Cameron Cars: Seeking Info

tom82baur

I recently discovered that Cameron Cars were built for a time in my hometown, New London CT about 100 years ago. I was quite surprised to learn that my local historical society has no information on this fact.

I am therefore seeking any information on Cameron Cars, particularly anything related to the manufacturing of Camerons in Connecticut. I have obtained a copy of William T. Cameron's wonderful book,THE CAMERON STORY, as well as a number of print advertisements and various magazine articles so far. I am eager to gather as much info as I can, and I hope to present my findings to the Historical Society in the next few months.

I would gladly give proper credit to anyone who can contribute info on this. I believe that it is a story that needs to be told.

Some sources indicate that there were only 100 Camerons built in New London, and they were all six cylinders between 1907 and 1912, roughly. Indications are that both the Touring model and the Runabout were built there, again, all with Sixes.

My question, of course, is..... if that number is accurate (which I haven't been able to definitely confirm yet) ... are there any survivors out there. I believe Roland D., of the Hershey Region, has a 1908 Cameron Touring Six. (Per THE CAMERON STORY.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by tom82baur (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Curious that I find this forum on the same day that you post an inquiry about an obscure brand like the Cameron.I don't know what I can contribute to your knowledge that isn't in Bill Cameron's book,but I'd like to say that my father,Eugene Quinn is mentioned in the book,our family contributed a large amount of the info included in the book,as my parents knew Everett Cameron back in the early 1950's,and I was named after the car.My name is Cameron Quinn. As far as I know,our 1911 Cameron is now in a collection in Holland.

• Like 1

Curious that I find this forum on the same day that you post an inquiry about an obscure brand like the Cameron.I don't know what I can contribute to your knowledge that isn't in Bill Cameron's book,but I'd like to say that my father,Eugene Quinn is mentioned in the book,our family contributed a large amount of the info included in the book,as my parents knew Everett Cameron back in the early 1950's,and I was named after the car.My name is Cameron Quinn. As far as I know,our 1911 Cameron is now in a collection in Holland.

This has truly been a remarkable coincidence. But... it doesn't end there. I read over your post this evening, and then I looked up your name in Mr. Cameron's book. Sure enough your family is mentioned and credited a number of times, including a pic of your dad in his Cameron. It also mentions the fact of how you received your first name! Your family provided lots of fascinating material to the book.

As I am sitting there reading this info about you and your family, my cell phone rings. Roland Dunkelberger (mentioned in my original post) is returning my call! I can hardly believe it! A very nice gentleman, and we agreed to start a correspondence. He bought one of his camerons (the one pictured in the book) from your dad!

What a small world! Amazing.

He no longer owns either of the two Camerons he once had, so I hope to correspond with him to try to track them down. If I understood him correctly, one of them is out in the American Southwest, perhaps New Mexico.

I would also like to contact you, if it is ok with you. I do think you may have some info that would be helpful. My goal is to find a Cameron that was built in New London, CT, if such a car exists out there. After hearing from you today, and after my conversation with Mr. Dunkelberger this evening, I am cautiously optimistic about that. The car that your dad sold to him, a 1911 Cameron Flyer Roadster, was in all likelihood a Six. Can you confirm this? If so, then it was almost definitely built in New London!

Here is my email: tom82baur@gmail.com

I would very much like to pursue this conversation with you. Thank you so much for responding today. Amazing coincidence! I hope that you are receptive to my request, and I look forward to hearing from you.

BTW, I also write a car blog dedicated to finding another rare (but much newer) car: the BMW Baur. It is a rare, limited edition and very unusual top cabriolet style built in limited numbers 1976-83. I was originally told that there might be a total of 25-30 in the US (they were not officially imported by BMW), but through the efforts of the blog, and a lot of help from Baur-spotters all over the country, we have now located and identified 85 examples.

I only say this to let you know that I have done some gumshoe work over the past couple of years to find those Baurs, and I am 'gung ho' to do some more in pursuit of these Camerons!

Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead! :)

Here is a link to my blog, which I have been somewhat distracted from lately because of this new info about the Cameron!

Baurspotting

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,Our car was definitely a four cylinder.I've always known this to be the case,not to mention that I still have the crankshaft pattern made on request of ES Cameron,when the crankshaft broke way back when.I would be inclined to think that our car was made in Beverly,Mass,since,if you do a search for "1911 Cameron", an old ad will come up showing that address.Mr Dunkelberger will probably tell you that our car went to a Mr. Arnold in Carlisle,Pa.(once upon a time,I had an op to buy it back,but it wasn't quite my car interest,plus my mother stated,"That she had enough of it the first time around",and it would been a chore to truck it back to NY.) A little more research,after I responded to your note,produced this website powerful-cars.com,where I found a 1911 in Europe,which I strongly suspect is my dad's car,though in a new color scheme.

Edited by Camster1952 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest T-Head

CI.jpg

We have a number of very interesting Cameron photos from the collection of Mark Johnson, from the Klingberg Family Center which hosts the annual Klingberg car show in New Britian, Ct. as a benefit event on Fathers Day weekend. Stop by The Old Motor to see more photos and to find a link to the show.

• 10 years later...