Dont ya just love a learning curve

Well the question of a low mileage 1942 Ford has been answered I believe. When roling it around the shop a few days ago I heard a clunking sound from the driveline. The sound was the one you hear when a U-joint is going bad. I have never worked on a closed driveshaft before, so a good deal of studying happened before I decided this was something I could handle. I decided it would be easier for me to raise the car and unbolt the whole axle/spring assembly then roll it our from under the car. This method worked really well. Once this was out I unbolted the U-joint from the transmission and as I was taking it off, parts fell off. Not thinking ahead I ordered a new joint and proceeded the next couple nights to scrape and wash the axle assembly. Here's where that learning curve hit me. While cleaning and inspecting the drive tube, I decided to remove the speedo gear assembly just to see what it looked like. Turns out, it's not all there, and what is is all messed up. Now I get to order the speedo drive gear and try to locate the driven assembly. Because of not looking at everything before ordering parts, I have to keep it apart another several days waiting for the drive gear. The U-joint showed up today, and since it bolts to the tranny I went ahead and put it on. With it in placeI spun the output shaft of the transmission and learned I have bearing worn. Luckily it wont be going on any real road trips before I have a chance to pull the motor and trans and rebuild them. Because the U-joint was falling apart and the trans shaft bearing worn, I seriously doubt this is a low mileage car. Even so, I still like it a lot and am looking forward to some local shows it will be going to. Here's a link to a youtbe video just in case you want to see it.

1942 Ford Fordor walk around - YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Art Anderson

Question: Is this an early "blackout" car? I ask, because the grille and its surround are painted black, while the body side trim appears to still be stainless steel.

Art

It's not blacked out. The grille is just that rusty. The grill surround is painted black which was also the cars color. I have now started to disassemblethe car to get it ready for paint. I was originaly just going to spray clear over it, but decided that it should go ahead and get painted.