Sign in to follow this  
Earl B.

Miracles Do Happen

Nice looking car, bet it will be a smooth riding car too! It's always nice to be able to cross a car off the wanted list! Congrats on a good purchase!

After following your original search thread, this is an excellent example of where patience and persistence has paid off......as it usually does.

Congratulations and look forward to updates as you inspect the car with a fine tooth comb.

I went to get the car today. I left about 8:30 am and got home about 9:15pm. Such a long day. Going up with the empty trailor beat me to death with that thing bouncing. Coming home was good most of the way. It started to violently fishtail, and scared me to the point of nearly messed my pants. I had a borrowed truck from one friend and a borrowed trailer from another. I could envision the whole thing turning over.... Man OH Man, what a scare!!!!!! From then on, I kept it at 45-50 out of fear. At one stop, to check things over, a strap had come loose.. but not the cause of the problems, because when I got the truck stopped, I checked the straps and all were tight. Somewhere along the line, it's shifted on the trailer, so it'll be a bit of a problem getting it off. Thankfully I have friends with machinery, hoists and such. It sure pays to have friends with lots of big toys, as well as good Buick friends online..... Thank you all for your kind comments, and you may well know, I'll be having lots of questions coming as I work on the car.... B

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

Glad to hear that you got it home. A fish tailing trailer means that you do not have enough weight on the tongue. Too heavy loaded toward the rear and it will fish tail. Only an old farmboy with honey wagon experiance could tell you this. ;) Dandy Dave!

Dave, the odd thing was, I'd been pulling it for about 3 hours or more and not one problem. I gott of of one road, and onto another, and at a slower speed, suddenly, it started up! The car was as far forward as I could get it, tied down on front and on the sides. Still a tongue weight problem? B

Dave, the odd thing was, I'd been pulling it for about 3 hours or more and not one problem. I gott of of one road, and onto another, and at a slower speed, suddenly, it started up! The car was as far forward as I could get it, tied down on front and on the sides. Still a tongue weight problem? B

Glad you made it back safely though may have needed an underwear change. An empty trailer shouldn't beat you up at all and definitely shouldn't be bouncing. That leads me to believe there could be a problem with the trailer. Post a pic of the towing combination if you can.

Glad you made it back safely though may have needed an underwear change. An empty trailer shouldn't beat you up at all and definitely shouldn't be bouncing. That leads me to believe there could be a problem with the trailer. Post a pic of the towing combination if you can.

I agree, Something is not right... Dandy Dave!

Dollar to a donut, the trailer hitch is higher than the trailer when trailer is level.

Ben

Ben is probably correct. Another contributing factor may be that the second road was more severely domed, since that is when you noticed it.

Here are the pictures of the truck and trailer I used... and my friend with machinery moving the Buick over on the trailer... The angle of the ramps would not let the car come off of the trailer, he also used the fork lift to lift the trailer to change the angle and the car came off just fine!!!

post-48053-14314185597_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141855979_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141855987_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141855997_thumb.jpg

post-48053-14314185601_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141856024_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141856036_thumb.jpg

For those of you who like the old Andy Grifith show, you know he's always going over to Mount Pilot.. well, here's the real Pilot Mountain. It was a foggy morining when I was going to get the car, but you can still see it's one huge thing..

post-48053-143141856052_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143141856067_thumb.jpg

One bit of bad luck, I lost one piece of moulding... anyone know where I might get one?

post-48053-143141856091_thumb.jpg

The car is hanging off of the back quite a bit. The trailer is a little short for the car, and it looks like you could have used just a little more tounge weight. It looks fairly level otherwise and should have towed fine. At least you have it home. Given the problems, I would not use that trailer to move it again. Ben is also correct about the tounge if it were too high, but I do not see it in your photos. There is a 1955 2 door Roadmaster in a junkyard not far from me. Only problem is you would have to buy the whole car plus another 55 Special to get that piece of moulding. The car is ruff, but complete. Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave, thanks for telling me about the car, but, that's just too much for me to get into. Someone will know who sells pieces and parts (I hope).

Ben, he had a 1972? Monte Carlo he was thinking about selling. It had a 350 or 400 big block. I honestly didn't pay attention to what he was saying because I knew I couldn't get the car.

Somebody will have that Roady trim. Small series trim won't work B.

Call Ken at Wheatbelt (580) 855-2449

Mike,, thanks for the info...I'll do it now....

As to the fish tailing, I think old tank hit on some of it, if not all... The car had pulled great until we switched onto 421 south, and that's when it started. When I slowed down, all was ok. I kept it on 455-50 for a long time. Later, I increased speed some, and it did fine.... Too, I'm sure the tires were never trued on that trailer, nor were they balanced, which I'm sure added to the bouncing. It was a bouncy time before the car was loaded.

While talking about this trailer indefinitely may certainly be fun. The car is home now. Lets talk about this beautiful Buick Roadmaster, more pics more stories, more plans, more thoughts, more ideas!

What type of battery is correct for the car? It's got a piece of junk in it now..

A group 60 is the correct battery.

Group 60 is very hard to find except in a vintage type reproduction. The repros are not very reliable, they are actually a much smaller battery stuck in a larger case

A group 27 will fit .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk

I have the group 31 commercial in 2 of my 55's. It fits perfectly in the tray and the top hold-down fits too. The hold-down bolts may not be long enough. This has stud terminals but screw-on terminals to fit your cables are available. With 700-1000CCA it is more than adequate. At 75 lbs it is very heavy and hard to handle.

Willie