2003 Buick LeSabre, Dark Bronzemist Metallic

stock_steve

Going to get started here documenting a non-antique Buick that may perhaps survive in present ownership into "official antique-hood," as defined by AACA--though I don't mind taking up some space here, for now, to document this 10-year-old LeSabre, in the "Buick Club of America" forum area.

As is noted at the bottom, I am also a recently consummated new BCA member, #47004, having received my membership card and decal from BCA National Office Administrators Mike & Nancy Book, via a snail mail postmarked 28 February 2013, from Columbus, OH.

Briefly, as of a few days ago, on Thursday, March 21st, 2013, this particular 2003 model year Buick LeSabre, VIN 1G4HP52K23U280913, officially became "mine" in the eyes of the state, when I finally got it officiall registered. The odometer reading at the time I registered it was 20,793 miles--so in many ways it's "just a baby!"

My father purchased the car originally on 6/12/2003, from Wallingford Buick-GMC, a.k.a. "The Wallingford Auto Company," located at 1122 Old Colony Road, Wallingford, CT 06492. An odometer statement that was also among the paperwork my father kept indicated that the car had 9 miles on it when he purchased it.

So far I've scanned the original window sticker that my father thankfully kept, and perhaps I will scan some other documents related to the car along the way, plus, of course, I'll be adding pictures of the car along the way as well, as I am able, hopefully to include many various trips & adventures me and my family will enjoy with it in the years to come. The window sticker (that I had to "stitch together" from two scans, since it was slightly too big for the scanner that I used) appears below.

post-34222-143141815381_thumb.jpg

My father, who passed away a few years ago, had a few Buicks in his time, including, among the ones I'm aware of, a mid-'50s or so two-door coupe (eventually I'll scan and post an old b&w polaroid that shows a bit of that car), then a '65 Skylark Convertible, a '70 Skylark 2-door hardtop, a 1994 Regal Custom, and then this 2003 LeSabre which was his last car (the '94 Regal was traded in toward the LeSabre at 87,487 miles).

He also had a few Volkswagens back in the late '50s and early '60s, which may have been subconsciously influential in developing my old-VW interests. But this thread is about the '03 LeSabre, so that's where I plan to stick.

Thanks for reading, and, again, as noted, I'll be gradually building up this thread as we go along.

Steve

BCA #47004

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

STEVE, welcome to the always lively Buick Forums. Don't worry that your car isn't old enough to be included here. My Roadmaster was only 16 years old when I got it and now, suddenly, it's 56 years old. How in the world did that happen? Why didn't I get old along with it?

Oh yeah, right.

Anyway, I can't visualize what a 2003 LeSabre looks like because, in my reality, 2003 must still be way off in the future. Please post pictures; even some of those new-fangled digital ones might work here.

(What's with the golden tire valve cap?)

STEVE, welcome to the always lively Buick Forums. Don't worry that your car isn't old enough to be included here. My Roadmaster was only 16 years old when I got it and now, suddenly, it's 56 years old. How in the world did that happen? Why didn't I get old along with it?

Oh yeah, right.

Anyway, I can't visualize what a 2003 LeSabre looks like because, in my reality, 2003 must still be way off in the future. Please post pictures; even some of those new-fangled digital ones might work here.

(What's with the golden tire valve cap?)

Many thanks Rob for the very nice welcome!

I will get some photos of the car going here next chance I get! There are already a couple in the "Please introduce yourself" section.

It's kind of "jellybean shape," and as such blends in quite effectively with the general automotive landscape, and the beige color also doesn't help it stand out much either. But no matter, it's still a Buick, and a decent one at that. I am currently waiting on some whitewall tires to come in, which should perk up the looks a bit. I am also working up a set of "juvenile delinquent" wheels & tires, and so those'll also be documented at some point also.

The "golden" valve cap relates to the old school metal valve stem caps that I sell casually for fun--see the links in my signature line.

Thanks again and Happy Buick-ing!

Steve

BCA #47004

It was either the Luck of the Polish, or maybe more likely the Luck of the Irish, that our recovery mission was successful, the day we went to bring it home, which was Sunday, March 17th, 2013.

Right after putting in a new battery, checking the fluids, and pumping up the tires a bit, we got the LeSabre started up from where it had been sitting for a considerable time. These shots were taken right after fire-up. You can see that our matching stealth beige fleet grew by one that day--our '99 Toyota Camray is virtually the same color!

Both of the exterior rear view mirror housings, and the space inside the gas door, were PACKED with bee hives!

post-34222-143141816477_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141816489_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141816501_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141816512_thumb.jpg

Drove home gingerly later that day on some rather noticeably flat-spotted tires...

Some celebratory green beer was enjoyed that evening!

Steve

BCA #47004

New *whitewall* tires arrived yesterday (see below), so the car goes to the local garage today to get them mounted up--excitement!

I will have them also do a general check-over of the car, since it was sitting for such a long time... I also have to take it thru CT emissions (they give you 30 days after you register it to get that done), so another good reason to have the garage check it out.

post-34222-143141817984_thumb.jpg

Here's also a picture of the ignition key, remote control key fob, and "Wallingford Auto Co." key fob from the dealership where my dad bought the car:

post-34222-143141817995_thumb.jpg

My only (minor) disappointment is that I am probably not going to have use of the car thru the upcoming long holiday weekend. Oh well, I'm sure the wait will be worth it. I'll just have to "make do" with driving one of my old VWs!

Steve

BCA #47004<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

New whitewalls are mounted up, and the car's been checked-through, but the garage won't be open until tomorrow for me to pick it up, so no new updates.

Instead I will go back to Sunday, March 17th, where I photodocumented the as-received car once we got it back home. That plate is my dad's old one--and long out-of-date, so I certainly took a chance driving the car home like that. Happy to have the car legally registered now.

These shots show the general as-received condtion. Note that big dent on the passenger's door (sustained toward the end of my father's driving career--'nuff said); I'm going to go see a "dent wizard" eventually to see what might be able to be done about it in the way of "paintless" measures...

post-34222-143141821949_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141821955_thumb.jpg

Have a Happy Easter!

Steve

BCA #47004

post-34222-143141821928_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141821942_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141821961_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141821969_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141821978_thumb.jpg

One more quick update for now, to show my new CT plate, that was acquired on Thursday, March 21st, 2013. I snapped this picture in dim early morning light (you can see my camera was struggling to compensate a bit) on Friday, March 22nd (some frost on the trunk lid):

post-34222-143141822028_thumb.jpg

I am already working on a vanity plate, so this one's going to be replaced eventually. Stay turned...

Happy Easter once again,

Steve

BCA #47004

Guest 4 bufords

car looks great steve,i had a 94 lesabre for a few years and a 2001 lesabre,both were wonderful gas with great gas mileage. 07 lacrosse was nice too but smaller,4 bufords from ct

car looks great steve,i had a 94 lesabre for a few years and a 2001 lesabre,both were wonderful gas with great gas mileage. 07 lacrosse was nice too but smaller,4 bufords from ct

A lot of room in this '03 for sure. Have to do some more driving before I can get a good feel for mpg's. This is my first Buick and my first "big" car in general.

Thanks for the comments 4 bufords!

As was mentioned in another Buick thread (http://forums.aaca.org/f115/buick-club-logo-emblem-237364.html), the Minuteman Chapter of the Buick Club of America (Welcome to the Minuteman Chapter of The Buick Club Of America Web Site) is offering some very cool 2" diamter emblems, with a small threaded stud on the back for attaching (supplied with knurled nut and a large washer). I ordered one, and it arrived promptly (thanks again Dave from Minuteman Chapter), and a couple of days ago I had some fun attaching it to the car. Here are some pictures documenting what was received, and how I ultimately chose to install it:

post-34222-143141826556_thumb.jpg

As you can see, one of the license plate holes was chosen for attaching it (which was one of the suggestions on the supplied instruction sheet). I used one of the bottom ones since the '03 LeSabre does not use the bottom two plate holes for attaching the front plate. Looks pretty spiffy. Nice job Minuteman Chapter!

And while I was at it, I also stuck on the BCA decal that came with my original membership welcome letter, and an AACA decal, onto the inside of the small left rear door quarter window pane:

post-34222-143141826569_thumb.jpg

I'd say we are now properly "regaled!"

Steve

BCA #47004

post-34222-143141826524_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141826534_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141826549_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141826564_thumb.jpg

On behalf of my Minuteman Chapter and me personally, thank you for the pictures depicting your new BCA Logo Grille Badge/License Plate Topper! We're happy that you're happy.....

Eh, a little mishap to report on from this past weekend... </SPAN>

I drove into some leaves at the edge of a wooded area near my house, trying to get the car out of the way in preparation for some other stuff going on in my driveway (namely my father-in -law coming over, and knowing his lousy record of backing up into things when it's time to leave...). Wouldn't you know that as soon as I got out of the car, I heard a "wooshing" noise--turns out I had pierced the sidewall of the brand new right front tire with the sharp edge of a branch that was hidden in the leaves.

post-34222-143141839721_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141839731_thumb.jpg

Amazingly, I had purchased the extra road hazard coverage when I bought the tires, but I still have to get it removed from the rim, and ship it back to the tire place, all at my expense, and then they’ll ship me back a new replacement @ no charge (which I then have to get remounted & balanced).</SPAN>

But it also gave me an opportunity to try out the “alternate” set of wheels & tires that I had been working on in the background for a while. These are some generic steel replacement wheels that I bought new, then had powdercoated a nice rich gloss black at a local powdercoating shop. The tires were the larger of the two correct 15” tire size designations for the ’03 LeSabre (the WWs were the smaller of those two approved sizes). </SPAN>

I finished off the look with some push on chromed plastic lug nut head covers (over the wrenching flats of those very oddball lug nuts which have the fat externally threaded portion for holding on the LeSabre hubcaps—never saw anything like that!).</SPAN>

I will say this: The sidewalls of the Cooper tires seem a lot stiffer than the flexy Hankook sidewalls, so perhaps they might have some better puncture resistance?! The car feels quite solid with the Coopers.

</SPAN>

post-34222-143141839735_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141839739_thumb.jpg

Now on to figuring out some good ways to clean & detail RWL tires, which I have little to no experience with. I already know about Bleche-White and a stiff bristle brush for cleaning, but as far as any sort of dressing to put on the tires afterward, I am worried about dirt & debris ending up on the white letters, where it’ll probably show up a lot more than on a blackwall tire… Would like to keep *the black parts* of the sidewalls nice and fresh looking (though not necessarily shiny)...</SPAN>

Onward and upward…</SPAN>

Steve</SPAN>

2003 Buick LeSabre, Dark Bronzemist Metallic</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN>

Back in post #1 of this thread I mentioned about how my family had some Buick background way back in the day, and also some VW background around the same era. Today's installment incorporates a couple of old scanned polaroids (recently unearthed from the old family homestead up in the central part of the state) that further illustrate some of that stuff...

Photo #1 is date stamped "Mar 62," and shows what I believe is my dad's old '57 Buick Special, with my mom at the wheel. I have a very vague recollection of the car being two tone light metallic blue and white. I remember my mom complaining about it because it did not have power steering.

post-34222-143141845427_thumb.jpg

And check the foreground of the shot--it's my dad's black '61 VW Sunroof Bug. I can also see that the driveway had yet to be paved.

Back on that '57 Buick, in more recent house-mucking, I think we found the glovebox packet containing the original owner's manual, an accessories brochure, and various other paperwork related to the car. I will plan to do some scanning and present some of those materials in a future installment.

For completeness-sake, I am also including Photo #2, even though it does not show any Buicks. It does, however, show that by April of '65 my dad had gotten the driveway paved, and that's yours truly (I was 5 years old at the time of that photo) looking a bit wistful with the '61 Bug in the background of the shot...

Nice job by my mom outfitting me with those stylish "clamdiggers"...

post-34222-143141845446_thumb.jpg

Steve</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest shadetree77

That's some bad luck about that tire. I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a tire punctured by a stick! At least you purchased the hazard insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got that tire with the pierced sidewall all packaged up and ready for shipping, using some old pieces of cardboard boxes to encapsulate the tire, accompanied by a mile or so of packaging tape. I decided to call the place to get instructions about specifically where to direct it, in light of the "road hazard coverage" that I think I mentioned previously I had paid extra for with this particular set of tires (it came out to $10 per tire extra at the time of purchase).

What do you know--the fellow with the tire company said: "Don't bother, we'll just ship you the replacement."

Pretty cool!

So, I also saved some shipping dollars, since the way the coverage is written, the customer has to ship the tire back to the company at his own expense.

I had that phone call with the tire company on 4/15/2013, and the nice new replacement tire just showed up at my house yesterday (4/23/2013).

My expenses through this experience have included: 1) having the local garage dismount the punctured tire, 2) the mile or so of packaging tape that I used encapsulating the tire for return to the tire place, 3) having the local garage mount and balance the new tire, which I plan to get done shortly, and 4) whatever the local garage will charge me to dispose of the punctured tire (I am pretty sure they can do that cheaper than my local transfer station, that I think charges me $10 per tire to dispose of them).

I am *guessing* that since I had purcahsed eight new tires (the Hankook whitewalls, and the Cooper RWLs) and four new steel wheels (the ones I eventually got powder coated to go with the Cooper tires) within the past couple of months, and another set of four new snowtires for my previous car about 3/4 of a year ago, that the tire company figured it was good business not to have me go thru the trouble of returning the bad tire.

The tire company, by the way, is a large and reputable internet based company, with main office, I think, in Arizona, and who are big on their "free shipping" policy. I will certainly do business with them again--though I am not sure about whether or not I'd by another Hankook brand tire...

Onward and upward!

Steve</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest Rob McDonald

STEVE, did you ever find a metal BCA license plate frame? I've got one that I picked up at the club booth at Hershey or Carlisle in 1984. I haven't been a member for a long time and would be acting fraudulently, if I was to drive my Buick with this item displayed. Not that driving my Buick is likely to happen any time soon. Because of your enthusiasm for your new-to-you Buick, I'd like to send you this souvenir, free of charge. Just send me a Private Message with your mailing address.

STEVE, did you ever find a metal BCA license plate frame? I've got one that I picked up at the club booth at Hershey or Carlisle in 1984. I haven't been a member for a long time and would be acting fraudulently, if I was to drive my Buick with this item displayed. Not that driving my Buick is likely to happen any time soon. Because of your enthusiasm for your new-to-you Buick, I'd like to send you this souvenir, free of charge. Just send me a Private Message with your mailing address.

Ho ho! Very cool! Thank you Rob! That's extremely gracious and generous of you! I will be vey pleased to provide my mailing address!

And you know something, there is an old phrase: "What goes around comes around," because I will be pleased to do my best to return the favor--so please also make sure to include your mailing address within the package!

Thank you again!

Steve</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest Rob McDonald

STEVE, I much prefer the principal of Pay It Forward. Next time you hear a plea from a fellow Buick nut, whom you feel you can help, please do so on my behalf. The frame is in the mail, so to speak.

STEVE, I much prefer the principal of Pay It Forward. Next time you hear a plea from a fellow Buick nut, whom you feel you can help, please do so on my behalf. The frame is in the mail, so to speak.

I'll do my best to uphold your philosophy in return for your gracious gesture, Rob--thank you again!

I just checked the odometer on the LeSabre during lunchtime today (Tuesday, April 30th, 2013), and it's now at 22,816, making for 2,023 miles I've driven it so far.

Still a few minor issues to work out, but really enjoying and appreciating this car in so many ways.

It's funny, I also notice other LeSabres a lot more on the roads now. I compare colors, and decide what looks best. A lot of silver ones out there, it seems, and they look nice. Dark Bronzemist compares well, still, I would say. The all time coolest I've seen so far, though, was, I would say, a bright white (possibly pearlescent?), with chromed alloy wheels. Maybe like this one, which I think was labeled in the google image search as a "Celebration" edition:

http://www.smartcarguide.com/listimg/img1_0413/11/img_10242734_00.jpg

Anyway, onward and upward...

Steve</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• Like 1

Guest Rob McDonald

STEVE, my last BMW was Kashmir Beige Metallic, a lot like your Dark Bronzemist Metallic. It was a great colour for this part of the world. Parked at a curb in the winter, daylight reflected off the snow and lit up the lower park of the car, for a very nice effect. Too bad I never photographed that. Also, this shade of brown is very close to the composite colour of the sand and gravel that the city spews all over the streets, from October through April. Clinging to the car ten minutes after you leave the car wash, it just didn't show up on that car. The replacement Bimmer is black, the worst possible shade for around here. It never looks clean.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
STEVE, my last BMW was Kashmir Beige Metallic, a lot like your Dark Bronzemist Metallic. It was a great colour for this part of the world. Parked at a curb in the winter, daylight reflected off the snow and lit up the lower park of the car, for a very nice effect. Too bad I never photographed that. Also, this shade of brown is very close to the composite colour of the sand and gravel that the city spews all over the streets, from October through April. Clinging to the car ten minutes after you leave the car wash, it just didn't show up on that car. The replacement Bimmer is black, the worst possible shade for around here. It never looks clean.

What do you know, Rob, Mrs. Stock Steve drives a black BMW for a cold-weather driver, and goes positively nuts trying to keep it clean-looking! We can relate!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Had the LeSabre in to the shop recently, primarily to diagnose a stalling/idling issue that the car has more or less had the entire time I've been driving it. Was traced to a bad fuel pressure regulator. The car runs SUPER now! What a pleasure to drive!

I don't have an exact odo reading to report right now, but we're definitely over 24,000 miles (started out at 20,793), so that's somewhere around maybe 3,500 total miles traveled.

And now that the car is running really well, I think I can finally screw up the courage to calculate what kind of mpg's I'm getting (definitely didn't want to "go there" while the car was having those idling/stalling problems).

And finally, I don't have it on the car yet, and hence no picture of it yet, but my Edmonton, Alberta-based Buick friend Rob sent along a VERY nice item. Thanks again Rob! Will be posting a picture of it next chance I get!

Onward and upward,

Steve

BCA #47004<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I drove out to Westbook, CT this past Saturday, June 8th, 2013, for an open house gathering at a noted Shoreline-area old car specialist, "Cardone & Daughter Automotive" (ref: Vintage Car Repair & Service in Connecticut - Cardone & Daughter | Vintage Car Service & Repair in Connecticut – Cardone & Daughter), who were specially welcoming VW folks from the CT VW Association that day (Cardone & Daughter Automotive host various club-specific gatherings during the season).

While there I had the opportunity to chat with Chris, who is a hard-working volunteer with the CT VW Association (ref: Connecticut Volkswagen Association), and who is the new owner of my former daily driver 1996 VW Passat station wagon. I had parked the LeSabre next to Chris's Passat when I got there, and at one point I was able to get a nice shot of Chris posing with both cars, and with some of the Cardone & Daughter Automotive signage in the background:

post-34222-143141940109_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear the Passat is treating you well, Chris, and great job fixing up all the stuff that I had neglected! Ouch!

Steve

Have gone thru first tank since my local garage fixed the fuel pressure regulator issue. </SPAN>

Based on this morning’s fill-up, the miles per gallon for all-around driving calculates out to just about 25 exactly—not bad for a car of this size and performance, I'd say.

</SPAN>

The V6 Passat (w/5-speed manual trans) that Chris is posing with in the photo (see previous post) I think usually got around 24 mpg's.

So, again, a nice comparison by the big, quiet, comfortable, and decently-powered Buick!

Steve

BCA #47004<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 2 months later...

I have been driving our family’s super-high-miles, super-rickety ’92 Taurus wagon lately—mainly because I don’t trust it with my teenage daughter driving it (it already broke down on her once and I definitely don’t need her getting stranded somewhere), and have let her drive the ’03 LeSabre for the most part (now at a little over 28k original miles—a VERY nice car--I'll report back with the actual current odometer miles later today).

I try to drive one of the old VWs around whenever possible, but I have to admit that most of my work commuting this summer has been with the Taurus. I figure I might as well “use it up,” as I feel it is probably not long for this world.

</SPAN>

Not sure if I can get out to the Wallingford (CT) Buick event this coming Sunday (8/18/2013, ref: http://forums.aaca.org/f115/yankee-chapter-show-wallingford-buick-sunday-356796.html)--sure would like to, but I also have a lot of other non-car-related "sh*t" going on in my life that has been taking precedence over car stuff lately! Ah well, we have to do what we have to do!

Don't forget to check the "I Love The Picture Of This Buick" thread (http://forums.aaca.org/f115/i-just-love-picture-buick-339973.html) where I've been posting various Buick pictures from some of the recent car events that I have been able to make it out to, including the big "Time Machines 2013" event in late July (Guilford Fairgrounds, Guilford, CT), and also will eventually be adding a couple more from the recent "North Branford Potato & Corn Festival" classic car cruise that was held on Friday evening, August 2, 2013, in North Branford, CT--there were a couple of beautiful Buicks there too!

EDIT: Exact current odometer as of today = 28,228 - which means between me and my daughter, we've put on 7,435 miles, over the past 5 or so months--which appears to compute out to a rate of about 17,844 miles per year. I guess that's what daily driving will get you...

Onward and upward...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/30/2013 at 11:12 AM, stock_steve said:

I'll do my best to uphold your philosophy in return for your gracious gesture, Rob--thank you again!

I just checked the odometer on the LeSabre during lunchtime today (Tuesday, April 30th, 2013), and it's now at 22,816, making for 2,023 miles I've driven it so far.

Still a few minor issues to work out, but really enjoying and appreciating this car in so many ways.

It's funny, I also notice other LeSabres a lot more on the roads now. I compare colors, and decide what looks best. A lot of silver ones out there, it seems, and they look nice. Dark Bronzemist compares well, still, I would say. The all time coolest I've seen so far, though, was, I would say, a bright white (possibly pearlescent?), with chromed alloy wheels. Maybe like this one, which I think was labeled in the google image search as a "Celebration" edition:

http://www.smartcarguide.com/listimg/img1_0413/11/img_10242734_00.jpg

Anyway, onward and upward...

Steve</SPAN>

BCA #47004</SPAN><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I love my 03 light bronzemist lesabre! I would love to find a red pearl celebration edition, or white pearl would be great too! I noticed the one you pictured has the pga tour badges on it. Hard to find but I have the pillar emblems on mine but cant for the life of me find the the frt fender and trunk badges. I'm an emblem freak.

20190827_163210.jpg

• Like 1