after finally understanding the guy, that I was limited to certain amounts to be left!!! Huh? Example - 20 litre of paint cans per visit?  There is the sign Sir. Seriously? 

Oh but you can come back again and dump them for free then, otherwise you have to pay.

Ya that's going to happen waiting again the 30 minutes in line to dump for free... Said I'd find another way to get rid of what you won't take now just as the rain started to pound down!

Everything is a process with regulation rules, I know. I've dealt with that for 47 years in my business but I'm very aware that it is more regulated than ever now! (Am I just getting Old??)

The guy must have seen that no one was waiting behind me and maybe took pity on a grumpy old man saying, Go ahead bring it all on the table. 
I would have reached out and shook his hand for that but Social Distancing you know, I said a heartfelt "Thank you" as the rain now felt like the start of the Forty days & Forty Nights! 

(Sorry for the rant gang)

• Like 2

After picking up some drinks (for later?) got back to the Bin and went inside to continue getting  stuff to the stair landing before bringing it out & into the bin.

Must describe what it is taking place...

The house was built in 1908 and explains the reason why the service utility basement is what it is, no one back then considered using a basement like we do today.

Being over well over 6 feet tall the height is a challenge for me as when I stand straight up the floor rafters are almost below my jaw and have to be careful not to hit my head on the occasional nail sticking down from the hardwood flooring upstairs!!

That beam you see is even lower and can't tell you the number of times I've almost blacked out from not ducking down low enough to get to the other side...

IMG_7261.thumb.JPG.fa91f7509b42869a87d7429cb868f84d.JPG 

When you say Lance (I meant to type ADAM... sorry) that I will be amazed how quickly the bin will fill up, just look at what I started with.

IMG_7251.thumb.JPG.cab0453a43834d1cb0cb2bd5a88752af.JPG

Thank heavens we have the bin for a week...

Somewhere I have a black & white picture from a neighbour of the house about 1939 showing mine before the renovation and hers were the only homes around with apple orchards all around. 

The last owners before me did a second floor renovation with two story addition back in the 50's and updated the wiring to 120 amp service at that time plus new interior plastering.

Being a 5 bedroom house hoping someone will feel it's worth saving but will likely see it torn down and a new home built on the large lot.

On my way over to continue haul stuff upstairs. 

And so it goes...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Doug lives n Canada and the borders are closed at the moment.

That's right Bill.

The border closure was extended recently till August 21st and living right on the border to Michigan (Detroit is my entry point) boy do I miss going over!

I wish I could get over to see both 1957buickjim and 95cardinal.

Joe was kind  enough to inform me of 364 motor that supposedly came out of running '58 Buick where he was going to drive to getting parts for one of his cars. The price seemed fair enough so he put it in his pickup, brought it to his warehouse and is storing it there till things open up again...

I thought it would be good to connect it to the transmission I have waiting for the Limited, drop them in the frame and get it running. Even with the rad off it would be easier to move the Limited around that way rather than trying to push it. 

After seeing the video Smartin posted of his then Limited chasis, driving it down the road and back on a milk crate (?) ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After another long day ending it with going to see the Limited and found myself doing what I love best. Found another can of Carabuna Cleaner Wax and spent an hour waxing  some of her black paint.

It's no where near show field quality but under the garage lights looks pretty good to dream and sleep well tonight.

20200802_230226.thumb.jpg.0fa0b38049d4c4b1eaafae7f1ef99137.jpg

• Like 5