Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

There is a snap ring to the right of the slotted thingy, which is actually the ends of the spline in the main shaft. Remove that snap ring and the gear (2nd) slides off to the left.

Do your self a favour and buy a master parts book. It was a very good investment for me and mine probably cost 50% more than yours will cost with freight added in.

The main shaft pinion is either left hand helix or right hand helix. I think yours might be the left hand helix but don't know which way they are measured. If so it fits;

DC, DH, DI, DG, DL after 3566469 Dom. LHD except for cars listed on D-21-2, DK after 4525014, all except 5 Coupe and after 4525062 5 Coupe, also cars listed on page D-21-2, DM. Part no. is 391307.

So, what is the car number, to be sure?

Uh, I'm a complete idiot.  After all day in the garage I'm sitting on the couch watching the boob tube and can't concentrate on anything.  I keep thinking about that transmission shaft, so I go out into the garage, look at the thing, push it back a bit, tilt it toward the front and lift it out of the case.  Duh!

My serial number is 3559282, a very early car built in December of 1931.  I plan to get a parts book, but keep putting it off - like I said, I'm an idiot.  Are the repos on eBay any good?

This is from Plymouth Master Parts List issued April1, 1934.  I hope it helps.  Taylormade, you will get this figured out.  Great work you're doing

post-133464-0-25015100-1440647711_thumb..

What is the part number for the main cluster gear you need? I know that on the Plymouth side there was a huge redesign between '32 and '33 but your '32 Dodge transmission looks remarkably similar to my '33 Plymouth so there is a slight chance the part numbers match up. And if so, there is a chance there is a used one in my spare transmission parts stash.

Unfortunately my '33 Plymouth parts book is packed away, so I'd also need someone to look up the equivalent number on the Plymouth side.

Thanks, it's the mainshaft not the cluster gear, at least according to my owner's manual.  I'm trying to get the Dodge part number to see if anything matches.

Sorry, Spinneyhill, I didn't see you listed a part number for me. It looks like my serial number does not fit in the range mentioned as it says DL after 3566469. Mine has an earlier number. Strange it would fit earlier cars and then cars slightly later than mine.

The correct part number is 377136 for the mainshaft only.  It fits DC, DH, DG, DK and DL models up to 3566469.

Number mismatch with what I have in by parts horde, sorry that I can't help on this one.

Man, I really screwed up here - the part I'm looking for is actually called the Transmission Drive Pinion.  I will get the correct  part number as soon as possible.

The correct part number is 377583.  It is listed as having a right helix.

Shortly after my car was built, 7187 units later, they changed the part to a left hand helix with a new part number.  I have no idea why, but I think the fact that my car is an early one, that any later 33 or 34 pinions would not work.

More Plymouth info.  Taylormade, looks like you may have a wider parts base.  Good luck.  frank

post-133464-0-12276700-1440699789_thumb.

post-133464-0-96901700-1440699808_thumb.

Yep. Helix direction is given on D-21-2 in the parts book. That is a RH helix. So part number is 377583, main drive pinion.

It fits DC after E192LD and 4504522,

DH after 3549240 US built and 9451837 Canadian built;

DI after 9902119 Canadian built,

DJ,

DG after 4516444 US built and 9550578 Canadian built,

DL up to 3566469 LHD domestic, 3567245 LHD export, some RHD export,

DK up to 4525014, all except 5 Coupe and up to 4525062 5 Coupe.

Plus the plymouths as above.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

My Master Parts list is a Faxon repro from ebay. It is pretty good, but of course the photos are not as good as the original, but still good.

That's going to remain a mystery for now. I squirmed under my DL and found I have exactly the same thing as you do: an empty bracket with no obvious function. Anybody else have a clue?

Before I took a look I was guessing it might have been something to do with the mounting of the original exhaust system since I know for a fact your exhaust system is not original. I had a new system installed around 1968 at Midas or Sears. A round muffler (like on my present DL) is the original style.

If no one has responded this late in the game, I will with a brochure illustration that shows this is part of the exhaust bracket:

post-111016-0-80347900-1440786333_thumb.

Well, want to know why I never go to Vegas?  Turns out a fellow Dodge Brothers Club member had an extra pinion shaft.  Since they changed the direction of the helix on the gear about mid-way through the production year, I knew I had a fifty-fifty chance of it being the right one.  I shot craps.  It was from a very late car and had gear tooth direction the opposite of mine.  Why the heck they changed it is beyond me!

So, back to square one.  Anybody out there want to opine on using my existing pinion with the chipped gear?  It's hard to understand why this particular gear chipped since it is a non-sliding, constant mesh gear.  Its sole function is to turn the countershaft below.  Could I just smooth it out a bit and go with it?  I don't really want to take the easy (and perhaps foolish) way out, but I also want to drive this car before I take the big dirt nap and at my age that may be any at time.

What do you think?

IMG_6514_zpsb3si1uzy.jpg

For the Plymouth guys...

I'm looking for a transmission main drive pinion shaft, part number 377583.

It fits - 

PA after 1647280

PB  to engine number PB-4404

PB from engine number PB-55998 to engine number PB-81452 US built and after 9308483 Canadian built.

The reason for the varying serial numbers is that some cars had a right helix gear and other a left helix,  I need a right helix.

The part looks like this.  The roller bearing is still attached to the shaft in the photo.

IMG_6545_zpseuzcvlck.jpg

IMG_6549_zpsjrwaty5u.jpg

IMG_6553_zpsdl8vksig.jpg

Interested in a complete transmission if all else fails.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

How well I know the feeling. Yesterday I was under my '23 Hudson doing some maintenance and looked at the ragged teeth on the flywheel. I started the car today for the first time in six years, The starter spun that super six just like the flywheel teeth were brand spankin' new For me, its a fight for another day. Zeke

For the Dodge guys...

From the Spinneyhill post, #761 above.  Would be interested in a complete transmission.

It fits DC after E192LD and 4504522,

DH after 3549240 US built and 9451837 Canadian built;

DI after 9902119 Canadian built,

DJ,

DG after 4516444 US built and 9550578 Canadian built,

DL up to 3566469 LHD domestic, 3567245 LHD export, some RHD export,

DK up to 4525014, all except 5 Coupe and up to 4525062 5 Coupe.

You mention above that it may also be found in a DG trans. Don't hold your breath but there is a chance that I might have one, the shaft specifically you have pictured. Let me have a look and I'll get back to you and let you know in a day or two (Sunday evening) at most. Scott...

Edited by Scotts_DG8 (see edit history)

Thanks, Scott.  The most important thing is the angle of the gear teeth.  If it matches my photo we would be good to go.

There is a Hollander for 1920s to 1948 or so ($47 at Hollander.com). It may show you can use a gear out of another make entirely. It is a BW box I suppose?

I altered my planned activities and took a bit of time today and did find the shaft I thought I had. I was also worried that maybe you did hold your breath, so maybe you can exhale now. I think that this is what you are looking for, yes?. Let me know, I'll check back later tonight to see what you think as I have a few other things to still get done today. Scott...

post-102138-0-90658900-1440881285_thumb.

post-102138-0-71675200-1440881296_thumb.

post-102138-0-26291300-1440881305_thumb.

post-102138-0-92559500-1440881316_thumb.

post-102138-0-66644900-1440881325_thumb.

That sure looks like the one!  The helix is right and if it is out of a DG, it should fit.  I sent you a PM.

Aren't you a lucky hamster! Remember to measure diameters, lengths and count teeth and splines to be sure - including the internal fitting for the main shaft to run in.

I was pretty certain Scott had one for you, but did not want to get your hopes up in case he didn't.