1931 model L weaterstrip

avantey

I am about to have the windshield weatherstrip for the 1931 model L sedan tooled up. It is a Murray body 4 door with a crank-out single piece windshield. I know open cars are different but I am trying to find other cars that may use this weatherstrip to increase the order size. The 30-31 S sedans come to mind as they are Murray also.

Attached are the two cross sections I am making for above and below the windshield.

If you know of any other cars of any make that might use this please contact me here or at 315-529-8235.

post-31066-143141817311_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143141817317_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having been in the repro rubber business I know that having extrusions made can be expensive. There is probably a large minimum order after the cost of the dies and usually the manufacturer will run a few hundred feet just to get the extrusion heat and speed correct. A large undertaking for such a limited customer base. There is a rubber extrusion on the market that is very similar to the second drawing but I don't know if the durameter would be compatible. I assume that these are rubber and not dense foam. Also stay away from siliconized rubber; it can shrink considerably and it's very hard to glue if needed although it's a little cheaper.

Hi jpage- Thanks for the response. Since I started this thread this project has progressed very well and I am having it made. This shop has done other hobby work including some Hupp parts. He only uses EPDM with a UV inhibitor which is good and like most modern car weatherstrip. The tools were very inexpensive and he does not need a minimum order. I ordered the tooling last week and he says I should have parts off tool in two weeks. I will see how it goes but I am excited so far! Doing engineering for consumer products most of my career I have had some contact with extruded part suppliers so I was quite surprised at no min and his tool quote was 1/4 of other quotes I received. I talked to others who have used them and they were quite satisfied with them and their work so we shall see how it goes.

What is the piece similar to my part 2? I looked at many of the major suppliers and really saw nothing near to my drawings.

Thanks for the response,

If you check Restoration Specialties catalog look at the numbers 2012, 2012a 2012 ; they are similar ,not extact. We used to make up special parts from pieces of different profiles for some of the hard to find parts. Not perfect but in a pinch you do what you can! Can you PM me this company's info. It's hard to find someone who will do short runs especially in extrusions of running length material. Let us know how this turns out!

I looked ver closely at all of RS's weatherstrip at their tent in Hershey with the owner's son. I could not find anything close enough and we spent about an hour looking. I will check their catalog just to be sure.

jpage- I will PM you next.

Regards,

• 3 months later...
Guest Dvernon372

Hi. I just saw your message thread and was interested as I am restoring a 31 century s and need to replace my weatherstripping as well. How is your project going and do you think it will fit my car?

Funny you shoul ask about this! I got first samples off tools just before we went on tour in early June and they needed some work. Got busy with other things after the tour and just last night sat down to touch up the drawings. Getting ready to send out this info and get this project back in gear next week. Both pieces were pretty far off from the drawing and the part, I hope to dial it in better this next time.

Can you tell from the sketches I put up (above) if these forms will work for your S? No one has confirmed other applications for these weatherstrips yet.

Thanks, will keep you posted here and in the Locator,

Guest Dvernon372

Hi. Im sorry but, I really couldn't tell for sure from the drawings if it will work for my car. It sounds like you are still working on it. I will watch the message thread for your progress and when you get it dialed in and are happy with it, would you please post a picture? Thanks,

david