The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've spent the last week trying to get the doors on Daphne to close properly.  Nothing seems to work.  Somewhere in the process I've done something wrong and I can't figure it out.  Using the door catches that keiser31 graciously sent me, I took a good 1/8 inch off the back and I still couldn't get it to catch.  I even took off the rubber door bumpers to see if that was the problem, but the door still wouldn't latch.  I'm really at my wits end.  I'm finally done with the movie and the weather here is cool and dry, so I was looking forward to making some progress on the restoration, but I'm sitting in the garage staring at my Dodge Brothers and getting nowhere.  Back to the drawing board.  If it was one door, I could understand it, but it's all four doors.  The body was never disassembled, so I can't figure out what's going on.

Well, I ground down the keiser31 catch a bit more and it seemed to work.  I also managed to burn my fingers touching the catch during the grinding - it got very hot.  So I crawled inside the car where I could get a better look at the latch engaging - and slammed the door on my hand.  Being away from working on the car seems to have dulled my mind when it comes to common sense and safety.  The good news, once I recover, is that the door stays closed, the latch engages correctly and all seems well.  I still don't understand how I would need to take that much off the catch when the doors closed fine originally.  Three more to go.

One question, does a fiber pad go between the catch and the door frame.  One of the catches that keiser sent had the remnants of a pad.  I don't recall any being on my car when I disassembled it.

30 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Well, I ground down the keiser31 catch a bit more and it seemed to work.  I also managed to burn my fingers touching the catch during the grinding - it got very hot.  So I crawled inside the car where I could get a better look at the latch engaging - and slammed the door on my hand.  Being away from working on the car seems to have dulled my mind when it comes to common sense and safety.  The good news, once I recover, is that the door stays closed, the latch engages correctly and all seems well.  I still don't understand how I would need to take that much off the catch when the doors closed fine originally.  Three more to go.

One question, does a fiber pad go between the catch and the door frame.  One of the catches that keiser sent had the remnants of a pad.  I don't recall any being on my car when I disassembled it.

I am thinking the material is for anti-squeak on the catch, but none of the catches on my 1931 coupes have any material beneath them. They have never been removed.

IMG_6515.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

None of the catches on my 1933 Plymouth have any material between them and the door frame. But I can’t say that they have always been that way.

I have a vague recollection that on my car the catches screw into a plate in the door frame that has some slop or movement possible. I think to allow the catch to be adjusted as needed. Is that true on yours? Maybe during painting or other work they got stuck and are no longer adjustable. Or maybe my car is different in that respect to yours. Or maybe my memory is failing.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:57 PM, ply33 said:

None of the catches on my 1933 Plymouth have any material between them and the door frame. But I can’t say that they have always been that way.

I have a vague recollection that on my car the catches screw into a plate in the door frame that has some slop or movement possible. I think to allow the catch to be adjusted as needed. Is that true on yours? Maybe during painting or other work they got stuck and are no longer adjustable. Or maybe my car is different in that respect to yours. Or maybe my memory is failing.

No, you're correct - they are adjustable and slide back and forth maybe 1/8 of an inch.  I took them off before paint.  The catches that keiser sent are steel, while mine are brass or bronze.  The steel ones are slightly smaller that my originals.  I took a good 1/8 inch off the steel catch and it then worked perfectly.  Maybe the thicker door mechanisms you sent me caused some difference in the way everything went back together.  At any rate, it looks like the problem is solved.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Richard, you are back, great!  How about a picture of your car as an update?

Things are slow on this end.  Getting under a car today is difficult if you are an old guy!

I once knew how to post pictures but forgot!  Should learn the skill within a couple days and share my project.  Until Later

• Like 1