The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

Thanks for the lead, Spinneyhill, but those have too small a diameter. I need a 1/8 diameter shaft for them to work. One a brighter note, I scored a NOS muffler in pristine condition and an original style oil filter with the correct mounting tabs (on the head bolts). Pictures when they arrive in the mail. I still need to run one brake line and the fuel line, then I'm going to install the front fenders and side-mount braces. I hope to start the engine for the first time in about three weeks.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Restoration Supply Co. have Screw Nails in 1/2" length, 0.080 body dia, 0.187" head dia, flat head, zinc finish. Is that what those are John K?

They also have them in 1" long with black finish.

They are on p. 35 of my catalogue. FAS022 or 041.

They also have drive screws on p41. More sizes but round or oval head (not sure which).

I don't know what they are actually called or where they came from. I got them with the last 1931 DB I bought. The previous owner got them. I will search my car trunk for them when the rain stops.

Maybe this site will head you towards what you're looking for. Type 21 in the lower right corner seems to be on the right track.

BTW they're also called "hammer drive screws."

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/popular-electronics/screws-november-1960-popular-electronics.htm

Here's a company in Aurora, IL

http://www.valleyfastener.com/u-drive.html

post-104010-0-15189200-1457537544_thumb.

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you won't believe what I just did. I was searching for those screw rivets (or whatever we are calling them) in the trunk of my '31 coupe. It is parked in my driveway which consists of two long strips of concrete with grass between and on either side of the concrete. I found a little can with about 7 or 8 of the little buggers and set them on the gas tank apron. As I was putting the tarp back on the car, I heard the little can fall onto the grass....the little rivets are now part of the grass strip. Since they are so small and brass, I don't know how I can ever find them. I think they may have been the last few that I needed to finish the hood lacing on the coupe....CRAP! They looked a lot like the item in the lower right corner of the group that Phil 32DL6 shows above.

post-81542-0-33960200-1458242813_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Just some small jobs finishing up the frame.  I finally got the last brake line bent and installed.  Although it's straight for a good portion of the run, it's long and has a couple of twists in and out of the frame and over the transmission brace.  It has to clear the brace as this section of the frame is removable.  I find it interesting that they decided to run the brake line on the outside of the frame.  It seems as if this would put it at more risk from damage, but the frame is boxed from the factory for about half it's length, then you have the toolbox to contend with, so I guess they took the easy way out.

IMG_7034_zpswkh0y4l9.jpg

The length made it difficult to get that loop correct over the brace. 

IMG_7035_zpslio6vtfa.jpg

Once I had everything tightened up, I loaded up the MC with fluid and pumped the pedal.  I got a bit of leakage up front from the bleeder screws and realized I hadn't tightened them down all the way.  Once that was addressed, no more leaks - even from the copper washers where I thought I might have a problem.

IMG_7036_zpsuxb6njiq.jpg

I also found a set of plugs on EBay and got the spark plug wire harness installed on the head.  I'm just waiting for my distributor to get back from the rebuilder.

IMG_7037_zpsquyuctyn.jpg

Not very exciting, but progress none the less.

I see that the new site format has destroyed almost all of the pictures in this thread.  It would be a daunting task to try and go back and replace all of them as I use an outside photo source so readers don't have to click on photos to enlarge them.  If they come back over the next few weeks I'll continue on, but if not, I don't think it's worth it to continue this build thread.  No sour grapes, but it's enough work to keep it going on a one time basis and I really enjoy doing it, but it's useless if readers can't go back and look at specific things I did during the restoration.  The whole idea was to document the restoration and help fellow restorers not to make the same mistakes I did.  Now all the visual documentation has gone up in smoke.

Your beautiful photodocumentation has been super helpful for restoration of my 1931 Dodge DH! I'm hoping to get some further pointers when you get to replacing the roof. I still have the upholstery to do also. LeBarronBonny(sp?) says they can supply a kit for 3K. Not sure how challenging this might be. Geo McMurtry's hub puller worked great and I now have the brakes rebuilt!

I saw that Peter said that even the external links would be addressed in time. With that said I too would hate to see this thread go away as there is a lot of info that I caould draw on/utilize. Lets hope that in time all goes well with the tasks that they still have to complete with this forum upgrade and all the great info in this thread is back the way it was. Scott...

I enjoyed your thread Taylprmade. I would watch and and see if things get fixed but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to post anymore if they didn't. This was a lot of work on your part. Your thread is one of a few threads that I follow.

Tayormade.

It's been obvious from the start that you have put in about as much work and taken as much pride in this build thread as you have your actual car!  Can't blame you a bit for being disappointed and disheartened that the site seems to have lost so many of your photos.  Hopefully someone at the controls will be able to restore what is missing.  

As one of the people that have been watching from the beginning, I probably speak for many when I ask that you consider keeping this thread going to the conclusion, even if the old photos cannot be returned. So many of us share in your travails and anxiously await each new progress post.  We all want nothing more than to be able to cheer your efforts to the day the final bolt is tightened and last coat of wax applied!

Edited by Buick 59 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Taylormade;  I was just comparing your long running thread to mine on my Nash. 

I have no idea if our long running threads can be fixed.  I looked at page one and page 33 and 34 of yours, and I saw that some pics survived, and don't know why they did, because they are all outside sourced URLs.   I also noticed that the early posts with a quote, do give some trace that it was a quote, and who was quoted.

But on my long running thread, none of the pics survived, and there is no URL for my thumbnails, to let me go find the correct pic to reinstall it myself.  Your early posts do show which pic should be there.  Also, in my thread, there is no indication of a difference between a quote, and something that I wrote, so it's all confusing to even me.

Seems like the new format can't deal with more than just one of the several "past" format changes that happened during the lifetime of long-running threads.  That's why I am starting to doubt these threads can be fixed by tweaking the new software by the staff here. 

I do agree with you, that if it cannot be fixed, there is a good reason to not keep the thread going, if most of it is gone.   It's just not going to be what it once was..."fun to read the past years".  Kind of like looking at the family photo album of your kids growing up, but someone destroyed the photos of their earliest years.  I do find it typical, that a few people love the new format.... because they never had posted anything useful, so they lost "nothing".  Self centered, human nature. 

• Like 1

I discovered a way to restore photos that the new forum format has cleverly removed.  All my photos are URLs from Photobucket, done that way so you don't have to click on them to enlarge them when you're reading the thread.  In this thread, all my photos from page one to page 26 were gone, replaced by the type spelling out the URL.  What I did was go into each post that had missing photos and hit hit EDIT. button  When the ready to edit post came up, I highlighted the first URL, copied it, then deleted it, then pasted it back in.  In other words, I highlighted it, hit Ctrl C, then hit Delete, then hit Ctrl V.  I then saved the post and all photos in the post magically reappeared.  You only have to do this to one URL no matter how many photos are in the post.  All will reappear after you save the edit - don't ask me why, I'm no computer genius.  I only found this out when I tested one photo and found all had come back.  You also don't have to search Photobucket or your URL source for each photo, you just paste the copied URL back in.

I hope this makes sense, but it worked for me.  Give it a try.  You still have to address each separate post, and you can't fix posts other folks have made to your thread, but it cleaned up most of the problem for me.  It took about 90 minutes to do 25 pages.

• Like 1

I am extremely pleased, both for you and for the rest of us. Your thread continues to be a fantastic record of both your car and your restoration and I can only imagine your feelings when it mostly went away. It is an inspiration for the rest of us, and a valuable resource as well. There are numerous times when I have come across a similar problem that I have thought "I remember this" and found help from your thread. I am sure I speak for many others.

Congratulations, well done, and keep it up.

John

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.  I hope my rant didn't come off as pouting and once I restored the pictures my blood pressure dropped to normal levels.  I'm probably too full of myself to stop this tread anyway.

On another note, I realized the other day that the restoration is taking a new turn.  For the last three years it's been all about  disassembly, removing rust, replacing old bearings, seals, broken bolts, engine parts and other assorted chores.  Now I'm putting things back together and it's a whole new ball games.  First, you now have to be careful of all those nicely painted parts - you don't want to scratch the paint or mess something up.  Even bigger changes are now happening.  I just got the brake system working.  It was one thing to make new brake lines and install new shoes and re-sleeved cylinders, but suddenly I had to make things work.  They just couldn't look good, they had to perform.  I'm using Dot 5 silicon brake fluid, so not tightening down the bleeder screws sufficiently and watching brake fluid spurt out on my backing plates and axle didn't instantly remove my nice paint - as it did on my 48 Plymouth restorion a few years ago when I used Dot 3.  So you do learn from past disasters.  But having that brake pedal riding up high and tight with no leaks anywhere in the system was a great relief and a real feeling of accomplishment.  As I was flaring my new brake lines, I wondered if I'd done it correctly and hoped for the best - and it did work.  Now I realize I will have similar experiences when I start the motor and actually drive the car for the first time.  Will the motor start, did my transmission rebuild actually fix things, will the clutch perform correctly?  It should be an interesting Spring.

• Like 1

Richard, I remember fondly the first time that I started the engine in my 2249 Senior and drove it up the driveway sitting on a crate The sound of the exhaust note was like music to my ears  Yours should and will be extra special in that you will be driving your first car again. All I can say is Wow for you 

I have been thinking that your situation has changed too. It must be nice to have clean hands while you are working on it. And the shop is clean under it. Yes, more care is required, but you are not all covered in crud and you are handling things that look really good. I find it much more pleasurable putting restored bits back on. Your DL is very similar in many respects to my DC with lots of small design improvements (hopefully most of them were improvements!).

Before I post this I want to apologize for the crummy new page look I'm forced to use with this new forum format.  I absolutely HATE it.  I can't just post a high quality photo from a URL the way I used to and there is no way to preview the URL.  So now you have to go through the frustrating process of clicking on each URL to see the picture.  I tried to bring in photos from my computer and all I get is a message that they are too big.  To have to go in and reduce the size (and quality) of each photo I want to post is a time consuming process.  I, frankly, would rather spend time in the garage working on the car.  Sorry guys.

Spent a very productive day out in the garage.  The first job was to install the hood lace around the radiator shell.  I used split rivets as in the original installation.  The job turned out to be very easy.  I punched holes in the hood lace with an ice pick and then enlarged them with an awl.  I made the fist hole and installed the first split rivet by inserting it into the hole and through the hole in the shell, then I bent the two tabs open with a large screwdriver blade and did the final bending with a pair of offset pliers.  Then I just worked my way up, making each hole a little short of the mark so the lace would stretch a bit.

earlier, we were discussing which to do first, the lace or the bolts that hold the radiator, and I discovered that installing the lace after the radiator was in would be almost impossible.  The lace would stretch enough that I could insert the screws that hold the radiator in place. but it was a difficult and finicky job.  Once the radiator was in, the lace, since it is new and still very flexible, went back into place quite nicely.

Here you can see the lace and the rivets and the narrow space between the shell and the radiator.

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7050_zpskjidf4v7.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7049_zpsi9kjvwas.jpg[/IMG]

I made a rubber pad that fits under the radiator shell and is sandwiched between it and the frame.  The car had remnants of the piece when I first took it apart.

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7048_zpsatdbwjzs.jpg[/IMG]

Next I cleaned and painted the fan and installed it.

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7058_zpswhmqf8q2.jpg[/IMG]

Then I mounted the radiator to the frame - first time in three years!

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7059_zpsoyccx4fw.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Dodge%20Restoration%202/IMG_7063_zpsqfkr80w7.jpg[/IMG]

No, Phil, it was definitely gray - spent the afternoon cleaning off the old paint and I can categorically state it was gray.  There was not a trace of black paint on it. went through the gray topcoat and the gray primer. I assume the fan was attached along with the water pump and everything was painted at the same time.  The only black on my engine is the spark plug wire holder, the starter and the generator.  Of course we have found several differences in our cars, so maybe they changed to black at a later date.

Ahhh....I remember trying to stretch the hood lacing on mine. Just as an aside....all of the radiators I have removed from 1928-32 have had just a small, 1/4" thick or so, square pad around each mounting bolt where it mounts to the frame cross-member. Sort of like webbed rubber. I have never seen it go all of the way across like you show it. I know....picky, picky, picky. Maybe yours was different.

Just testing a way to bring in photos.

radiator.jpg

It works okay.

Rad 1.jpg

But to insert type between photos you have to post and then go back and edit the post to get the type in the right place.  I must say that the photos do come in nicely once I resized them.  You'll notice I kept the radiator badge unrestored - just polished it up a bit - as a reminder of what Daphne looked like when I first owned her in 1965.

Phil and I have noticed differences in our DLs as he has been helping me in the restoration of my (formerly his, formerly mine) car.  It's always nice to have a mostly original car to compare with. We noticed that my transmission crossbeam mounts were bolted on (with DB original bolts) while his were riveted on.  His windshield frame is different than mine as far as construction goes - his has two screw head bolts in the upper corners while mine has a single captive bolt.  My fan was gray from the factory unless someone stripped it and repainted it gray.  This would have had to have happened before 1965 when I bought the car, and based on the overall condition of my car I doubt that happened.  I have no reason to doubt that your fan was black, or that Phil's was.  These 32s are rare birds and a lot of changes were made along the way.  Mine is a very early car built in the first week of production, and I have found some parts I think were probably leftovers from 1931.  I even discovered that they changed the gear angle direction of the transmission mainshaft halfway through production and I had a devil of a time finding a replacement!  I don't envy anyone trying to determine authenticity on this model.  Since I want to drive her before I take the big dirt nap, I go with what I THINK is correct and get on with the restoration, but any observations and suggestions are always very welcome.

Here's another difference.  My fan has four mounting holes, but as long as I've had the car it's been held on by two bolts instead of four, and I always thought this was because two of the holes are in a layered section with space between them and they might crush if a bolt was tightened in this area.  I emailed Phil to see what his car had.  Well, he had four bolts, but he also has a completely different fan!  His has a one piece center with the blades riveted on.  Mine has the blades welded on to the center in layers.  So the mystery continues.  Replacement or original?  It's held on by DB bolts.

My fan.

fan 3.jpg

Phil's fan.

index.jpg