Stunning Copper Mist '71 Riviera GS arrives next door!

Centurion

My next door neighbor -- near Seattle -- has purchased a beautiful, original '71 Riviera GS, finished in Copper Mist with the Sandalwood vinyl roof and Custom Sandalwood cloth interior.

The car has about 50,000 miles and had one prior owner. The car was purchased via Ebay from a Georgia seller. I did not see the listing, but perhaps others here recall having seen the auction. Does anyone still have the link saved in his "My Ebay"?

The car apprears to be very original and correct, but I was surprised when I stepped to the front of the car and observed front bumper guards. I do not recall having ever seen bumper guards on a '71 Riviera. Were any offered? These appear to me to be bumper guards from a '72 Riviera.

Whenever there is a good opportunity, I will try to shoot some quality photos of this beautiful car!

Your neighbor scored if it was this one: 271171457433

Probably doubled his investment in shipping.

My Grandfather taught me that there are a lot of good deals out there if you don't have fish hooks in your pockets.

Bernie

Is this the one that was from the Honda Dealer? If it was, I had it saved in my Ebay as I was watching it. But Ebay finally dropped it off my list. If I recall, the dealer wanted $35K for it which I felt was way over priced for the condition it was in. The top bid when it was on Ebay was $14K which would have been spot on. I noticed a lot of things like the right side of the dash having all the finish wore off and the bumper guards which were not available in 71. Item 271171457433 was a 73 and the seller did note that on a revision.

Bob Bonto#277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Is this the one that was from the Honda Dealer? If it was, I had it saved in my Ebay as I was watching it. But Ebay finally dropped it off my list. If I recall, the dealer wanted $35K for it which I felt was way over priced for the condition it was in. The top bid when it was on Ebay was $14K which would have been spot on. I noticed a lot of things like the right side of the dash having all the finish wore off and the bumper guards which were not available in 71. Item 271171457433 was a 73 and the seller did note that on a revision.

Bob Bonto#277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Bob, I was hoping that you would reply. While my neighbor did not mention the Honda dealership or the pricing, I believe that this is the car that you had saved in "My Ebay". The bumper guards look like the '72 bumper guards to me.

Bob, is your car finished in this same color scheme?

Interestingly, I traveled to various Buick dealerships to look at the new '71 models with my parents on the introduction day of these cars. Wallace Buick in Portland, Braley & Graham Buick in suburban Portland, and Huling Buick in Eugene, Oregon all displayed their first '71 Rivieras in this exact color scheme!

Fantastic, indeed! No photos yet . . . but I did see the Riviera come and go a few times during the weekend. The new owner stopped as he returned from his Saturday morning golf game in the Riviera, shouting to tell me how much he loves the car.

Yesterday, we had a couple of other families over for Easter brunch, and I noted from our rear deck that the neighbor's garage door opened. Realizing that this was the garage door (one of eight garage doors!) for the bay where the Riviera sits, I asked all of our guests to watch carefully as the Riviera backed out and rolled down the long, curving driveway. Everyone exclaimed when they saw the spectacular Riviera in the full sunlight.

The good news, Chris, is that you'll get to see the car first-hand at the All Buick Open in Puyallup in a couple of months.

Bob, I was hoping that you would reply. While my neighbor did not mention the Honda dealership or the pricing, I believe that this is the car that you had saved in "My Ebay". The bumper guards look like the '72 bumper guards to me.

Bob, is your car finished in this same color scheme?

Interestingly, I traveled to various Buick dealerships to look at the new '71 models with my parents on the introduction day of these cars. Wallace Buick in Portland, Braley & Graham Buick in suburban Portland, and Huling Buick in Eugene, Oregon all displayed their first '71 Rivieras in this exact color scheme!

Bryan

My 71 GS is Copper Mist but it has the cloth custom bench seats with a medium gold vinyl top. Which only 456 71's had. Hope you get a chance to speak to the neighbor and find out if this was the one from the Honda dealer.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Bob, was the medium gold vinyl roof available from the start of production, or was this added during the course of the 1971 model year? I need to re-check my '71 Color and Trim album. Are your cloth custom bench seats Sandalwood, like my neighbor's car? Or does yours have the Saddle interior? Would love to see some photos of your car.

The Fisher Body plate indicates that my neighbor's car was built during the 4th week of February, 1971.

Bob, was the medium gold vinyl roof available from the start of production, or was this added during the course of the 1971 model year? I need to re-check my '71 Color and Trim album. Are your cloth custom bench seats Sandalwood, like my neighbor's car? Or does yours have the Saddle interior? Would love to see some photos of your car.

The Fisher Body plate indicates that my neighbor's car was built during the 4th week of February, 1971.

Brian,

My 71 has the sandalwood custom interior. The medium gold vinyl top was not available until after January 1971. My original plan was to go with the sandalwood top like my 69 had, but when I went to go order it, the salesman showed me the medium gold and I liked it much better with the Copper Mist. Send me a PM with your email and I will be happy to send you pictures.

Bob Bonto # 277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73:)