19" wheel with strange hubcap

Dave Mellor NJ

I have this 19" wheel with a strange hubcap. It seems like it was made to order that way on its first day for use on a trailer or something. It's screwed on and the cap was made to fit. I don't think somebody would put it on an old wheel what would be the point? Has anybody seen anything like it? I think it reads,"SS Co."post-66242-143141824588_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143141824574_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143141824579_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143141824584_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like some type of hub dust cover or hole cover for some industrial equipment. I googled "SS CS" and found a site that manufactures industrial spray equipment but I don't know how far back they go. That piece is likely from the '50's or '60's, maybe later.

I vaguely recall seeing something previously about a different non-ford hubcap on a Model A Wheel. If I remember correctly, it was for a small tow behind camper that used Model A Wheels. I can't find any information on it now. I don't think that this hubcap is the same, but I suspect it has a similar origin. I would guess it was originally used on some type of small trailer for which the manufacturer used Model A Wheels and simply applied their own hubcap.

jpage: I assume you Googled SS Co not SS Cs. I was thinking like Matt, that it was probably a trailer company or something that found it easier to use Model A parts rather than engineer their own. I thought of Sayers and Scovill or Smith-Springfield but they weren't wasting time on cheap cars,