'13 t speedster

playswithbrass

Guest QGolden

Sharp car. I like the way you have mounted the front fenders. One of the challenges with cycle fenders is to mount them while hiding the brackets to the best of your ability resulting in clean lines. But you have gone against convention and incorporated the mounting into your overall look. Brilliant. Sort of a "Steampunk" look my kids would say. There is a lot of "Steampunk" that fits vintage speedsters in exposed rivets, mounting brackets etc. Are you going to install rear fenders?

Question about the wrappings on the front leafs? Does it serve a function or is it purely visual?

-Q

I was told by the old timers that wrapping the springs tighten up the ride.I did it just for looks.

Don't think I'll put on rear fenders the front are just for saftey from flying stones.

Still trying to come up with an idea for a windshield.Any ideas? Don't like the monocle type,leaves the passager with out protection

Guest QGolden

As light as it is, I would not think you would need to tighten up the ride. A lot of folks take out a spring or two to soften it.

But, whtbaron is right on for a good looking windshield. The T Parts always look at home on a T Speedster. But the decision is all about what you want to spend.

You could probably drop a ready made windshield from Rootlieb right on the cowl.

I have see some nice windshields with a homemade frame made by slitting a piece of 1 inch Black Iron Gas Pipe, installing the glass with the Black Silicone they use to mount windshield glass today.

I got a sample of a rubber windshield mount gasket that fits into 1 inch tube if I make mine. I got it from a house that sells tube kits to Dune Buggy Builders, I can look up their name if you want. That method looks easy, cut and form the tube to the desired shape, leaving the top removable, insert the rubber, lubricate the rubber with talc, slide in the glass from the top, afix the top trapping the glass.

If the bend across the bottom of the cowl is an issue for fabrication with the tools you have at hand, I have seen some done where the bottom track is wood, easy to trace and cut along the cowel line for the bottom cut, leave the top flat and slot it so the bottom of the glass sits in the wood in the slot, and the pipe frame sides mounted to the wood and down to the cowel.

I have also seen small window glass from Wing Windows mounted so the driver and passenger each have their own windshield. Those are nice because you can mount them in a bit of a V and tipped back. I am sure that you would like to engineer in aerodynamics where you can!:rolleyes:

Stop by a windshield shop and talk to them, perhaps an existing windshield out of a 40's Jeep (which would be small, and flat) might be a stock item for their supplier, hence it could be inexpensive. Merge the look you want with the budget you have, and don't look back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Just thought I would give a update.Speedster has been off the road for 5 years,bought a 06 Cadillac and took the speedster apart to fit in the family room due to storage space,however we moved to larger space and the speedster is going back together.Just waiting for some AC brakes to arrive that have been ordered. Cheers pete

image.jpeg

image.jpeg