Door sagging problem

Guest Classic Rog

Guest Classic Rog

Hi, Anybody know how to repair a sagging driver's door on a 1955 Ford wagon? Don't know if it's repairable without finding a replacement hinge assembly. These hinges can come from 55 or 56 model Ford as far as I know. Hard to find these, I found out. The sag isn't major. Just enough to be annoying. Thanks :)

Gotta find out what's loose, worn or rusted away before you can fix it. Maybe the bolts are loose. If it's worn hinges they most likely can be rebushed/repinned/repaired. If the body is rusted out you got bigger problems. Can't fix it if you don't know what the problem is................Bob

I would suspect it's pin/bushing wear. There are many kits for modern vehicles which might be adapted to your "iron" Ford, if there aren't any from the major '50s Ford vendors.

Be sure to have a floor jack to support the door as you might remove it from the car! If it's metal fatigue, you don't want to worsen it by letting the door "hang" from one hinge as the other one is removed.

Should be a repairable situaiton, I suspect.

Regards,

NTX5467

It may not be "Kosher", but I saw an old-time mechanic solve that problem on a car with a large, long door (a 2-door model generally has heavier doors).

He opened the door just enough to get a floor jack under a long 2x4 board. Then he slowly jacked up the end of the door farthest from the hinge until it was a bit higher than he wanted it. After test-closing, and repeating the process, he eventually got it where he wanted it. He told me he had learned that trick from an old guy when he was an apprentice-boy. the "fix" lasted for many, many years, and was eventually repeated.

Guest Classic Rog

Thanks fellows, appreciate all replies. This is my first classic car. Hoping its not a rust problem. This car really doesn't show much rust, at least on the surface. Rog