Oil change for an 11b

Povertycove

I'm fairly new to Franklins, so I'm going to ask a fairly basic question: what oil weight and type is recommended for a series 11b? I've been running a conventional multi viscosity in it, with a high concentration of Marvel, in order to get some suspected gum off the valves. It seems to have worked, so now I want to change the oil for the season. I run synthetic oil in my series 15 convertible, as recommended by several club members. But this 11b boattail is a different creature. What's the consensus?

Guest richentee

I'll step into the brian patch here, even tho I do not own an 11. Probably what works well in your S15 will likely do well in your 11B.

I have been told that if you want to start a long discussion ask a Franklin guy about oils!!!!

I use only synthetic oils in my cars. They stand up to higher heat and lubricate so well that you can not break in new rings with it.

Yeah. I bothered to read all the oil advice in the past Franklin Tech notes, and its all over the place. When I bought my 31, down in Falmouth, I was told to maintain synthetic, which I've done. Getting this 27 boattail sorted out, down here in Florida, has been a challenge. For the time being I decided to use my standard 15-40 weight and Marvel combination until I believe that the valves are thoroughly de-gummed. Then I may switch to synthetic for the 11b. Perhaps at the Trek Ill ask the oil question ... See how many different responses ill get. Ha.

If you're concerned about valves, know that the oil in your crankcase doesn't get anywhere near your valves. That being said, I like conventional non-detergent 30W when I can find it.

If you're talking about oil on your valves and walking beam pads, then stick to Mobil 1.