'37 Dodge Trans & Differential refill? How much- up to the filler hole?

fozz71

I completely changed my diff and trans oil today- I have read they need 2-3 pints, but memory always says to fill up to the hole in both.

I filled both until the gear oil was running out the hole- do most folks find this to be safe and correct?

Thanks,

Jim

Make sure your rear cover is set on properly, if I remember right they can be turned a bit in either direction if not put on properly and then a chance of overfilling and you do not want that.

My filler plug is at the bottom and well below the rear axle so no chance of leaking down the axles- I remember that is the issue with overfilling. Besides that, I can't see how only a 2.5 pint fill would be enough for such a huge pumpkin.

My filler plug is at the bottom and well below the rear axle so no chance of leaking down the axles- I remember that is the issue with overfilling. Besides that, I can't see how only a 2.5 pint fill would be enough for such a huge pumpkin.

Leaking past the seals was not what I was thinking, more like foaming because the level is too high

After extensive reading- I have used the 90wt gear oil in the tranny and diff from Napa and used a GL-5 type which probably is a sulfur based oil (which may attack brass and bronze) so I suspect I have to drain it out now. Would you folks suggest I clean the cases out with some sort of agent, or just drain and refill with 600wt oil afterwards?

Just wondering if anyne has gone through this as well?

Thanks,

Jim

I put the plug back in after draining, fill with kerosine, spin the shaft by hand so it sloshes around as best as I am able and then drain and fill again with lube.

Bear in mind I have never owned a 37 and know very little about them

I'm pretty sure that the covers on those axles are welded to the housing and therefore cannot be installed incorrectly. I always use SAE 140 wt. oil in my trannies and diffs. If you clean it with kerosene ,just make sure you get all the kerosene and sludge out before you refill. If you really want to clean it ,remove the differential from the axle housing, then you can gain complete access to the housing and gears.

I'm pretty sure that the covers on those axles are welded to the housing and therefore cannot be installed incorrectly. I always use SAE 140 wt. oil in my trannies and diffs. If you clean it with kerosene ,just make sure you get all the kerosene and sludge out before you refill. If you really want to clean it ,remove the differential from the axle housing, then you can gain complete access to the housing and gears.

I see, dumps out the front than, thanks, I guess now that you mention it I guess maybe I have seen these rears posted here.

Fozz 71 checked out the Penrite Oil site and the list Shelsley Medium for engine and Trans Mild MP rof the tran and rear axle Penrite is an Australian Company that specializes in lubricants for our older cars They have 2 outlets in the US one in Atlanta and also Escondito Hope this has been helpfull Ron

Guest 37 dodge coupe

Plug is between spring and backing plate. toward rear of car. I just took mine out and install a grease zerk and left it there for next time.