1937 Zephyr For sale - Opinions

Guest BJM

I spotted this early Zephyr on a local Craigs List. I looked at all the photos. Are there any Zephyr experts on here that can weigh in on the desirability, coolness and overall difficulty of the restoration of this car?

Here is the ad and content:

1937 Lincoln Zephyr Fastback all original V-12 suicide doors Ford 37

We have a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 4 door fastback sedan in complete, original condition. VERY rare and neat car for restoration. Beautiful lines. This one is not super rusty, but floors are definitely shot, as is the interior upholstery. The original V-12 engine is stuck from sitting over the years, but it's pickled right now with oil to hopefully loosen cylinders without having to remove and rebuild. This would be a fairly easy restoration. I would recommend coming to look at it in person. If you have any questions, please call afternoons and evenings: (641) 512-5229. Do not text me to ask if the car is still available for sale. If it's still on Craigslist... I've still got it. Thanks. Please be sure to click on the following web album to see all the super sized photos of this car.

I know nothing about Zephyrs so I'm sure you would like my opinion.

1. Cool - yes.

2. Desirability - depends.

3. Restoration difficulty - looking at the photos -> great.

There is no such thing as an easy restoration. The car is very cool, but the V12 is not exactly a powerhouse and 4 door sedans - even cool ones - are not the easiest resale. You could get the car for free and be underwater very quickly.

That is my uneducated opinion. ;)

The 1937 Zephyrs are probably the most desirable of all Zephyrs (not including the 1940 Zephyr "Continentals"). Certainly the 1937 sedans are the best looking of all the other years.

That said... I second what Al said. While this car might be better suited as a good parts car, it might also make a good project for someone who wants to jump in and do ALL the work required, including mechanical rebuilding, upholstery, body work, etc.

Some people don't have the funds to buy a better car, but could possibly spread their investment across many years by doing their own restoration of a car like this. And, that would be a good thing. Not that it would be bad if it were parted out.

I am getting too old to take on serious projects like this Zephyr. I was interested in a conversational approach to my inquiry re: is this something that should be / could be restored? Is the car more or less desirable then another car? Has someone restored one or know of someone that tackled this sort of car?

I love it, being a streamlined fan, but when a car collector keeps reinventing their collection, nothing gets accomplished.

• 2 months later...

post-93470-143141941333_thumb.jpg

The 1937 Zephyrs are probably the most desirable of all Zephyrs (not including the 1940 Zephyr "Continentals"). Certainly the 1937 sedans are the best looking of all the other years.

That said... I second what Al said. While this car might be better suited as a good parts car, it might also make a good project for someone who wants to jump in and do ALL the work required, including mechanical rebuilding, upholstery, body work, etc.

Some people don't have the funds to buy a better car, but could possibly spread their investment across many years by doing their own restoration of a car like this. And, that would be a good thing. Not that it would be bad if it were parted out.

I think the front of the 1937 Zephyr looks too much like the 1937 Ford although the back is very nice. However, I think the 1939 Zephyr is the best looking by far, and probably the most desirable of all the Zephyrs. It has the prettiest grill, front and rear views, neat taillights, and wonderful covered headlamps. Here's mine.

Peter That is nice. i like the light grey color because the ornamentation (chrome/stainless etc) pops on this car. I would need to see a restored 37 for apples to apples but I don't think either way a person could go wrong.