1930 Buick model 68 Running Boards

michaelod

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the thickness of the lumber used to create the running boards in 1930? Also did they use hardwood or plywood in these? The running boards that came with my car appear to be replacements made of 3/4 inch plywood. This may be correct but I am not sure as the trim on the front seems to be sized for wood a bit thicker. I need to create new ones in any case and wanted them to be as close as possible to what originally came on the car from the factory. I would be willing to guess that any year that is close to 1930 would be constructed in a similar fashion.

Thanks,

on my 32 they are made of 3 pieces of 3/4 ash on the top the front edge has a 1/2strip under it and on the out rigger mounts the hard part is the router on the front have a few old ones can send pics of

on my 32 they are made of 3 pieces of 3/4 ash on the top the front edge has a 1/2strip under it and on the out rigger mounts the hard part is the router on the front have a few old ones can send pics of

pacrat,

Thank you for your offer of the pictures; I would really appreciate seeing what needs to be done in that area. I have a huge pile of purpleheart in my shop that I can use in place of the ash. I don't know if anyone has substituted purrpleheart for ash in their Buick before, but this stuff is twice as dense as oak and extremely resistant to water and insects as well. I am going to paint it black anyway, so anyone looking at the car from the bottom side would never know the difference.

Thanks again.

I decided to start milling the wood for my running boards this morning and am using purpleheart for this task since I have about 500 board feet of this in rough cut form in my shed. For those who have never seen this wood before the natural color is indeed purple. Here is a shot of the planer in action, working on the running boards. The wood fresh off the planer looks more like hot pink, but will darken towards purple over time. I will be painting mine black of course as purple just wont do.

post-63406-143141835443_thumb.jpg

post-63406-14314183545_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)