racer2_uk

1913 36 model 17 in the UK

afternoon everybody,

Just a couple more photo's from the Ariel motorcycle rally I attended on the Chalmers,

Arielmotorcyclerally004_zpsb5530535.jpg

Arielbikerally003_zps3366ab9e.jpg

The new Ariel Ace

Arielmotorcyclerally010_zps5eb18508.jpg

Andy

Just discovered this great thread! Thanks for posting all the photos. You are a shining example of enthusiasm in the hobby.

Hi Barry and all,

Barry, thanks for your kind thoughts, driving these wonderful cars gives us so much pleasure, we need to shout about it !

it is quite clear from your signature list that you have "more than just an interest" yourself, well done.

I will add some more photo's after the Loton Park hillclimb in a couple of weeks time, thanks again.

Andy

Andy, I will look forward to that! The best car "show" I ever attended was the Prescott hill climb ( 2008) Of course most I spoke with there said "oh but you must go to Shellsley or you must not miss Goodwood !

You are all spoiled over there! Cheers, Barry

Hello everybody,

This year's Loton Park hillclimb event has been another wonderful weekend with lot's of sun and a great atmosphere.

The Chalmers ran perfectly all weekend and we ended up with the Edwardian class first handicap time tankard !

Along with the Chalmers in the Edwardian class were a Buick 45, a Stutz, a Vauxhall and a Detroit built Essex.

Here are just a few photo's from the weekend.

Loton2014034_zpsf896e8e4.jpg

Loton2014016_zpsdb681f29.jpg

Rachael Williams in the supercharged JAP v-twin Hardy III special

Loton2014059_zps82834b75.jpg

the V-Twin 4.2 litre "Thunderbug"

Loton2014006_zpscf07302a.jpg

the Piccard-Pictet with a WW1 V8 Sturtevant aero engine

Loton2014074_zps104b0544.jpg

the Brazier with a WW1 V8 Hispano

Loton2014081_zpsf03fc4c7.jpg

Andy

Edited by racer2_uk (see edit history)

Good evening everybody,

A great day at the Shuttleworth collection for their race day event, the Chalmers mixing with some very famous engineering icon's.

Shuttleworth2014001_zps1005ed16.jpg

Shuttleworth2014011_zps24326fff.jpg

Shuttleworth2014029_zps80b9fd7a.jpg

Shuttleworth2014007_zps3812e283.jpg

Shuttleworth2014038_zpsa5c4e1fb.jpg

Shuttleworth2014092_zps9bbd925c.jpg

Thanks to the Shuttleworth collection for inviting us along.

Andy

Evenin everyone,

Now the workshop is warmer than outside it is time to get some winter job's started on the Chalmers,

the wheels have been removed and have been sent away for new wooden spokes, the gearbox and clutch have also been removed ready for a rebuild and the crown wheel and pinion maybe changed for a slightly higher ratio for a better cruising speed.

Chalmerswheels006_zpsb1e99ba8.jpg

Chalmersgearbox001_zps79827316.jpg

Chalmersgearbox009_zps46cce8e6.jpg

Chalmersengine016_zpsb07c0ba0.jpg

other than the clutch hub being very stubborn, everything has come apart quite easily.

Andy

Hi old car enthusiasts,

I have stripped the Chalmers gearbox to remove the gears and shafts to match them with a newly made set that were spare from a rebuild I have found out about.

Chalmersgearbox009_zpsb41a2963.jpg

The bearings on the gearbox shafts are a type of "roller with endfloat control", does anybody recognise them or know of a supply ? I am sorry the bearing photo is poor, I will get a better shot taken.

Chalmersgearbox011_zps5658f885.jpg

Andy

The Blue Brasier, about three postings back is the car that I had put together about 10 years ago.

V8 Hisso from the USA, chain drive gearbox from Switzerland, all the rest, proper Brasier bits from 1908, ie chassis front axle and steering, plus brake levers and all minor bits from Australia and original radiator and instruments from France.

It is a recreation of the 1904/5 Gordon Bennett Race cars, but with a later aero engine. Real hooligan fun, 100mph at 2,300 revs and I have driven it that fast.

At the VSCC Goodwood Sprint in 2010(?) the next fastest car was built in 1932, a very hot Frazer Nash.

I think your Chalmers is a fine car too. Mike

Good afternoon all,

I have collected the new gears and I have ordered a higher ratio crown wheel and pinion ready for next season.

Some of the new gears,

Chalmersgearbox001_zps8d59637b.jpg

The unusual gearbox roller bearings have all been removed safely with no damage and are in excellent condition and will be re-used.

Chalmersgearbox006_zps0003119c.jpg

Andy

Good evening everybody,

I have started putting the Chalmers gearbox and diff back together,

the clutch and input shaft assembly,

Chalmersgearbox002_zps078daf6c.jpg

gearbox back together,

Chalmersgearbox005_zps6da8150d.jpg

new higher ratio crownwheel,

Chalmersgearbox006_zpsa42d3f00.jpg

and pinion assembly,

Chalmersgears007_zps2f38a114.jpg

more to follow as I get everything assembled back in the chassis.

Andy

Edited by racer2_uk
spelling (see edit history)

You do nice work. Thanks for documenting it here, it's inspirational. That bearing is interesting. I have quite a few similar old Timkens , albeit used, and they too seem to be in good shape.

These were made before planned obsolescence reared it's ugly head.

Evening everybody,

I have got the drivetrain completed and back under the car,

Chalmersgearbox015_zps615560a4.jpg

Chalmersgearbox017_zpsb5326537.jpg

Chalmersgearbox009_zpsc3f9f586.jpg

the drive flanges are easier to torque up when everything is bolted in the chassis, these were fitted along with propshaft,

the brakes are working well and are ready for the wheels,

Chalmersgearbox022_zps2fa3e6d4.jpg

Andy

Hello everybody,

The Chalmers is coming together well now, I found another type of Rayfield carb that was fitted to this model in late 1913, it needed some restoration but is now fitted and the car runs well, a little fine tuning and hopefully an improvement in performance.

Chalmerscarb002_zps6affdd71.jpg

Chalmerscarb003_zps8f1a7e6e.jpg

the air start valves were leaking air badly, I have machined them internally and fitted seals on the valve stems, I am also going to check the air start timing as I think something isn't quite right, at certain times the starting air is coming out of the exhaust, this doesn't seem right.

Chalmerscarb005_zps5deeab36.jpg

when the wheels are back from having new wooden spokes fitted I have new bearings and seals to go with them and hopefully I can do some testing mileage.

Andy

Evenin everybody,

After fitting seals to the air start valves I found the system was still not able to turn over the engine well enough for it to start, there was a question of the "air start timing" being out as well as another leak, this was found to be from the dash push valve, so it was removed from the car, stripped down, modified to carry a seal on the rocker end of valve stem "T" and refitted.

I removed the top cover off the air start distributor and set the number 1 cylinder to TDC, the air port to number 1 was ready to open, this seemed to be the right timing as far as I could tell, I refitted the cover.

The main parts of the Chalmers air start system from a photocopy of an owners manual,

Chalmers%20air%20starter%202_zpsyftixl3l.jpg

I charged the air tank from the workshop compressor for a test, I primed the carb, switched on the ignition and pushed the start valve, the engine turned with ease and after a couple of rotations fired up and I took my foot off the start valve, it works !

The Chalmers air starter system diagram from the photocopied manual,

Chalmers%20air%20starter%203_zpsojkdo6nz.jpg

The wheels will be ready in a couple of weeks and then hopefully a bit of warmer weather for some test mileage.

Andy

Evening everybody,

Just back from a great trip through France to collect my re-spoked Chalmers wheels,

france%20march%2015%20017_zpse3fephvo.jpg

france%20march%2015%20016_zps9fc6m67n.jpg

The wonderful work was by Alain Montpied, the "Artisan Charron" a 4th generation wheelwright based near Clermont-Ferrand, as well as automobile wheels Alain has made numerous wooden constructed pieces from water turbines to gun carriages. www.wheelwright.fr

On the return trip we called in to see the automobile restoration work done by Jean-Luc Bonnefoy and later dropped into the LeMans museum.

While the rims are stripped I have found stamped into the steel "Kelsey Wheel Co Inc Detroit Mich type 210 32x4" the wheels are now being prepared for fitting and hopefully the weather will give me a chance to try out the winter's modifications.

Andy

Hi Barry,

yes, that is Alain, his work is really good, he makes all sorts of things in wood, from "boneshaker" bicycles to gun carriages.

Andy

G,dayto all. When I saw the first photo of the Chalmers with the Barnet Glass tyres I reckond that it was the raceabout that my friend Mick Bendich restored about forty some years ago but I can see that it is not. Micks car had mudguards and a monocle bug catcher and I believe that when he sold it it went to Singapore or mabe Japan. Anyhow Mick has a touring car of the same model that he uses regularly with the veteran car club in Australia. He fires it only on the lh spark plugs as he has never been able to find the original type magneto to fire both plugs. He also races a Morgan and rides his 1914 King Dick motorcycle. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

G,day Andy. Just looking at your new wheels ,they would seem to me to be Kelsey type as used on Dodge cars to 1924. They, the rims, can be produced in Christchurch NZ or in Kingaroy Qld Australia to your order. Because of the price and risky quality of beaded edge tyres down here in the 1960s many veteran cars were converted to Kelsey SS and 500 x 24 inch rims were used from Dodge cars which at the time were in abundance. Both of Micks Chalmers cars were done using this size. The earlier Dodge here used 25 inch.

Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Morning Max,

There seems to be various different ignition setups on early Chalmers, it seems that they originally had only one set of spark plugs but people removed the air starter valves and fitted a second set of plugs in their place, these were driven by either a twin output magneto or battery and coil via a distributor driven from the air starter distributor drive as the photo below,

Chalmers%20in%20Stafford%20006_zpsqjvmqyny.jpg

Chalmers%20in%20Stafford%20012_zpseenyndzi.jpg

The wheels are Kelsey, type 210 is stamped on the felloe.

How is the big country ? I have been lucky enough to visit a few times and very lucky enough to have raced at Bathurst on 2 occasions.

Andy

Good evening everybody,

I have picked up the newly painted wheels and have started preparing them for refitting,

003_zps8vo0jnyt.jpg

The rear wheels went on easily,

009_zpsvcvihig9.jpg

012_zpszyiamf4y.jpg

Hopefully the fronts will go on just as easily.

Andy

• Like 1

Today the front wheels went back on,

002_zps8xdgubd3.jpg

The left wheel needed a sleeve machined up to take the bearing as the hub had worn, I had pre-machined the bore before the wheels went away for new spokes, the sleeve and bearing pressed in and looks well. The front wheels went on and it was time for a quick test drive,

011_zpsrcq0nzhw.jpg

015_zpsimzq35hj.jpg

I need to spend some time setting up the replacement carb, on the road it is running a bit weak but nothing a few adjustments won't sort out, the engine idles

well, click on the engine pic below.

th_016_zps4gesrknj.mp4

Hopefully the weather with let me do a few miles to get things running right.

Andy

Evening everyone,

I have done nearly 100 miles in the last couple of days, fairly trouble free, a couple of minor oil leaks and a carb fuel leak, I need to get the clutch to disengage a bit better but that seems to be it, the cars is a lot happier at speed with the slightly higher crown wheel and pinion and I have now started the engine several times with the air system, see the short clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byiTdRxFCjo

Hopefully the weather will stay dry and allow me to do a few more miles.

Andy

Hello again everybody,

The weather has been very good over the last few days and this has given me the opportunity to get a few more miles on the Chalmers, I have now done over 200 miles and everything is coming together, I changed the clutch oil to a slightly thinner grade and the clutch has become drag free with easy to engage gears.

Today I had a great run out to a favourite canalside pub, the Shroppie Fly at Audlem, then this evening a run to a local bikers night at the Raven café near Whitchurch.

001_zpsk0qfzyih.jpg

006_zpskimcbaqy.jpg

004_zpstdnkjocf.jpg

I have a slight fuel leak on the carb that I hope to sort out and then I will get the car ready for Curborough sprint next weekend.

Andy