Hello from Maryland!

mrrodriguez77

Hey everyone. Just thought I would drop a line to introduce myself. My name is Mike and my uncle just purchased a 1965 Buick Riviera. The car is located in the Seattle Washington area and he will be transporting it down to TX. I'm going to be helping him with restoration and what not.

The big obstacle is that he purchased it on Ebay. The car from the pictures looks to be in great shape but I am a little weary. Not sure if there are any Riviera owners in the Lakewood area of Seattle, but seeing as it is extremely difficult to gauge the condition of the car through phone calls and photos, would there be anybody that would be willing to take a look at it for us? We would definitely compensate you for your time. The car is going to be put on a Western Auto Transport, so we are not worried about it making a long haul trip. Just want to gauge any potential problems.

I'll post up some pictures as soon as I get them.

Thanks so much for your time guys and look forward to some great info and conversations!

Mike R.

Edited by mrrodriguez77 (see edit history)

Mike,

Is it this Ebay # 160994196757? It looks like a pretty nice unmolested car. Good color, too. It looks like a car you can spend time detailing with a toothbrush and lots of polishing cloths.

I like it!

Bernie

Mike,

Is it this Ebay # 160994196757? It looks like a pretty nice unmolested car. Good color, too. It looks like a car you can spend time detailing with a toothbrush and lots of polishing cloths.

I like it!

Bernie

Bernie,

That is it sir! My uncle called me this morning to tell me that he had indeed won the auction...and then he was asked..."what do I do now?" :)

I just looked at the ebay auction to which Bernie made a reference. If in fact that is the car, Bernie is correct; just some minor detailing to bring it to complete status. My suggestion would be to look at as many '65 Rivieras that you can and see what's yet to be done or what may not be factory correct (like the wheel covers and outside rear view mirror.) One excellent way to do that would be to join the ROA and drive the car to Lexington, KY for the ROA's annual meet in June. There will be many members there who would be more than happy to help you with ideas. There will also be vendors there who may have just exactly what you're looking for. The link for the ROA is in my signature. In the website, you can find membership information as well as information on the meet in Lexington.

Ed

I just looked at the ebay auction to which Bernie made a reference. If in fact that is the car, Bernie is correct; just some minor detailing to bring it to complete status. My suggestion would be to look at as many '65 Rivieras that you can and see what's yet to be done or what may not be factory correct (like the wheel covers and outside rear view mirror.) One excellent way to do that would be to join the ROA and drive the car to Lexington, KY for the ROA's annual meet in June. There will be many members there who would be more than happy to help you with ideas. There will also be vendors there who may have just exactly what you're looking for. The link for the ROA is in my signature. In the website, you can find membership information as well as information on the meet in Lexington.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks so much for the reply. This has actually been MY dream car for quiet some time, so to see a family member pick one up is just as good. I've already started reseaching parts and what not as it is stated in the auction that there are a few items missing.

I'll also pass on to my uncle the rivowners.org website as well. I do know that he is looking to add some aftermarket wheels, nothing too crazy but I do believe he will be leaving the rest of the car alone. Thanks so much for the quick replies everyone!

Mike

Bernie,

That is it sir! My uncle called me this morning to tell me that he had indeed won the auction...and then he was asked..."what do I do now?" :)

Tell him "Join the Riviera Owners Association. There's a ton of information on their website. www.rivowers.org including membership information and information on the upcoming annual meet in Lexington. Plus you'll get their bi-monthly publication, the Riview. It's full of facts, pictures, and articles. There's a list of Tech Advisors you can call for assistance as well."

Ed

I see the car is back on ebay and the seller also has it on CL for $9,500, did your uncle not buy it?

Thankfully no. I'm part of a Dodge Forum and I had one of my local members go and check it out for us. The car is in horrible condition. Passenger side floor board is nearly rusted through, the paint is appalling, headlights dont' work. The compression test on the motor didn't yield any issues, but it is in need of a severe tuneup as my mechanic member mentioned. It would be good for a restoration obviously, but the 95% complete is utterly false.

So, back to the drawing board. Thanks so much everyone for all the help and info. We'll see what we can find.

Thankfully no. I'm part of a Dodge Forum and I had one of my local members go and check it out for us. The car is in horrible condition. Passenger side floor board is nearly rusted through, the paint is appalling, headlights dont' work. The compression test on the motor didn't yield any issues, but it is in need of a severe tuneup as my mechanic member mentioned. It would be good for a restoration obviously, but the 95% complete is utterly false.

So, back to the drawing board. Thanks so much everyone for all the help and info. We'll see what we can find.

Mike,

Shoot me an email with your contact info and criteria (year, budget, options,colors, etc.) and I will keep an eye open for you. I come across some good cars every now and then, but I can't buy them all, lol. candjpollak@hotmail.com

Thanks, Chris