Interesting 1963 Electra FS

Guest BJM

OK Bryan: There were no shortage of conservative people in 1963 that wanted top of the line with no frills. Remember that 17 years prior that's all there was....big old Bu's with a straight 8 and a stick, the only distinction being the model itself and not the combination of model, color and equipment. Just a theory now. Mitch

I like that car. Nice, simple, basic black; apparently found while quilt hunting and no mystery, hype, or BS. Imagine the History Channel getting hold of it!

When my son was 3, that's 27 years ago, we had a black '67 Electra 4 door with just a radio for options. My friend Bert Galbraith had been the local Buick salesman for years, but he had left that job and opened a liqueur store, probably in search of happier customers. I parked the black Buick in front of his store on Main Street and he greeted me saying "You ended up with that stripped job, huh."

He said it was a base model ordered for stock. A local farmer in Kendal, New York had sold some farmland to a builder and had some cash. He called the dealership and said he wanted a new Buick. Bert drove the stripped job out there that evening all bright and shiny. Sale, it fit the description, New Buick.

I liked that car a lot but the trunk floor rotted out. I put some tin it and sold it.

The sale of that car had life long implications. I had the car in the front yard for something like $800. A person I knew looked it over and asked if I could come down on the price. It had two new tires on the front that I could have used on another car. I said "Sure, I will put a couple of used tires on the front and keep those. I'll knock off $100 and keep those tires." The guy came back in an hour with the full amount. I guess he called around pricing new tires. Since then I have not lowered a price because I "was flexible". I have always taken something away from the sales in exchange for lowering the price.

Great car and worth its weight in Simon School of Business credits.

Bernie