Underhood Insulation on a 63

petelempert

Just ordered an underhood insulation kit for my 63. It does not come with any type of adhesive. The salesman said he "thought it just pushes into the hood and stays tight"...which doesn't seem quite right. I also don't think it is held on with plastic grommets like later GM hood insulation. I admit it...I bought it on the cheap from OPGI. Serves me right. Anyway, anybody have any ideas for how to keep the thing stuck to the underside of the hood. Thanks in advance. PRL

He's right, it just lies in the flanges on the edges of the hood braces. The bigger piece with the cutout in the corner goes in so that the cutout sits above the a/c compressor. (Hopefully it will have a cut out and be thick enough to completely fill the flanges.)

Ed

The smaller pieces will sit up in there. A spray of adhesive will help hold the center of the big center section up. You have to have it in place except for one side down a bit to spray in. Use a few strong magnets to pull the insulation up tight while the adhesive dries.

Mine did not come with the A/C compressor cutout. I had to cut it, using old one as a guide.

Thanks guys. The whole purchase process with OPGI leaves me feeling sort of sheepish. I have mixed feelings about them, the products they sell and the advice (if any) they provide. I figured I could probably get the insulation elsewhere but they sent me a coupon. I was thinking about my hood and off I went. PRL

OK Riviera people: OPGI has a new catalog out and I must say that it is prettier than a high priced men's magazine. And don't ask me how i know that either. Half their items I can get cheaper at a local auto parts store. As far as First-gen Riv stuff.....I ain't goin' back. Mitch

I saw a TV special about a cruise-in OPGI had and most of the cars owed their existence to those re-popped parts. At least every car didn't have an overbearing father who kicked stuff around and verbally abused a stupid son. I did keep watching for the idiot with the metal detector to run in and cry out he had found cars.

I watch stuff like that on TV and it makes me self conscious about the length of my arms. I check to see my knuckles aren't dragging.

Bernie