1929 BUICK MASTER SPEEDOMETER GEAR AND CABLE

raydurr

I am in need of someone who can repair or duplicate my speedometer cable and housing. I also need the driven speedometer gear.I have a source of a new driven gear housing.I may also need the drive gear,Ill know later. This is a result of an old and deteriorating housing that Ive had to remove a chip at a time. Its been a real pain removing the housing.The car is a model 29-41

Your situation is all too common with respect to the speedometer housing. These were originally made of pot metal which has the unfortunate tendency to swell with age and thus make removal almost impossible without destroying the housing. The survival rate of these is near 0% when removed. The speedometer housing in my 1930 model 68 is stuck as well, however it is still working fine so I have left it alone.

This may be the source that you are already aware of for the housing: Trans.Speedometer Cable Housing 1929-32 SCC-292

Thanks,

Any machine shop should be able to turn up a new one out of billet.

I made my own out of aluminium.

You made your own gears or housing? The housing is the easy part.I going to the the gear that turns the cable.At the moment Im having a difficult time removing the u joint from the output shaft. Im trying to be careful and not damage any parts.Any ideas anyone?

You made your own gears or housing? The housing is the easy part.I going to the the gear that turns the cable.At the moment Im having a difficult time removing the u joint from the output shaft. Im trying to be careful and not damage any parts.Any ideas anyone?

Not sure how far along you are in the process, but you will have to drop the rear end from the car and slide the entire assembly along with the torque tube to the rear in order to accomplish that.

• 4 years later...

Hello all,

If anyone is interested in replacing their speedometer cdble, I cast the lower housing in bronze and also replace the cable housing. I do have a couple of the gears with different numbered teeth but I don't have many so reusing yours would be better. 

I also make in bronze all the parts for the closed car windscreen lifting mechanism. I've been making door handles and the lower throttle gears for Cadillac's and most all of the pot metal parts for1927-1931 Cadillac's. I'd like to expand into Buicks also.

If any one is interested in replacing their old pot metal parts for new bronze parts, please contact me.

Thanks!

Wayne Elsworth

yachtflame@yahoo.com

340-998-5199

• Like 1

• 1 month later...