ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

I went by today to check on the trap only to find it was over on it's side with the door shut and the cat food can outside cleaned out!!!!

I think I need a bigger trap!

I took JohnD1956's advise and started the Special up leaving it on high idle with all doors closed (but left the two entry holes open).

Watched but didn't see anything scurry out but... maybe they moved faster than I do right now?

The trap is baited again but on the ground outside till I get a the bigger one....

This discussion reminds me of a camping trip our family took with our neighbors years ago.  A raccoon (or two?) got into one of the coolers in the food tent one night.  The next morning I found one of those 5 lb. tubs of margarine licked clean!  I'll bet that critter couldn't travel more than 50 feet without stopping to squat after that meal!  ;)

• Haha 1

With cautious mobility returning I have been checking on the trap hoping to take it for a ride out into the country but...

Having recent light snow falls hasn't shown any tracks into or out of the over hang so tomorrow will grab a coffee and small box of Tim bits to close things up. (with a proper ladder naturally...)

I also have a new box of staples for my staple gun and will see about getting the plastic back up as I want to remove the dash top on the Special to recover the top and change out the speedometer, light switch and radio.

IMG_6459.thumb.JPG.faa0a35356feb76539f20d060eddd0bd.JPG

IMG_6458.thumb.JPG.c28a654da5a144bb9abaf85eaf72b9ce.JPG

I put that up to help hold a little heat when I did the brake job after getting the motor freed up.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Maybe after I'm done eating as much as I can and have some left for the elusive bugger. :rolleyes:

Actually things didn't go as planed (again) as Mom has me busy with a few things...

After replacing the pull down strap on the back hatch she says, I want to show you something" and moves to the front passenger corner pointing.

IMG_6461.thumb.JPG.d4184a27a25ed77df4edba6ce5de9b88.JPG

Tells me she didn't notice it till cleaning off the snow we had yesterday and thinks it might have been done in the grocery store parking lot Friday...

It could have as I found no scratch marks on the bumper but given a few more hearing and an odd conversation or two, feeling I need to be there more often and see how things go.

Not looking forward to pulling the Power of Attorney paper should it get to that.

Mondays are always busy so finally went around to the Garage and low & behold didn't I catch someones pet cat. I knew it was a pet as it had a collar on.

Obviously it wasn't as smart as the 'coon and get out but it ate all the small cat food tin I placed in there.

What else would you do if you were trapped??

It was NOT happy and when opened the gate, took off like a shot from a gun!

Lot's of 'coon tracks around in the snow but didn't hear anything when I went inside...

Tomorrow is supposed to be almost 40 degrees so going to try and close up the place.

I need to be through with this and get back to car stuff....

• Like 1

Went to my local Car Club's Indoor Swap Meet Saturday to get out of the house.

They have a Diner there serving a good breakfast for $8.

It fills a 5,000 square foot room which is used for events like this and weddings.

Nothing there for '58 Buick's but saw many members and paid mine up for 2020.

Met a fellow who has a 1928 McLaughlin Buick saying it was a project but he wants to tackle it and get it back to original.

Turned out  cxgvd (Gary) was there having a good really good conversation who actually told me of this fellow and his car. We both suggested the Forums to him and hope to see him join the fold soon.

As stated, no Buick parts but did find this for a good price.

IMG_6484.thumb.JPG.e73fe9878371f0c5f542402570a44dbe.JPG

It was by itself and did a quick look finding stands are out there but might just make one myself.

The interesting thing about this I didn't notice till cleaning it up was it was stamped Mustang Drive-in Theatre.

IMG_6483.thumb.JPG.63213fbbf3a0f573eef7acaf883cbe41.JPG

Another internet search and found there were three in Ontario by that name the closest of which was in London. That one closed in 2012 but has reopened again.

Being 2 hours away I never went there but having three in the Windsor area and one in Leamington I did drive the Special there the summer I bought her. The favourite spot was at the very back of the lot... 🤩)

Might be too much with my A&W tray on the other side??

Hanging the speaker on the window at a show though will have todays kids a wonderin', What's that Dad? 

• Like 2

After helping my son a bit I came home and slipped into the garage.

Mobility is coming around but endurance well, I know when I've had enough.

Thought I'd clean a bit of the frame and with a rattle can sitting there hit the tops to see whether I need to get more aggressive before final painting.

234141607_58Limited-March1990-Leamington-Copy_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.65e4cefb6f3e8f333bd2f713ac206925.jpg

I do know one thing, I'm not ready to lay on the ground yet to do the bottom of the frame!😧

Got out to the garage this morning organising some things and found this on the floor.

IMG_6509.thumb.JPG.0c1f0278d83d6585c18db0a532352830.JPG

Put a little effort to clean it up and found it needs some more work.

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.8d065d4601e9f33d21e0bd2298727f75.JPG

Heading over to Dad's work shop and see what his buffer wheel might offer...

The trim clean up got side lined as I went to the garage to check out the trap hoping the beast was in there.

Sadly it wasn't but noticed the hole where it scratched through the plastic, then the screen, was even bigger! 

IMG_6516.thumb.JPG.cdbf6dd28389d49164d532020449754c.JPG

That was it!

Started on the soffit panel by the side door only this time with a proper step ladder...

Even with that, man are those things a bugger to get together, especially after they have been bent but I managed.

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.ad9ba97b2ad8e2da5aa310e8b447323c.JPG

No wonder it fell through these as there is no structure underneath to hold them in place and quite a span. That's why I put the one x two on and will paint it white to blend in once the weather is warm enough.

Decided to check inside and sure enough don't I hear some rustling in the rafters on the far side!

With a long length of loose plastic water line I was able to chase it to the back where I thought I heard it scoot down the back soffit that was still open. Just to be sure it was gone I fired up the Special and left it on fast idle while I replaced the soffit panel. (That one was just as fun...)

IMG_6514.thumb.JPG.d0ddabddf3559f8a428b395b387e3d3b.JPG

With the back telling me I had about enough I brought out the roll of plastic from inside and started stapling it over all the four back windows and the two side ones.

Another fun job with those ladders hanging there...

IMG_6520.thumb.JPG.d2e30a6a8c4ee557b2a1662adb682937.JPG

I would have removed them to make it easier access but they are industrial use and are heavy so that option was out being by myself.

Besides, I was pretty sure the critter was gone as I heard it thump on the ladders as the rack rattles very easily.

Deciding I needed a break, shut the Special off. Man was it toasty in there with the holes covered up!

Next I unrolled the chicken wire I brought from Mom's measuring it for the section that had the big hole in it. I stapled it in place and then cut 1x2's to secure the wire and plastic firmly in place.

1555395051_Rankin-Pond-July132016.thumb.JPG.5314fda61c4dcc01554c0c98d14e9d49.JPG

By now the shadows were getting long and knowing the sun sets fast yet around here I cleaned up not wanting to be stumbling around in the dark. (The fact the back was now screaming at me was the real reason... 🤬)

Will be back in the morning (with the back brace pulled tight as I can) and finish with the wire and wood so I can then go inside and staple up the plastic that is hanging...

If I'm not in traction after that... I want to get at the Special to replace the speedometer, headlight switch and the radio.

Feeling sore after doing work on the cars is better than being sore from dealing with this crap!

• Like 3

Having to deal with this stuff when you could be working on a car is a nuisance.  I had my experience the last few years with woodpeckers pecking through my siding and nesting.  After replacing numerous pieces of siding and putting up a gadget to scare them off, I think I've finally convinced them to find another house!

• Like 1

I haven't seen a woodpecker here in over 10 years come to think of it.

Hope you didn't send that annoyance my way Lance!

Two experiences with raccoons and a possum (those things are blind as a bat during the day but present a vicious effort when confronted) is about all the critters I need in one of my garages. 

My future daughter-in-law had an experience last Fall. 

Here in Southern Ontario the region is experiencing an increased coyote population this past 5 years and with a big part of their habitat being taken away for the new Gordie Howe Bridge (crossing the Detroit River into Michigan) plus a recent boom in housing developments, they are being seen quite often roaming the housing areas.

Naturally my son and fiance purchased a home on the edge of that general area.

Imagine your wife sitting under your covered patio on a warm Fall day with your 9 year old partially blind golden lab, when you see three coyotes walking around the corner of your house! 

Fortunately they decided to turn around and go back where they came from.

We all said it was actually a good thing their dog was somewhat blind as she didn't notice them coming into her territory (which has no fence and she was not on a leash).

This was in broad daylight so as my Dad would say, They aren't invading us, they were here first. 

About a month later that Fall the News reported a family had lost their small dog to a coyote while out for a walk. The poor woman stood there helplessly while it disappeared down the street. 

Hmmm... Guess my pain killer and muscle relaxer is finally kicking in and should attempt to get some rest for tomorrows exercise in endurance.

The Special is patiently awaiting her upgrades.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dei said:

haven't seen a woodpecker here in over 10 years come to think of it.

Hope you didn't send that annoyance my way Lance!

Two experiences with raccoons and a possum (those things are blind as a bat during the day but present a vicious effort when confronted) is about all the critters I need in one of my garages. 

84F762EE-0124-4423-91C8-5D463D4D081F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good Morning my fellow Buick friend.

We have to meet someday...

I think I'd enjoy sharing a beer (or two) with you and your sense of humour...

Thanks. :)

(Laughter helps keep me out of the basement emotionally - what else can one do but persevere what is handed to you)

• Like 2

I will be on Saturday 02/29/2020 at the AACA Winter Nationals to be held here in Miami, Fl. My Buick will be there hopping for a Junior. Are you coming down?

otherwise I will in the future, try to visit my neighboring  country up North. I will be retiring in the summer but already Had planned a 4 canyons RV westbound trip. Maybe next year would like to visit Canuckland.......beer is on me!

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately our Florida getting away plans changed this year but as long as I'm here on the Forums, will let you know (and hope you do too if near me) to see if a meeting can be worked out.

Guess you aren't coming to the National Meet in Strongsville, Ohio this year?

It's a long haul for sure with our Buick's but sure they would make it given enough time.

Your trips are a dream of mine in an RV one day. You will have to post some of your adventures. Especially if they include Car related shows and finds.

Best of luck with the judging. She's a beaut!

Later,

Doug

• Like 1

Finally got over to "the garage" and after doing a walk around, finding nothing had tried to re-enter the premises, I took a more leisurely work pace.

Managed to use up the last of the chicken wire so two more of the four back windows are wired up. I have to put the wood straps on them yet but will do that after I get more screen at Mom's place (the price is right anyway). 

IMG_6527.thumb.JPG.c57128aa55d767688b2e9006cffd86d6.JPG

I stapled and trimmed out the two side windows and a small window on the other side with new plastic. Feeling not so worn out today and stepped inside to listen, making sure the 'bane of my existence' was gone.

Waited...waited... and... nothing!    GOOD RIDDANCE!

While in there took a look at the fallen plastic to formulate a plan.

IMG_6523.thumb.JPG.abf2ceb2e0fcd1bb92a848ddd1d6eefa.JPG

Definitely need to start at the big door with a few staples to get it up and away from the door tracks and then move the Special out of the way.

IMG_6525.thumb.JPG.59e1ca8fba216d8df8de7841d63b3827.JPG

Notice the bits of foam torn up sitting on the cover I put over the top?

As it has been said, Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 1

After getting another length of chicken wire at Mom's I went and put it on the last of the back four and one of the side windows. There wasn't enough to do the other side window and decided I will bring my Work Mate bench over tomorrow to set the strapping on as bending over is a pain... (groan).

Brought the few things inside and thought, might as well staple up enough plastic that I could to get out of the way of the door rollers.

IMG_6531.thumb.JPG.d6513f1a66edfce496e4a5f61f8eb7f3.JPG

IMG_6530.thumb.JPG.b18382975ccb033ce5cd53e0f6df35fe.JPG

With that accomplished I opened the door and fired up the Special.

Having started it a few times this past week she fired up nicely and after warming up some, backed out carefully to take the cover off the top and shake it clean.

IMG_6532.thumb.JPG.fffab71fc3d8278846274cb018cadff5.JPG

That black stuff is just scratched up black foam I had in the rafters so no damage to the paint.

IMG_6533.thumb.JPG.9444839798e4bf48e5d82c17d48f8a89.JPG

Left her running while I shook the cover off and folded it up placing it inside the trunk.

Since it was 30 degrees and sunny and hey, the car is out and running, went for a ride around the neighbourhood to exercise the brakes and transmission. Ya, that's my excuse!

When I returned I parked it outside to continue stapling up the plastic I could now reach.

IMG_6537.thumb.JPG.08029c4eaacaf0154fc672a523b6a4e4.JPG

Driving around at a decent clip where I could blew most of the dust off her.

IMG_6536.thumb.JPG.8469d0d35e0ec9dd3d141d6811640a19.JPG

Again with the shadows getting long I parked her inside and locked up for the night.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 43 degrees and sunny so planning on doing the strapping to finish up outside after doing one more window with chicken wire first.

• Like 2

As of today the garage is officially closed to all four legged furry critters!

IMG_6548.thumb.JPG.74b66aa28c525f7ccb1e22db06e99ae3.JPG

Time to move on....

With the weather bringing sunshine and 50 degrees and having some extra time, thought about going out for a ride till I looked at the license plate and realised it was expired. Ooops..,

IMG_6549.thumb.JPG.227219ad0238309669d558613787bf9e.JPG

Backed her out anyway and decided to take the dash top off now as it needs to come off to replace things and be able to recover the padded top.

With the back telling me now and then "Don't do that" what better way to access those screws and bolts but to raise the roof.

IMG_6555.thumb.JPG.31b965dd07954bfe408626ee1ba27de9.JPG

• Like 2

The dash material has really shrunk form the sun & heat.

IMG_6553.thumb.JPG.2a8c517bcbec4a3a8cb4cbce9bd53fe1.JPG

IMG_6554.thumb.JPG.3941af0b4f941e2e9ee98149a0045c5e.JPG

With minimal effort the trim came out. It is not in bad condition so likely will just polish it up before re-installing.

IMG_6557.thumb.JPG.6718c43b00f9be9cbd46ab3a8c61b6e7.JPG

Like most '58 Buick.s the actual crash pad foam has deteriorated and needs replacing but with the Special being smaller in width than the upper series cars, finding a replacement is going to be a challenge.

The upper series cars have a supplier in Europe I believe but it's a King's Ransom to purchase last time I looked.

• Like 1

Next I removed the bolts at the front under the windshield. Due to the angle I used a universal joint with a small ratchet on the 7/16 deep socket.

IMG_6558.thumb.JPG.9c08e9b345fb698411f1775b81729555.JPG 

Next I took out the screws beneath the dash crash pad. Three came out easily but this one presented a problem in that the radio knob was in the way. (notice the courtesy light delete cover)

IMG_6564.thumb.JPG.703384db66af0a2165864341171354a1.JPG 

I had actually done this many years ago when the existing car radio gave up playing and robbed the signal seeking radio out of the Roadmaster. Even though it was AM only I still had to have the local music.

I had forgotten what I did then but came up with a rig that worked once I took the knob off.

IMG_6565.thumb.JPG.06472fe50d188be041c595824871af54.JPG

Fortunately I was able to lay on the seat and reach those screws which save any noise from the back.

• Like 1

I then carefully lifted the dash till I could see the speaker wire as I remembered breaking it before.

(and yes... there is the evidence..)

IMG_6569.thumb.JPG.b3e50981cde1324d50e24732586ffa79.JPG

I'm surprised at how rusty the bottom of it is.

Looks like after I take off the material, insulation and speaker it will be stripped and painted before it goes back in.

IMG_6572.thumb.JPG.95d7dfde226123918ee439da5359b00b.JPG

I did notice the right corner in the picture the metal is clean and shiny. I think this might be what has been an annoying squeak when hitting a few bumps.

Otherwise the inside of the dash appears relatively clean. (so far)

IMG_6570.thumb.JPG.0ef8f500fccb143dbd0afab2267d823f.JPG

• Like 2

I packed up the tools and kept the bolts and screws in a marked freezer bag in case things get delayed going back together...

I then lowered the top and parked her inside. I believe I will be able to work on things inside the garage still with the top up if the weather turns cold again.

Once back home I took the dash top into the garage with the Limited for now.

IMG_6577.thumb.JPG.34210295fd8e04b2405f8a61c803ba1d.JPG

I'll pick a day to bring it inside (inconspicuously) after I strip and paint it. I will then re apply the material downstairs.

• Like 1

Doug, I think you could make the crash pad pretty presentable with some hard foam cut to shape with a utility knife, and a heat gun to warm up the vinyl while setting it in.  I enjoy projects like that, seeing how nice I can make original stuff look with a little creativity and TLC.

• Like 1

I've thought about it...

I wondered about spray foam too.

The vinyl is pretty hard (dried out?) so would be afraid of cracking it more than it is. Do you think heat would soften it up enough to become somewhat pliable?

If you notice in the one picture it is cracked on one of the embossed seams.

Took a guy for a ride (once..) and he just naturally had to squeeze the pad and...

Haven't seen him for some time.

8 hours ago, dei said:

I've thought about it...

I wondered about spray foam too.

The vinyl is pretty hard (dried out?) so would be afraid of cracking it more than it is. Do you think heat would soften it up enough to become somewhat pliable?

If you notice in the one picture it is cracked on one of the embossed seams.

Took a guy for a ride (once..) and he just naturally had to squeeze the pad and...

Haven't seen him for some time.

I think the heat gun will soften it up enough to fit the foam in.  I did this to stretch shrunken dash vinyl back a bit.  I wouldn't use the spray foam as its tough to judge how much to use, and too much will expansion may make it too "puffy" or even crack it.

• Thanks 1

Gathered up the items that are going in the dash to replace the things not working up to specs.

I will be taking them over to the Special today and see what I can get accomplished after a few duties to perform.

IMG_6578.thumb.JPG.7cc495b3b75eb8507e961a562ab7bc81.JPG

The replacement vinyl they are sitting on will remain here (in the heat) for when I'm ready to recover the dash panel top.

It's a close match grain wise to the small dash pad that will also be put on.

IMG_6580.thumb.JPG.3fe5e29794bbbf218ee06d98eebc8b38.JPG

• Like 2

dei wrote:

As of today the garage is officially closed to all four legged furry critters!

IMG_6548.thumb.JPG.74b66aa28c525f7ccb1e22db06e99ae3.JPG

Careful, Doug...

Now that you have banned those poor creatures to the Canadian winter, have the PETA people been notified?  🦝:lol:

But seriously, glad to see that you've got it all buttoned up and the Special looks happy, too!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 95Cardinal said:

But seriously, glad to see that you've got it all buttoned up and the Special looks happy, too!

You know Joe she (a.k.a. me) will be even happier when I get that speedometer, radio and small dash pad back together that you were able to provide for me!

Many, many Thanks! 🏁

I eventually brought the parts to the Special today but not till after being at Mom's.

I've mentioned getting the chicken wire from her place and should say that it is coming from a screened in garden Dad built to keep the squirrels away from his beloved strawberries.

Both Mom & dad were raised on small farms and having gardens were natural things to have. 

Mom let this one go after Dad passed as it was producing too much more than she could eat (or give away) and with the wood frame deteriorating, told me to remove it.

it felt sort of sad to tear down something that your father built and tended to...

Thought I might have even caught sight of him going into his wood shop today.

Other than the six corner 4X4's its all down so went over to the Special with the parts to be installed.

I used a large container that was there after I removed the die cast Buick models I had in there.

Decided to bring the Limited 2 door home to sit on my shelf.

IMG_6581.thumb.JPG.02832051d0bf525e316d799d1dcd6355.JPG  

I purchased this one at the National in South Bend.

IMG_6583.thumb.JPG.77e8e20110107bdfe1173e713276cc1d.JPG

1091730270_58Limited-March1990-Leamington-Copy_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.67cf5c6bfd99946d7cd7c4b83411444c.jpg

I really like these Sun Star models and have the Limited Convertible and the Wells Fargo also.

If anyone has the two door Limited in BLACK that would consider selling I'd like to talk.

It would look good sitting on the air cleaner with the hood up at a car show.

• Like 1

Missed "the Big Storm" yesterday and last night but had maybe 4-5 inches.

Feel bad for those of you that did get more but that was enough for me right now...

394528863_ScofieldAve-February272020.thumb.JPG.08c2ba026b2df3a72f23886293420a8d.JPG

Took care of ours for the wife and grabbed a coffee to do a customers then Mom's after which I went over to the Special.

IMG_6588.thumb.JPG.768a35efef253947302d10b4c1036983.JPG

Figured this was a good time to walk around to see if the critters were trying to back get in...

IMG_6590.thumb.JPG.bc595412647b685d99a03d603d65a016.JPG

Looks like I displaced the whole family!!

So far looks like the chicken wire is holding.

Weather is supposed to be in the 40's on Sunday so will see what I can get done then ...

IMG_6589.thumb.JPG.9d9b51aa8f98dfd7a39d348063921dcc.JPG

• Like 1

Decided to tackle the Special today.

Raised the top in the garage and looked at getting the headlight switch out first.

Man is that thing buried down in there...

IMG_6597.thumb.JPG.6ee5e9afc229c6012fe00125842b044d.JPG

It might look easy to reach down in there to get the electrical plug off but...

I then thought to take out the speedometer with the hopes of gaining more access.

IMG_6598.thumb.JPG.2d956496b8e35fc4e0537c31fad1bdc6.JPG

That proved just as frustrating as the fourth nut (on the bottom lower left) is about as inaccessible. 

If the windshield was out MAYBE things would be easier so... laid things out making notes for the re-installation and headed home for dinner taking a break for now.

• Like 1

After dinner went out to the Limited and decided to work on cleaning up the frame a bit as sitting on a rolling stool wasn't as tough as bending over the dash.

IMG_6603.thumb.JPG.6b9d7f94f2edac72ac8d7692387c01d7.JPG

Doing what I can, when I can.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dei said:

IMG_6597.thumb.JPG.6ee5e9afc229c6012fe00125842b044d.JPG

It might look easy to reach down in there to get the electrical plug off but...

Not being familiar with the '58 layout, nor your planned  process, I am wondering why the switch needs to come out?  

And, if it does,  why you would not pull the headlight switch handle off, and then remove the entire switch and harness from the bottom of the dash, leaving the wiring harness attached? 

John, The switch has contact issues regarding the dash lights and back seat courtesy lights and with having another one sitting on the shelf figured I'd try that one out.

With also putting in a working speedometer and working radio figured now is the time with everything opened up.

It's hard to see but there is a bracket below the switch and with my back still not 100%, laying on the floor reaching up and around it is more than I can deal with right now. 

I do have the switch out going from the top and working on the speedometer but thinking I will remove the radio next to access that bottom nut on the speedo.

Like all projects I had a crazy thought to strip the dash and repaint it...

I really just want things to work like they are supposed to but...

• Like 1