1940 Buick Special...3rd owner and 1st project...

Guest Abbie

Guest Abbie

Hey now, you can't have a '39 vs'40 cricket match when I'm stuck in Wisconsin with no means to get to New Zealand...If I had a way to get there, I would be there in a heartbeat though! And I may even learn how to play cricket! Unless you guys wanna meet up in Wisconsin!

Grant, that sounds like a good idea.

Maybe we should instead opt for a game of rugby league, of course without all that armour and helmets that the Yanks like to get around in. :):):)

How about them Rabbitohs on the weekend ?? :)

Danny

Guest kaycee

Hi Abbie and Ollie,

I just phoned a freind of mine in Rhinelander a couple of nights ago and he still has 2 feet of snow in his yard and zero temps. I remember the winters, and one advantage was the constant cold let everything stay consistant as far as cars setting unused for a long while which might be good for Ollie lying idle all that time. Hopefully, you have your car inside already and then the fun and work can begin. A good and BIG car show and tons of available parts would be Iola ( just east of Stevens Point) this summer. It's like a midwest Hershey, so plan on a lot of walking and looking. I found that the hardest parts to find for mine years ago were the stainless running board strips, so hopefully the ones on Ollie or your parts car are decent. The first thing I would do after cleaning the body and interior up would go after getting it running and using care in doing so. Pick up the manuals you need and get all the info you can from this forum and related clubs before you start and ask questions when you're in doubt. Again, Good luck!

kaycee

Guest Grant Magrath
Grant, that sounds like a good idea.

Maybe we should instead opt for a game of rugby league, of course without all that armour and helmets that the Yanks like to get around in. :):):)

How about them Rabbitohs on the weekend ?? :)

Danny

Ha ha! League should be a bit easier to understand for our American hosts. Rugby might be a bit confusing. It is to me, and I still play! As for all that padding and helmets.........! (I'm a Houston Texans fan!)

Mate. the Rabbitohs are doing well this season. I've given up on the Warriors. However, Roosters vs Bulldogs should be a cracker, what with SBW in the mix.

Now, to more pressing issues.... Abbie, if I could suggest small projects at first. Ones you can complete inside of a weekend. That way, you will make progress, gain vital experience, and achieve the satisfaction of completing a job. Even something as small as cleaning up bracket and painting it. Then you gain confidence to move on to bigger stuff. Baby steps!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Abbie

Kaycee

I have been to Iola many times! My aunt and uncle live not two miles from the grounds! I am in all of my glory walking around the booths and talking to all of the "oldies" who are familiar with straight 8's! I plan on going again this year!

I did hear somewhere that there is going to be a big pre-war buick show somewhere in Wisconsin this year...even if it's in Minnesota or Illinois I would go if anyone knows where it's going to be!

....I did hear somewhere that there is going to be a big pre-war buick show somewhere in Wisconsin this year...even if it's in Minnesota or Illinois I would go if anyone knows where it's going to be!

This ? http://forums.aaca.org/f115/2013-bca-national-meet-south-bend-336752.html

.....I am the proud owner of a 1940 Buick Special 4-door. It was my husband's grandfather's car, and he was the 2nd owner.....I live in Northeast Wisconsin, so if anyone is from up here......

Welcome aboard. Black Buick "grandfather models" (aka four-door sedans) are very popular on this forum. :rolleyes:

Do you know if your car was one of the Buick's given away in the IVORY SOAP JINGLE CONTEST?

ivorysoap19400115.jpg

I'm familiar with N.E. Wisconsin since my wife is from that area (Crivitz).....45 minutes North on 141 from Titletown, USA.....been making that pilgrimage for 40+ years, at least once a year.....but I can't recall ever seeing a 1940 Buick in that area. Ufda!

Good luck on your project.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Guest Abbie
Welcome aboard. Black Buick "grandfather models" (aka four-door sedans) are very popular on this forum. :rolleyes:

I'm familiar with N.E. Wisconsin since my wife is from that area (Crivitz).....45 minutes North on 141 from Titletown, USA.....been making that pilgrimage for 40+ years, at least once a year.....but I can't recall ever seeing a 1940 Buick in that area. Ufda!

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

I actually live 30 miles from Crivitz!! My husband goes there every Wednesday for work!

Guest Abbie

The pictures I posted are my parts car right after I pulled the seats out...I think a few animals called it home before I got it...

You just can't believe how relieved I am to read that is your parts car.

Bernie

"Restraint is my least recognized attribute."

I'll second Bernie's comment. :) :)

Mind you, others far worse have been brought back from the brink.

Danny

Guest Abbie

So my parts car has a hood ornament that looks like a buffalo head...I know its aftermarket but any idea what it's from? I'm going to try get pictures of it tonight...

Guest Rob McDonald

ABBIE, I just stumbled on your thread and am pleased to join the chorus of welcomers. Love your avatar.

Now, thing is, there's a international agreement on bison head hood ornaments. When found in the USofA, they must be repatriated to Manitoba. Hey, one of you Winnipeggers, go claim your prize. Yikes, the back seat of your parts car reminds me of that ancient urban legend. You know, the one about the remains of a philanderer and his mistress, found entangled in the back seat of a Duesenberg/Cadillac/Rolls-Royce, in a long bricked-up garage, after the vengeful widow had finally passed away.

Guest Abbie

I think it is a Kaiser-Frazer...like a 1947 or 1948....i have no idea what it's worth or anthing...anyone who has any info please let me know! I only found ONE on the internet and it was sold in 2010...and the site doesn't say how much it was sold for....I guess I still don't know what I have, if it's rare or run of the mill...but I guess if it was run of the mill I'd find more online about em...???

Guest Abbie

I got my shop manual today!! I am so excited! AND, for the first time this year it was 55 degrees outside!! woo hoo!!

Guest kaycee

Hi Abbie,

A warm spell up North at last! Looking at your parts car, I'd put the fog lamps on Ollie. I had a set on my '40, and (each to their own) , I sort of liked the look. Sounds like you have a lot of rainy day reading coming up now having your new manual. Do'nt read it all in one day!

kaycee

Guest Abbie
Hi Abbie,

Looking at your parts car, I'd put the fog lamps on Ollie. I had a set on my '40, and (each to their own) , I sort of liked the look. kaycee

I was thinking about adding the fog lamps to Ollie...one of the lenses is broken, and I've been trying to decide if replacing it or the whole fog light is more economical...since they were after market anyway, I don't have to "stick to the original"...any ideas? I looked at Iola last year for a replacement lens and the ones I found were like $70..but other booths had the whole shebang for $90 or $100....

It's supposed to snow again on Saturday here (welcome to friggin Wisconsin!) so I plan on doing a little reading!

Guest kaycee

Hi Abbie,

You're getting snow and we're getting rain for a few days, but it's good reading weather. Just hold up on the fog lamps. I may even have a pair in one of my garages and let you know. They're not a priority item in your restoration. Have a good week, and leave "hubby" do the plowing!

kaycee

Abbie;

Just found your thread, and welcome to the forum! Not too scare you, but I just got a '41 Buick (McLaughlin, actually) on the road last year, and I bought it very late in 1991!!!! I can do the math, but I can't believe it!

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.

Keith

• 2 months later...