Keys

lrlforfun

OK Buick People: A fellow Buick guy posted a thing on the Facebook mentioning about how nostalgic it was having a pair of keys for a car. My question is this......What years did Buick have one or two keys? I know that 60 (my year) had a single key but what about the other years???? Mitch

My 1934 has 3, one double-sided for the ignition lock, one standard type for the front doors, and another for the accessory trunk

post-54863-14314182155_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143141821573_thumb.jpg

My '60 uses two and so does the '64 Riviera. One little issue with the Riviera, though. I lost the ignition key about 20 years ago. Its not a big deal because the ignition was unlocked at the time. Only one yahoo ever looked in and knew the difference. He just hopped in and drove away, thought it was pretty funny. Gotta fix that ones of these days.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald

I found an original pair of keys for my '57 Roadmaster under the driver's side carpet. The head of the ignition and door key (including the key code tag) is octagonal and that of the trunk and glove box key is round. Both are nickel plated, colour silver.

Edited by Rob McDonald
oops (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald
My 1934 has 3, one double-sided for the ignition lock, one standard type for the front doors, and another for the accessory trunk

OFF TOPIC: Marty, I don't think I've ever told you how much I love your '34 Buick. Just so's you know.

My '60 uses two and so does the '64 Riviera. One little issue with the Riviera, though. I lost the ignition key about 20 years ago. Its not a big deal because the ignition was unlocked at the time. Only one yahoo ever looked in and knew the difference. He just hopped in and drove away, thought it was pretty funny. Gotta fix that ones of these days.

Bernie

My 64 Rivi only came with 1 key and it starts the motor and unlocks the doors & trunk. I'm the 2nd owner. Thoughts???

Here is the real key guy. He used to set up at Dunkirk. He was friendly and knowledgeable. I bought some keys from him. Welcome to Jesser's Classsic Keys

Check that your key actually locks. If the ignition is unlocked any key will turn it. Just from memory GM cars had a hex key for the ignition and a round key for the trunk. Up here where I live we don't know much about door keys; never had much worth stealing and hanging around country bars in the '60's never got us into drugs we needed to lock up.

We don't lock the back door of the house. What if a friend came by and couldn't get in? No one we care to talk with knocks on the front door so we keep that one locked.

I do think a stranger came in to rob us once. We came home and found a five dollar bill on the kitchen table. Neither my wife or I left it there so we figured someone came in, looked around for something to steal and just felt kinda sorry for us, left a fin on the table.

I'm pretty sure a '64 Riviera uses two keys after all that, but a lot can happen in 50 years.

Bernie

I do think a stranger came in to rob us once. We came home and found a five dollar bill on the kitchen table. Neither my wife or I left it there so we figured someone came in, looked around for something to steal and just felt kinda sorry for us, left a fin on the table...

Bernie

LMAO... Thats a good one Bernie.

My 56 is one key for all. the 69 is two, one for the ignition and doors, one for the trunk and glove box. The 78 is two also, one for the ignition, and one for the doors tailgate ( trunk and locing interior wagon panels) and glove box. The 06 is one key for the ignition and the doors and glove box, with no trunk lock cylinder. That plus two key fobs. Oye, I need an aspirin after figuring all that out.

My 57 Roadmaster has 2 keys: one for ignition and doors, and one for trunk and glovebox. However, my 63 Electra has only one key for everything. I seem to recall when I was a kid, that my family's 63 Electra (and our 72 Cadillac) had 2 keys -- one for ignition and doors, and one for the trunk. (I don't recall which key locked the glovebox; presumably the trunk key.) So I was surprised that my 63 Electra has only one key, but I've since been told by a couple different car guys that it isn't that uncommon for people to change the trunk and glovebox locks so that a single key operates the ignition and all locks.

No one has explicitly stated it yet, but having different keys for ignition and storage compartments is logical. It permits one to safely lock items in the glovebox and/or trunk and leave the ignition key with a parking attendant, for example.

My 78 Mercedes has two keys, but with a slightly different arrangement. There is a (square) master key that operates the ignition and all locks, and a (round) valet key that operates only the ignition and door locks. I just carry the master key when I take the car out. In the extremely unlikely event that I might need to leave the car with a parking attendant and I want to be able to lock things in the glovebox and/or trunk, I would also carry the valet key to leave with the attendant.

Ike

I know for Oldsmobile, and I always thought all of GM, the standard was 2 keys; octagon for ignition/doors, round for glovebox/trunk. It was still that way with Olds in '63 I am certain. It may have even been that way as late as 1967?

Guest dcdpgh
octagon for ignition/doors, round for glovebox/trunk. It was still that way with Olds in '63 I am certain. It may have even been that way as late as 1967?

It was at least thru '68, as my car has that same key arrangement. Perhaps '68 was the last year for this as GM went to locking steering columns in '69 from what I recall. It seems to me from '69 on GM went to square key for (column) ignition, and round key for doors, glove box, and trunk.

All my prewar cars use only one key if you don't count running board tool box keys. The 1912 Buick key is just a fat brass nail with a knurled knob, the 1924 key fits the transmission lock, and the 1929,31,&38 keys lock the steering column & ignition switch lever.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marty Roth viewpost-right.png My 1934 has 3, one double-sided for the ignition lock, one standard type for the front doors, and another for the accessory trunk

OFF TOPIC: Marty, I don't think I've ever told you how much I love your '34 Buick. Just so's you know.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Rob, Thanks for your kind words. The '34 was a temporary purchase. We saw it in 1990 on the Glidden, and bought it in '95 - to keep just until we found a '34/'35 60 0r90 Series Convertible Sedan , but all were too $$$$$, or too far gone. The full restoration came after eleven years of touring, and she is up for Senioe Grand National AACA this June at Moline, ILLinois. What a great driver, too. We love al cars, but these are extra special. Why do people pay so much more for Fords and Chevys?

post-54863-14314183046_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143141830468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald
Why do people pay so much more for Fords and Chevys?

No clue. They can't all be stupid, so they must just have been brought up wrong.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Mark, any idea when they introduced the locking steering column? I was really surprised when I found it on the '39 model.

Dad's '36 Buick had one key for all locks. When the ignigtion was locked it also locked the steering Column.

the '55 has one key for all locks.

Mom's '77 buick had two keys. Squared end for the ignition. Oval was for all other locks.

Not a Buick , But my '73 Olds had two keys. Squared end was for door locks and ignition. Oval end was for glove box and trunk