Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

I did the very same thing in my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan when I was 17.

Yeah but you just turned 21.;)

Yeah but you just turned 21.;)

I feel like I did.

50-50 chance.

If I had to give one bit of advice to anyone restoring a car - don't move in the middle of the restoration! My wife is retiring this month and we are moving to a smaller home a block away from our daughter, her husband and our three granddaughters. The good news is that we are close to the kids and my wife will finally get a rest after working all these years. I'm already semi-retired and will have more time to work on the car. The bad news is I've had to carefully pack up all the hundreds of parts and will transport the car - the parts I've put together - tomorrow. I've lost my 48X24 shed and am moving the works into a 24X15 garage. OUCH! We are adding another 24 feet to the existing garage, so not all is lost, but I will miss all the wonderful space.

I finally have the body back on Daphne after almost a year. The frame is done with all new bearings, new axles, fresh paint and powdercoat, powdercoated wheels and new Firestone tires. it's really exciting to see her looking a bit like a car for a change.

IMG_3976_zpscb9ec620.jpg

IMG_3975_zpsbdc9f2e0.jpg

IMG_3971_zps58dcfb78.jpg

IMG_3968_zpsd7973d43.jpg

IMG_3969_zpsbe6f00e7.jpg

Things will be on hold until I get everything unpacked and I shoot the video for the Doge Brothers Centennial Meet. I hope to see lots of you there!

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Moving to a smaller space with the cars in pieces? Ouch. Been there, done that.

Car is looking great!

What size are those Firestone tires? Look about the same size as I'd need on my car and I like the tread pattern. . .

Tough to move during resto, but Daphne is growing up to be one gorgeous gal!

Looking good! I did a complete restoration on my '41 Buick in a garage not much bigger than that, though I had a storage area for all the pieces as well. Challenging at times, but possible.

On a more personal note, I'm semi-retired, but my wife has a few more years to work, and we hope to move from the city house to a place in the country where I can build a large garage and shop.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty
punctuation (see edit history)

Daphne is looking fabulous... I know its still a little bit into the future, but she is sure going to have one beautiful coming out party!

I got my first chance to look at your thread on a full size computer today and the pictures look great. Did you ever take the transmission apart? Did you ever find an original temp gauge?

Ply33 - Those are stock 5:50X18 from Coker. I bought them at Hershey last fall.

32bizcoupe. The transmission is still waiting. I did find a temp guage.

I see it's been a long time since I last posted. A move, construction of a garage, a death in the family and the trip to Detroit to shoot the official Dodge Brothers Club video has made it impossible to work on Daphne. As soon as the garage is finished I should be able to get back on the restoration. Seeing all those running, driving cars at the Centennial Meet was certainly motivating!

Work on the garage is going quickly and the job should be finished by the end of the week. Since my wife is now officially retired and I do most of my video work out of the home office, we decided to downsize and move to a smaller house just a block away from my daughter's family. Our three granddaughters can hardly wait for the first ride in Grandpa's "old car."

I'll miss my 48 by 24 workshop, but the extension on the garage will give me two 24 by 15 spaces to work in - end to end rather than side by side, but the car is far enough along that I really don't need as much space as before. Here are some shots of the progress on the garage.

The foundation poured and ready for construction.

IMG_5294_zps25cc5589.jpg

IMG_5296_zps205f775d.jpg

The walls going up.

IMG_5298_zpsdda60322.jpg

IMG_5303_zps0b375f54.jpg

IMG_5305_zps599da084.jpg

Sheeted and ready for shingles and siding.

IMG_5307_zpsdf0e7b1e.jpg

IMG_5310_zpsff3b5f9d.jpg

IMG_5313_zpsfc3008f7.jpg

Everything is supposed to be finished this Friday. Then I can put in 30 amp circuits and a 220 line for my compressor. I kept the large 80 gallon compressor and copper lines from the last shop and they will also be going in. At the moment Daphne is jammed into the rear garage with all of her boxes of parts and assorted pieces.

IMG_5320_zps7206a01d.jpg

IMG_5314_zps31bae430.jpg

IMG_5316_zps834a0959.jpg

IMG_5317_zps8b3e9156.jpg

I can't wait to set her free.

Looking good and thanks for the update. Really enjoyed having to meet you and having the conversations with you

My garage orientation is end to end also. The arrangement works ok until you want to get the back car out. I refer to the process as the "shuffle".

I've been away from the car editing the Dodge Brothers Centennial video. Now that it's finally done, I can get back to Daphne. With the garage finished, I now have a place to put things.

IMG_5348_zpsdfbe6eff.jpg

IMG_5349_zpseb5075b0.jpg

I've spent the last few days unpacking things and trying to get them organized. The 100 plus temperatures are not helping! At the old house everything was laid out and at my fingertips. Now I'm prowling through boxes trying to find my tools, parts and sanity. I found a good upholstery shop nearby and the seats should be ready in November. The two major tasks remaining are the brakes and getting the motor painted and installed. Hopefully I'll have those completed before the cold weather arrives.

The garage is a mess as I try to lay everything out and then get it organized on shelves. This is going to take a good week or more.

IMG_5356_zpsf9815a30.jpg

IMG_5353_zps90cedbb8.jpg

IMG_5351_zps639125a7.jpg

When I have something that is actually interesting to report, I'll post again.

Haa....THAT'S not a mess. I can still see portions of the concrete floor.....my shop, however....

I was out in Montana last week and found some interesting items on my travels. They don't call it Big Sky Country for nothing.

OutsideBigSkyMontana_zps60ee8ecc.jpg

There are still old cars sitting out all over the roads I traveled. This was shot in Virginia City.

IMG_5483_zps376158c6.jpg

Not a Dodge, but still interesting.

IMG_5434_zps2a228d0e.jpg

IMG_5433_zpsb1f801c5.jpg

An Imperial convertible - not Dodge, but Mopar at any rate.

IMG_5445_zps4c5fefec.jpg

I had a chance to see the collection of Tom Gerrard while I was out there. Some nice Mopar iron.

IMG_5406_zps5f70e287.jpg

IMG_5401_zps7b81a19b.jpg

IMG_5385_zps15f11ec6.jpg

IMG_5367_zps91f6a9c6.jpg

Unfortunately, all this traveling has had a negative effect on Daphne's restoration. My new 200 Amp service should be in and ready to go by Thursday, so I'll have lights and a compressor in the garage extension. Then I'll have no excuses and I'll have to get back to work on her.

Sorry keiser31, you were talking about the car in the junkyard I guess, not Tom's collection. That car was pretty solid considering how long it has been sitting there. From what I could see, the floors were very solid.

Dick, Just wanted to say what a wonderful job you did on the 2014 Dodge Brothers centennial video that I received.

I already had 3 viewings with family and friends. There was always something I missed in the last viewing.

Thanks again and I'm sorry I hijacked the thread.

Joe C.

Please forgive my ignorance but could you tell me what is the 1920's derelict touring car with the shapely radiator shell?

It looks like a half decent restoration project to me.

Ray.