Wireless Turn Signals

Guest Shoe1932

Guest Shoe1932

Hello all,

I wrote a post earlier today about my ideas on how to set up our 1932 67 with turn signals and how to wire them......... I had been looking on line for a wireless set of turn signals but kept coming up with bike and motorcycle signals.

Well, I found a website and spoke with the owner, John Peterson, today and have ordered a set of his wireless signals. His company is called Smart Signals. His web site address is Antique, Classic Car and Truck Wireless, Removable, LED Turn Signals and Hazard Lights | Antique Car & Truck Removable, LED, turn signal, and hazard lights. His phone # is (800) 231-9685. He is an antique car guy who came up with a solution to a problem that has plagued me on both the '32 and our '39.....no turn signals. I talked to him for 20 minutes (on Easter weekend no less) about his concept and how he is working with insurance companies to give us a break if we use his signals and his cars. His products are magnetic and are removable for shows and better yet, they can be transferred easily between each of your cars. There is no rewiring at all. His products are American made.

His company is one year old and it has apparently been a success. He has ordered another 1,000 units which are due in sometime in mid April. When I spoke to him this afternoon I was order # 559 in line. He said that this years model is has been improved to include a few features which last years model did not have. He told me that he would be personally calling each customer when the product came in.

From what I saw on the website and learned from him, I feel that this is the best fit for me. If you are blessed with a plethora o' cars in the garage it might be a good fit for you too. Our '39 Plymouth is HPOF and just got its original tab this year. I do not want to get too crazy with anything which will take away from what that car is when showing it (even if it ok for safety reasons). These removable lights are just the answer. Pull up to the meet...quickly remove the magnetic lights and small switch....put the entire kit into the canvas bag it comes with and done.

John apologized that the photos on the website were not that great, but said that they are working on a photo shoot to get the new system on the website. I am excited about not having to do any wiring and also excited to drive with more confidence. I get very nervous when using arm signals. I am not sure many people driving these days are familiar with them.

I know........enough with the infomercial. Look into them and hope you make the list before # 1,000.

Guest Shoe1932

Barney,

He told me that the new shipment is coming in around the middle of April. Order now to get on the list.

I will try to remember to give you a call this week to try to get our Buicks together. Took it out for a long Easter drive earlier today before it started to sprinkle. Have had a few crazy weeks but hope to get together soon.

Thanks

Shoe: Thanks for the tip looks like a great product! For me the price is a bit salty. I expected about half the quoted price. But after the shop doing the "driver restoration" of my 37 Buick forgot about my written request to have turn signals incorporated into the new wiring harness. And having already installed the harness without them... Charged me well over $300 in materials alone to cobble more looms and wire runs to get the turn signals. Which at this time I am still trying to resolve some of the wiring problems this has caused. So in this instance the price is not to bad. Larry

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

Hello folks, I am a junior member car restorer (and SmartSignals inventor) and appreciate the interest in our product. I'm available personally for questions via our website. I may ask for help myself as I restore my '46 Tudor in Botsford Blue Green (a 3 year project.)

John Peterson, Founder & CEO

SmartSignals

Thanks for the information Shoe. These turn signals look like an interesting idea for simplifying the job of adding turn signals. I agree with Larry the price might be a little high, but having a couple of cars that could use turn signals they are tempting.

Hi John welcome to the forum and good luck with your 46 Tudor. Your product is very intriguing. I do have one question that comes to mind about your turn signals. Please excuse me if I missed the information on your website as I'm working off my memory from last night. As I recall the batteries could be charged 500 times which sounds good, but can the batteries be purchased separately if needed or do you just replace the entire unit when the battery will no longer hold a charge?

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

Hi, great question. I will add this to our FAQ section on the SmartSignals website. The li-ion batteries are modular, and can be replaced by us, and batteries ARE included...ha ha ha. We replace them at our cost, and we are using high-quality Panasonic li-ion batteries. Replacements cost for the set will be nominal, about $30. The average user may get 4-5 years from the cells, many longer. Thanks!

I too initially thought the price was higher than expected. But we must always remember this fellow has spent many hours developing this unit, probably built several prototypes and since the first shipment has yet to arrive, has been doing all of this out of pocket.

There is always the chance that with future orders, he may be able to cost reduce some of the parts and his supplier may need to sharpen his pencil.

As Larry noted, he has $300 in his car in just wiring (and labor) and still no turn signals. $350 is starting to look better and better.

John thanks for the quick response. That is good to know that the batteries are replaceable. I hate assuming things like that and would hate even more having to buy a new set of turn signals every few years. I also want to thank you for not only coming up with the idea, but for the fortitude to make them a reality.

Barney i agree I'm sure a lot of thought and work went into the design and I'm sure a fair expense went onto the development and production as well. They aren't priced at an outrageous cost, but high enough it just takes a little thought before committing. Unlike some an advantage to me is I have two cars that could benefit form them which makes it more attractive for me. Very tempting but I need to mull it over a few more days at least. Carl

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

My pleasure. I have three years developing these, and and I have to admit, from the idea, engineering, patenting, testing, and setting up for mass production and mass assembly has been a true joy. I mean that. I do have thousands of hours and dollars in this, but it has been the most rewarding endevour of my life- seeing the worldwide reaction, getting a call from Jay Leno inviting me to his show on my birthday...to seeing your own excitement. It has been so much fun, and this is only just beginning. Thanks for all of your feedback now and as these roll out. John

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

Hello David, the turn signal lever does not automatically cancel. The licensing fees for that mechanism were significant. We did add a feature that if the turn signal is left more than 25 seconds (if you were...eh..like many Rhode Islanders and forget) it will make a different ticking sound to get your attention.

The controller is faceplate is being re-fitted to hold the Hazard switch and the new feature, the Parking lamp switch.

I am having professional photography done of the entire system, lamps, carrying canvas case, controller, accessories etc. and should have these up on the website soon.

Stay tuned- you can sign up for our newsletter on the website.

Thanks to all for your interest.

John

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

Regarding the in-car controller, it is wireless and it too is magnetically attached to the dash, steering column or door.

We are developing, with a leather worker in England, a leather strap with hidden rare earth magnets to go around the steering column. It would appear to be a leather strap and buckle but would have powerful neodymium magnets stitched into really make it hold well.

The leather was used to add some level of visual interest and the magnets make it removable, like the exterior lamp units, in seconds if you are at a show etc.

John

• 3 months later...

The other day, I took my Pierce on a 100 mile drive....the first half, I had an Avanti behind me, with my friend Greg running interference from the back....coming home I was alone, and was very aware of today's inconsiderate drivers and the fact that I had no turn signals and a brake light that's probably dimmer than most bathroom night lites....

So, I've renewed my interest in this wireless setup.

Two questions. Are they now in stock and available? Do you now have the upgrade where they'll act as brake lights also (I believe I read you were making some kind of deceleration sensor for this)?

thanks....

Guest 46fordsuperdeluxe

Hi David, you are correct! We added a coin sized magnetic, wireless brake light sensor which is just placed on the brake pedal, shaft or even lever (for the real old cars.) it, like the rest of the system, can move from car to car in a minute.

The brake sensor is still in the testing phase but is compatible with the SmartSignals wireless system already being sold.

New stock in early August, website is smartsignals.com and you can sign up for our newsletter.

Now...it is 90 degress here in RI....a good time for open cars!

John Peterson

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a company that makes wireless back up cameras and wireless tail lights and wireless 4 way lights.  For all 4 corners, the system is almost $500.  The minimal kit of 2 wireless tail lights and a controller is $238.  This is not bad for being able to have rear turn signals, added brake lights, and emergency flashers for the rear of the car.     Hugh

https://swifthitch.com/collections/swift-taillights

• Like 2