Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

They WILL look smart.

Is it possible the paper was some sort of seal to show the speedo had not been tampered with, i.e. removed by an unscrupulous seller of the car and wound back? We have had many used "modern" cars imported from Japan with "clocked" speedos.

Or maybe it was the production order, giving the model it was for and speedo calibration (miles or kilometers)?

• Like 1

Could be, although I can't make out any print on the paper.  It also appears to be under the gasket, so you could remove the speedo without disturbing the paper.  It was obviously put on there for some reason, but I can't figure it out.

Regarding your ammeter, it looks like it has a fuse on the back and it look like one of the leads to the fuse has a riveted connection. Different shape, etc. than on my '33 Plymouth but a similar concept.

One issue I had with my Plymouth was that the riveted connection had deteriorated over time and developed enough resistance that when the headlights were on the heat would melt the solder in the end cap of the fuse. End result was an oddly open fuse (look at it and it did not look blown but it had no connectivity) and all the electrics in the car (except ignition and fuel gauge) failing. Not a desirable thing on a night drive.

It looks like you've nicely cleaned things up but you might want to double check the resistance between various points on that assembly.

In my case I ended up soldering the rivet to the metal conductor strip to cure the resistance/heat issue. I know it would not look authentic, but it is under/behind the dash and a little solder won't be spotted by any judge there.

• Like 2

Ply33 Your comment about corrosion in electrical connections jolted my memory I had the same problem with the light switch on my 2249 Senior and this was with a NOS switch My cure was the same as what you done I cleaned and soldered the joints Problem solved 

• Like 2

And, if you DO end up installing an electric fuel pump, make sure it's on it's own fused & switched circuit.

Mine wasn't when I bought the car, and when I turned the headlights on during my first night drive, a short in a headlight blew the fuse. The pump stopped and I soon ran out of gas on a busy turnpike at dusk!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Phil, was that your current car or Daphne?  

My current car. If I remember correctly, I installed a simple inline toggle switch on Daphne when I owned her, and the feed wire was attached to the negative post on the original fuse "box." I never had a problem with that set up, but, as I said it CAN lead to problems. So on my latest DL, I bought a NOS clamp-on fused switch (that matched my heater switch) and ran a wire to the negative post on the main fuse "box."

BTW, the reasons I like adding a switch for the electric fuel pump are twofold: it allows you to use it to "prime" the carb in the winter, and starve the carb in case you flood it (although that's hard to do on a DL's updraft carb!). Also, it acts as another layer of theft-proof security if you turn it off when you park the car. A thief won't get far on only a float bowl full of gas!

Edited by Phil 32DL6
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Been following your build since the beginning and enjoying it as much as anyone. 

Wondering what your final decision was with the windshield...are you going to stick with the original design or go with the continuous hinge?

~ Tom

At the moment I'm sticking with the original design.  The problem is with the rubber "hinge points" in the top corners of the windshield opening.  Mine are rock hard.  I'm going to make a pattern and see if I can cast new ones.  We'll see how that experiment works out.

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive and kicking.  My wife had a knee replacement over the holidays and this, combined with the bitterly cold weather, has put a bit of a freeze on progress with Daphne.  I'm picking up my re-silvered headlight reflectors tomorrow and I've been working on some small inside jobs like wiring and instrument cleaning and repair.  Pictures and progress reports soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. We (I) have been wondering about the progress.

Well, another fly in the ointment.  After helping my wife recover from knee replacement surgery, I went and tore the meniscus pad in my knee.  I was operated on last Tuesday and can finally limp around with a cane.  The doctor says two months before I'm back to normal. Hopefully I can get back to some "sitting" jobs - rewiring  the headlights, cleaning and painting small parts - in another week or two.  This is a serious monkey wrench in the restoration and I'm not happy as we've had sunny, warm weather here and all I can do is sit and stare out the window at the garage.  I'm afraid my dreams of attending the Dodge Brothers National meet in Green Bay this summer in Daphne have probably been short circuited.  To put it mildly, I'm bummed!

• Sad 1

Wish I could find something funny or inspiring to say. But I can't,  so just good luck and best wishes.

John

• Like 2

I guess it's the price of advancing age.  I actually had a moment wondering if I'd live to see my car completed as they rolled me into the operating room.  Hoping the coming Spring and sunshine improve my outlook.  I have really enjoyed talking about the restoration, taking pictures and discussing problems and solutions.  At the moment I'm missing all that terribly and feel I should be doing something, but physically just can't do it.  Limped out to the garage today - a first - and the sight of Daphne waiting got the juices going. Hopefully I'll have something interesting to say here soon, rather than complaining about personal problems.  No more bitching, I promise.

Hey, look at all the athletes who have come back and again been superstars after ACL, etc surgery. Lots more fun ahead with just a little more luck!

I've still got to get to the unholstery in my '31 DH and I'll be 79 in June!  Cheers! John

IMG_0140.JPG

• Like 1

I know how you feel. My wife had both her legs operated on to reduce the swelling of the Achillies Tendon. She was limping around and this is her first day back at work for two months.

Still trying to do small things on the car but I'd like to take a month off work and focus on getting it completed.

We'll get there eventually.

Now I got a pinched nerve in my shoulder and I've lost strength in my right hand.....what next !!!!

What is this, an epidemic?

In late January I woke up in the middle of the night with a severe pain in my upper back. Then my index finger went numb. Doc said it was a pinched nerve in my neck. After weeks of running on empty over constant pain, 3 hours of sleep a night, medication, & physical therapy I'm finally nearly back to normal. Naturally, I've been in no position to crawl under my car and work on the clutch again. They say spring is coming...

17 minutes ago, Phil 32DL6 said:

What is this, an epidemic?

In late January I woke up in the middle of the night with a severe pain in my upper back. Then my index finger went numb. Doc said it was a pinched nerve in my neck. After weeks of running on empty over constant pain, 3 hours of sleep a night, medication, & physical therapy I'm finally nearly back to normal. Naturally, I've been in no position to crawl under my car and work on the clutch again. They say spring is coming...

Yes....old age IS an epidemic we will all suffer from....hopefully. The alternative is bad.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If you don't want your body to fall apart when you get older, you need to eat a really healthy diet, stay slim and do a lot of aerobic exercise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 22touring said:

If you don't want your body to fall apart when you get older, you need to eat a really healthy diet, stay slim and do a lot of aerobic exercise.

And if you are lucky your genes that make you feel full are turned on so you don't just keep eating.

• Like 1

I use to walk 7km a day and eat healthy.....then I had a stroke and I was 52. I think i'm on the down hill run !!  ha

• Like 1