Vehicle identification Plates on 1939 series 40

Anzac Buick64

hello

I am restoring the family 1939 series40 5 door sedan that was assembled and sold new in NZ (RHD) I am trying to find an identifiaction plate on the vehicle. I found the engine number on the crankcase but I can find no plate attached under the hood/bonnet on it anywhere. Any suggestions as to where GM NZ may have placed it when it was assembled?

Thanks

Andrew Carll

Anzac Buick64

• Like 1

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly, try on the chassis down by the firewall. Should be a number stamped there, secondly, lift the drivers side mat. Our 38 had a plate riveted there by the accelerator. They may have done the same in 39 in NZ. Terry Stock would know.

Where in NZ are you? We're in Chch.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant

The car is currently in Christchurch recieving some professional attention. I share my work time between Australia and NZ. The car normally lives either in Oamaru or Omarama and will be in Omarama when it all gets done. I will try and post a photo with my profile a little later on.

regards

Andrew.

PS your 39 coupe is a bueaty

• Like 1

Guest Mike Hanning

Hi Andrew,

The RHD cars usually have a plate about 3 inches X 1/2 an inch attached to the edge of the floor pan just ahead of the drivers seat on the drivers side under the edge of the floor mat. I have sighted the plate on NZ '39 models at that location.

I recommend you join The Buick Club of America if you haven't already done so.

Best regards,

Mike. BCA #40630

Mobile: 021 895 248

Thanks All of You

I have finally managed to attach a picture to my profile thanks to the input of my teenage son!! This car was sold new in Timaru in1939, and had 3 owners prior to my late father in law purchasing it in the late 70s. He was a spray painter and had his own car business. The family used it as a weekender for some years. My wife remembers many family picnics and rallies as young girl. In the early 80s my father in law began to restore it, he stripped the body work back to bare metal but like many projects it sat unfinished as his family and business committments grew. When Julie and I became engaged in 93 he agreed to finish it for use as our wedding car which he did and it was subsequently used for his other daughters wedding in 95. My father in law used it intermittently until his early and sudden death in 1998. It then sat in a garage for 7 years unused. I purchased it off the estate in 2005 after moving to Australia for work( I was only meant to come for 2 years). I did the brakes shortly after purchase and used it intermittently when time from work/business and family allowed. Although domiciled in Australia (Qld) I am back and forth to NZ often4 -5x a year. This year my wife and I have decided to get the car to road user finish. The engine is sound having 4000 miles since a rebuild in 1975, but the radiator/electrics, suspension,fuel, and interiors are all past it and we plan to do these up. When finished the car will be stored at the family holiday home in central otago and used on a regular "sunday driver' basis. Buicks were always the doctors car so it fits with my current work, but time is always an enemy for my wife and I, with careers active teenage children and our own business. So I am contracting out some of the work.

I will try and post some more photos later. Thanks for all your help and hope to stay in touch and meet sometime with some great cars

regards

Andrew Carll

• Like 1

Hi Andrew. I have not seen a New Zealand assembled '39 with an ID plate on the firewall (as in US).

The body number should be rivetted to the chassis. It is of a size Mike described and you should see it directly below the gearbox mechanisms attached to the steering shaft (right hand drive!) - or near the firewall end of the battery base.

If it’s not now rivetted to the chassis you will see the holes where the rivets should be.

Having said all that, our body ID is in a position like Mike described, but on the left side, and not affixed to anything. Maybe something got shifted around during 73 years.

Hi Andrew. I have not seen a New Zealand assembled '39 with an ID plate on the firewall (as in US).

The body number should be rivetted to the chassis. It is of a size Mike described and you should see it directly below the gearbox mechanisms attached to the steering shaft (right hand drive!) - or near the firewall end of the battery base..

Agree with Terry. NZ asembled '39 do not have firewall data plates. I have looked at many in NZ. The frame number is on the top of the chassis beside the starter motor (usally under dirt & grease)

I maintain a list of RHD '39' interested in your numbers. As am I Chc now (and for the next 10 days) interested in looking at your car if possible. Were you advertisiting for parts on trademe a few months ago ?

Here for http://forums.aaca.org/f165/39-buick-team-membership-342274.html

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Hello Andrew. Welcome to the world of 1939 Buick's. I've got three of them, and am one of the members of Danny's "39 Buick Team". It seems like the guys have answered your question. Top of frame rail toward the firewall end of the battery....if the chassis was shipped from the USA. I am curious if Buick put it there on a RHD car, what with the steering column, etc. all in the way. I am also curious why you call it a 5-door sedan. Where is the 5th door? Do folks in NZ call the trunklid a "door"? Finally, and important to me is you mention Omarama. Years ago (late 1970s through mid-1980s) I shipped hundreds of Buick parts to a gentleman in Omarama who had a long string of old Buicks. His name was Graham Butt. Have you ever encountered that gentleman?

Guest Grant Magrath

Earl, in NZ and Australia, we call the storage area at the rear of the car, the boot. Why? I have no idea.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Earl and all the other 39ers

Back on line,.. been busy at work for a while. Why called the boot or the trunk? Unsure of this origin but I think boot is more of an English derivation for this rear part of the car. Maybe in the early days of automobilia this was where the driver put his boots when he arrived at his destination or home? Earl what you in the USA call the hood in Australia and NZ we call the Bonnet! In Australia/NZ a hood is a reference to a minor criminal as in "hoodlum". All English speaking countries are divided by a common language. Earl I have not met any on else in Omarama with a Buick in the last 20 years and apart from mine not seen any other in the town. The town is now quite small only 2-300 permanent residents and holiday visitors other times. In the Late 70s -80s it was the base for some large scale Hydro electricity construction projects which finished in the mid 80s. the population in the area is now much smaller so the he may have moved on. I will research with some of the long term old timers next time I am there.

Still no Luck finding the ID plate on my car. :(.

Does anyone know how dissassembled the export Buicks left the Factory? My book on Buick history by Dunham and Gustin states that in 1939, 5820 Model 40 where exported as a Crated Knocked Down Chassis. What did these look like and how much assembly was done in the final destination market? Will keep looking in the meantime. 5 door sedan, where else will I put the teenagers? the dog goes inside as he is less messy!!!

regards

Andrew

Guest Grant Magrath

I think you may have to go for the number stamped in the chassis by the rear springs, Andrew.

There's an excellent book on car assembly in NZ by a guy called Mark Webster......

ASSEMBLY New Zealand Car Production 1921-98

The law dictated a certain percentage of locally made content, which explains the differences between NZ and US assembled cars (other than the obvious!). I'm more up to speed on the differences between 39 Chevies though. Might pay to start refering to your car as a 4 door sedan to avoid confusion! Teenagers can be strapped to running boards with a reasonable degree of success........!

Cheers

Grant

1936 was the 10th anniversary of General Motors assembly at Petone. They seem to have let the photographer loose for the occasion.

Go to Matapihi and you will see a selection of 1936 photos marking the occasion.

You can see crates of Buick supplies here: General Motors plant, Petone, Wellington, 1940s – International economic relations – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand

Doesn't directly answer your question but those images may give you may get some sense of the scale of the work.

Wouldn't the components have been sent to New Zealand or elsewhere in much the same way as components were sent to the various assembly plants in the USA?

If the chassis came as a complete unit, it is likely to have been numbered before it was shipped.

Had a look the car a few hours ago. In a very impressive workshop

The chassis serial plate is missing. I could feel where one of the rivets was. Guess the serial plate was removed at some time

Is a late production car: long chassis, large wiper towers, 39 bar grille & the late front bumper bracket. Engine & manifold is genuine '39

As far as I am aware were assembled in NZ from components (CKD). Local glass and possibly interior. Somewhere I have the numbers assembled (by calender year - not model year)

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Weren't the bodies made by Fisher of Canada like the Chevs?

Fisher, Flint, MI. But I do know of 1 GM Holden bodied 1939 S40 in NZ

NZ assembled '39 S40 have interior trim & exterior window moldings normally only found on USA series 60. Many NZ '39 have leather interior (not cloth)

Canadian interior is different to US interior style & close to GMH Australia style.

UK sold 1939 Buick's have a GM Canadian data plate - interior style. One of my cars has a GM Canada engine (W4692xxxxx), but the others are GM Flint [W = Walkerville:the GM plant in Ontario]

Edited by 1939_buick

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the information I do have the engine number on this car and I wonder if GM New Zealand kept records that matched the engine and chassis numbers. If they did then it may be possible to track back from the engine numbers. I was aware that the engine was an original 39 as it matched the numbers for that year from the Buick plant in Michigan. it is a number late in the serial line for the model year so best guess from the information I have found in books is that the engine was probably made in June -July 1939. From my recollection of the original ownership papers (which are some where in the offices at home:(. The car was sold new in Timaru in Nov-Dec 1939. It fits with what 1939_buick says that it is a late series car. I have seen photos in magazines in Australia of 1939 Buicks but the difference being that the door handles were in the same level as the chrome belt stripon the door rather than underneath as mine is and as USA made cars are. On Autotrader in Australia at the moment there are two 1940 Buicks for sale one a century 4 door convertible and a Buick Super. Both are RHD and the door handles are located in the same line as the chrome belt line. Photos of 1940 cars in USA have the door handles in the same place as my 1939 cars, i.e. below the chrome trim. Is the variation part of the GM Holden (Australia) body shape? I have not noticed any other detail changes between USA and Australian 39- 40 Buicks but these are differences I have seen in photos rather than in the metal. Theres a lovely 1939 8/80 roadmaster also for sale on Autotrader Australia (RHD and presumably Australia new at time of sale). Its door handles are in the same position as mine. How different were the GM Holden bodies from the Fisher Flint bodies?

regards

Andrew

Hi Guys

here are some more photos of the interior. I am uncertain which is the original finish, but I suspect the front seat is original as it looks like a wool/mohair/corduroy type material, the back seat appears to be an expensive early vinyl/synthetic of some kind. the door panels are in a brown synthetic material that I think is original. The car was a kind of dark brown originally prior to being repainted. It seems odd that the front seat appears to have survived as they usually get the most wear but maybe the back is the original. Any thoughts or ideas to clarify this? The photos have been resized to post so they fortunately don't show how awful the condition of them really is. I am surprised to hear that some NZ 39s were leather trimmed as I thought given NZs history of austerity in the 30s the simplest of trims may have been used. The hole in the pillar is where seat belts were fitted at some time in the past and I will probably reinstall some when I re do the interior

regards

Andrew

post-92291-143141828175_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141828173_thumb.jpg

The 4 most obvious external differences between Holden and Fisher bodies is firstly as you have stated above about the door handles being inline with the belt trim (the handles and trim themselves are also different to Fisher), 2, the Holden rear window is split, not a 1 piece, 3, the Holden boot is much more rounded with a different handle to Fisher and 4, the bumpers have a different profile. . The instruments, glove-box and radio are the same but nothing else from a Fisher is the same as a Holden body. The dashboard is non removable from Holden and is welded in. Holden had an electric motor for the wipers, not vacuum operated which is both good and bad. The rear seat armrest was standard on all Specials and Centurys here.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath
NZ assembled Buick had "Fisher" bodies.

Ok. Couldn't remember if they were.

My 39 Chev was Fisher Canada. All NZ assembled 39 Chevs had leather interiors as opposed to their American cousins who all had mohair. I'd say it's part of the local content percentage, along with spark plugs, batteries, exhausts, etc.

Cheers

Grant

How close to original to you intend to make it ? [which is the same as how many $$$ do you want to spend]

I will send you an email in a few days. I have 1000 plus images of '39 Buick's

There are several good cars in Christchurch with approachable owners [most of whom read this site, but not all post]

The interior door trim panels on the car in question is a long way from original. I can lend you door trims panels if want to use as sample (assuming you are going to replace). Did this with Grants coupe. With cloth seats the door trim should be cloth. I did not look under the rear seat cover to see if is cloth.

Edited by 1939_buick

.. How different were the GM Holden bodies from the Fisher Flint bodies?

A lot. GMH bodies are completey different from the cowl back: most noticeable is the for GMH '39 & '40's S40 & S60 the rear window is 2 piece. GM Fisher are 1 piece. Doors are different shape & construction method. We have discussed before on the forum. Will try to find the thread.

The 1939 Series 80 for sale has a USA Fisher Body. Been for a sale for a long time. GMH did not make the larger bodies in Oz. Norm Darwin's book on GM Aust history is the reference. There is aslo a Buick in Australia book, published by NSW club member.

A lot of the serial numbers - production information was researched by the late Dave Corbin. Sadly not longer available to the Buick community

Look here http://forums.aaca.org/f165/buick-books-etc-256224.html and here http://forums.aaca.org/f115/buick-owners-bookshelf-197781.html

Guest Grant Magrath
There are several good cars in Christchurch with approceable owners [most of whom read this site, but do not post]

The interior door trim panels on the car in question is a long way from original. I can lend you door trims panels if want to use as sample (assuming you are going to replace). Did this with Grants coupe. With cloth seats the door trim should be cloth. I did not look under the rear seat cover to see if is cloth.

It was very kind of you thanks Allan. Helped us out no end!

Cheers

Grant

Hi Guys

thank you all for your input. I guess that i will have to make a major effort and try to find the original papers in one of my offices. sigh..more paper work:( thanks for all you help. and to 1939_buick thanks for your offer of the door panels for patterns. Will talk/email again about that later. hey Grant did you consider changing your car from LHD to RHD for NZ use?

thank you all once again for your help on this matter

regards

Andrew

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Andrew.

We did think about converting, but it's perfectly legal to drive here, being (well) over 20 years old. Also, LHD is less of an issue at 50-55mph, as everyone is overtaking you, not the other way around, which can be a pain, as I found in the Stingray. Finally, if ever the time comes to sell the car, the available market is larger if we include America.

You've done a pretty good thing getting on to this forum. There are some very clued up people here with a lot of experience ready to give you a hand.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Guys

Well after dying in the dusty realms of the office I finally found the original ownership papers for the Car:). amazing how family memories can be so accurate but also so wrong as to Origins. The car was sold new in Dunedin in NZ 15 Dec 1939. Chassis number 13594707 fits with the production numbers of the Flint factory in the USA. The numbers I get from the book "Standard catalogue of Buick 1903 - 2000 " lists the final chassis number from Flint that model year as 13596806. This fits with the observations of 1939_buick its a model late in the series run. If model year changes were in September then this would fit with a time frame to allow the car to be sold new in Dunedin in December 1939. There have been six owners up till our family purchased in 1977. Of the six owners two were car sales yards that held the vehicle for less than a month, the first owners held the vehicle from new until 1955. In that time it changed ownership name from father to daughter but remained at the same residential address in Dunedin. This car seems to stick in families!!

With the chassis number is there any way you can research to find other details that may have been on the original chassis ID plate, and if you can find this information is it possible to make a replica ID plate? Thanks once again to all for your help and input. Next job will be to see if I can find some photos of the car in its earlier life in the family photo albums.

regards

Andrew

Edited by Anzac Buick64 (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Sorry to disappoint you Andrew, but Kiwi Buicks never had a trim tag like the American ones. Terry mentioned it earlier. Your best bet would be to find bits of original colour somewhere on the car, and any original fabric that might still be around. Then you can either get some fabric, or a complete or part interior kit from Hampton Coach by LeBaron Bonney Company - Antique Auto Restoration - Chevy 1916-1954, Buick 1927-1955!

Cheers

Grant

...With the chassis number is there any way you can research to find other details that may have been on the original chassis ID plate, and if you can find this information is it possible to make a replica ID plate?...
Now days almost anything can be replicated if you have enough money

The (missing) chassis/frame serial number plate is about 20 mm x 75 mm with a Buick logo and the numbers. Will send you photos.

As above, NZ assembled Buick's do not have data plates on the cowl/firewall. Will also send you photos of USA, Canadian & Aussie data plates Then you will understand what we are on about

Your car 13594707 - engine 437806xx siblings

Car 13594704 - engine 43780707. In 1995 it was auctioned in CHC. A black unrestored car from Timaru with cloth / bedford cord interior. At the auction I was the only person who knew how to start it (of the accelerator) and open the hood/bonnet. Now its red and was for sale in Auckland a few years ago. Interior fabric is not the original style and dash is painted. For the same (or less) money they could have had the interior fabric in the original style.

Car 13594716 - engine 43780726 is in Northland. Was at Napier in 2003 for the NZ Buick meet

Car 13594719 - engine 43779280 was built as a coupe, but has been cut down to a convertible. Was at Napier in 2003 for the NZ Buick meet

Is a reasonable assumption all these cars rolled down the Petone assembly line together

My records of RHD '39's do not have any later numbers after this group

Other info

Reference Nov 1987 Aust Buick Journal

147 1939's produced by GM NZ

1422 1939's produced by GMH Aust

• 4 years later...
Guest camarie

Hi all in NZ, I am searching for a Particular Buick that I am sure will still be in the South Island of New Zealand. Buick 1939 46 C , car was once owned by a Peter Rhodes or his father Clarry Rhodes. Car is Maroon in Colour , beige Top, cloth interior , opera seats.

If anyone knows of this car or it's whereabouts , would appreciated some pointers here. Car is right hand drive and has been in NZ ( I think) from New.

Thanks all

Cameron

13 minutes ago, camarie said:

Hi all in NZ, I am searching for a Particular Buick that I am sure will still be in the South Island of New Zealand. Buick 1939 46 C , car was once owned by a Peter Rhodes or his father Clarry Rhodes. Car is Maroon in Colour , beige Top, cloth interior , opera seats.

If anyone knows of this car or it's whereabouts , would appreciated some pointers here. Car is right hand drive and has been in NZ ( I think) from New.

Thanks all

Cameron

Was owned by Peter Rhodes. (son of Clarry).  1 of 2 NZ new 1939 46C's.

Is now back in the Chc area, after being way down south for some years. It has a history

It Is not owned by me (past, present or future) .

What is your interest in this car?

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Guest camarie

I know this Car from when I was a child , I am very much interested to acquire the car, I am based out of NZ, but grew up in CHCH .

Thanks all

Cameron

Guest camarie
7 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Was owned by Peter Rhodes. (son of Clarry).  1 of 2 NZ new 1939 46C's.

Is now back in the Chc area, after being way down south for some years. It has a history

It Is not owned by me (past, present or future) .

What is your interest in this car?

And yes the car has some history, of which I could probably tell some of it

thanks again

13 minutes ago, camarie said:

I know this Car from when I was a child , I am very much interested to acquire the car, I am based out of NZ, but grew up in CHCH .

My understanding is that Peter R knows the history of this car from new

It is public knowledge that this car was  at the Oct 2016 CHCH McLeans Island VCC swap meet (1000's of people go the swap meet)

Would be cheaper to buy a similar car in USA.  With a 1939 RHD donor car/chassis you will have a RHD 1939 46C

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Guest camarie
5 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

My understanding is that Peter R knows the history of this car from new

It is public knowledge that this car was  at the Oct 2016 CHCH McLeans Island VCC swap meet (1000's of people go the swap meet)

Would be cheaper to buy a similar car in USA.  With a 1939 RHD donor car/chassis you will have a 1939 46C

Thanks .  Interesting you think that buying a Left hand 1939 46 C in the USA, and finding a right hand ( any 39  cab and chas I assume) would be a cheaper option ??

Thanks again, really appreciate your time, what is you name if I may ask

Regards

Cameron

Edited by MrEarl
Remove disparaging comment (see edit history)

camarie, if sincerely interested in finding and or purchasing the car I would suggest starting a new thread with pertinent info in the title and a bit that you know about the car in the subject. But do please refrain from making any disparaging remarks about anyone associated with the cars past. Thanks and good luck in finding the car, it sounds to be a very interesting car/