Lost husband to cancer, need to sell 1949 Buick project.

Guest YELO4T9

Guest YELO4T9

I think I posted this here ages ago, but this time I have pictures. I lost my husband to cancer in Nov 2011, and I need to get rid of his 1949 Buick Sedanette. It's in a zillion pieces in the garage and throughout the yard, I have no clue what it's worth, and it's going to be a job to get it all out of here... once someone can figure out what's Buick and what's Unimog. (Have one of those too, but only the two engines are in pieces.) Duke did a lot of work on the frame and got it back under the body, but everything else is, well, everywhere. I have all the glass, including a new 2-piece windshield, and I'm pretty sure all the stainless trim is here somewhere. I know we spent some $$ to send it out for restoration, and it took a couple years to get it back. I don't have the original engine, but do have (in pieces) a much newer Buick engine, from somewhere in the tuna boat era. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I am located in Tehachapi, CA, about 45 minutes up the hill from Bakersfield. Many thanks, Joyce

<!-- / message -->

I think if you can post some pictures the knowledgeable Buick guys on the forum will give you a ball park value. If you have a price range posting on the forum a for sale ad may find you a buyer in the easiest fashion. Generally, a car in pieces is the hardest to sell because the buyer never really knows what is missing. To maximize the price you probably should do an eBay ad with a lots pictures of exactly what they will get (regardless of if you think it goes with the car) and a description to the best of your ability. Good luck and sorry for the loss of your husband.

Whoa, that was a nice looking 49 Super Sedanette. It appears it was being modified for a engine transplant. It is unknown what that will do to the value in the current stage of completion.

Here's my suggestion: There are several chapters of the Buick Club of America in California. Look here BCA - Regions to see if one is close to you and contact them. Maybe they will have a few folks who would volunteer to come out and sort through the piles of stuff and determine what you have for the Buick and the unimog and then maybe you can post pictures of just what you have and thereby get the best price possible for both units.

Guest Rob McDonald

LESSON LEARNED, guys. If you have any fondness at all for your potential survivors, DO NOT take your car apart before you plan to be stricken by a fatal illness. It's just really bad manners.

There was some really nice work done to what was a lovely restored or original Buick. Even the stuff that frankly butchered the car looks to have been done with care and good craftsmanship. But without the road map that probably existed only in Duke's imagination, it would be very tough to complete the work that he started. It's likely that Joyce can only sell this as a collection of parts and only to someone who either needs those parts or is well-enough connected to re-sell them for a bit of a profit.

JOYCE, I credit you for trying to give this mess a good home and for keeping a sense of humour about it (her photo captions on the H.A.M.B. site are worth noting). Best of luck.

Why, oh why did he even start? Such a lovely car...

post-59990-143141813006_thumb.jpg

post-59990-14314181301_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813012_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813014_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813016_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813019_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813021_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141813023_thumb.jpg

LESSON LEARNED, guys. If you have any fondness at all for your potential survivors, DO NOT take your car apart before you plan to be stricken by a fatal illness. It's just really bad manners.

Good Point. Even though I'm 51 and in seemingly good health, I can't help but think of what a mess it would be for my wife if something unexpected happened and she had to disposition my current project not to mention the huge loss in value. I probably worry about things too much but it makes me nervous having my car in pieces longer than I had planned on.

Hopefully Joyce will find a good home for the car & parts.

• 1 month later...
Guest che

Hi Joyce i just read your post and i am sorry to hear about your husband.I may be interested in both the Buick and the Unimog if they are still available. I live in bakersfield and am in Tehachapi a couple times a week and could stop by when in town if that would work for you. Thanks,norman