41' Buick accelerator starter problem

dustybonz

Hello everyone I just rebuilt my dual carbs for my 41. Hooked everything back up and soon as I connect the power from my battery kill switch she tries to start without me pushing the accelerator pedal. I then disconnected the linkage from the carb and she still wants to start as soon as I connect power. Anybody had this problem or know how to help. Thanks. Jake

I guess you need to confirm that your carby stater switch is defective as it sounds like this is what your problem is. Did you remove the wire from the carby switch and then connect the battery kill switch ?? It sounds like the carby starter switch is stuck in the "on" position. Do you have Stromberg or Carter carbs ??

Danny

Hello Ben. Yes installing a push button did cross my mind but the car still has all original parts and I'd like to keep all them in working order. After looking at my shop manual I need to check the Bakelite housing and make sure the spring is still intact. That may be why the plunger seems to be stuck close. In going to check it out when I get home. Hopefully that's the problem.

Jake

Oops. Seems that after looking at my shop manual which is what I should've done while rebuilding these carbs. I forgot to install the switch return spring which is why the switch plunger was stuck closed and trying to start continuously whenever it had power. I installed the spring and it worked. Didn't try to start it yet. But I'll keep you posted. Should've known when I was done and had "extras"

Jake

Jake,

Good to hear a happy ending. It's most important that you get that thing right as it would be disastrous to have the starter engage when the engine is going. Hopefully your regulator is all OK and the safety relay is working

Danny