Need help identifying some rather large wood-spoked rims....

Guest Charles Spurgeon

Guest Charles Spurgeon

Hello,

I picked these up today... they have 12 wooden spokes, and the tires mounted on them are 7.00 x 20... I got 2 of them. I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of truck or bus they were off of? And what the value might be in rotten condition.

post-92463-143141829242_thumb.jpg

post-92463-143141829237_thumb.jpg

post-92463-143141829239_thumb.jpg

Guest Charles Spurgeon
I don't know what they fit, but in that condition, they're worth very little

*sigh* Michigan and their salt :mad:

Picking up something like this (unknowns in poor cond) is always a gamble or a labor of love (just trying to salvage without making any money, and actually being lucky not to spend too much time and effort, etc)...

Wood wheels are not my thing, but don't limit yourself to a bus or truck--several large cars of 27-28 or so period either had 700x20 (old 32x6.75 per Burness) or very close 20" tires, and the wood wheels (we called them "artillery wheels) were often an option to wires...

There's also the possibility the 700s were not the original size; when older tires became dificult to find, we stuck on whatever we could find that fit the rim...

Try taking more measurements and posting them, and the brand name and anything else on the tires, which could jog someones memory...

You need to find an old grey-haired tire man who might recognize them...

Guest Charles Spurgeon

I'm just surprised that they were able to use wood like this to support massive vehicles without the spokes collapsing....

Model TT Ford... 23 X 3-1/2 fronts. And 20 inch rim X 6 rear if memory serves me right. Model T went to 21 inch rim in 26 and 27.

The rims you have are totally rusted and not usable. Looking at the hubs, these are front wheels. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest Charles Spurgeon
with only 4 bolts holding the tire to the wheel, they are most likely a light-midsize car.

The one tire says its a Good Year 10 ply tire meant for trucks and buses.... the other one is a Ward's Riverside

I didn't get it, but this yard sale had the front cross member as well... with the spindles.... should I try to get it? He probably still has it....

Guest Charles Spurgeon

Also, someone mentioned the clamps... was it possible that this could be missing more clamps than what are on the wheels? Thus deceiving us by making us think that these are for a car, rather than a truck?

The one tire says its a Good Year 10 ply tire meant for trucks and buses.... the other one is a Ward's Riverside

I didn't get it, but this yard sale had the front cross member as well... with the spindles.... should I try to get it? He probably still has it....

You should see if they have the hubcaps and bearings. The hubcaps usually have a name, or markings that are identifiable. Dandy Dave!