1941 Buick Special newbee

Guest 41buickrestorod

Guest 41buickrestorod

post-92189-143141811053_thumb.jpg

Hey Everyone,

I just bought the car a couple weeks ago, but want to get started. I gutted the car already to get a better idea of what needs to be done. The biggest problem is the floor pans and rocker panels. All in all the car is in great shape. Anyone have any tips, tricks or ideas? I can do most everything else myself, but welding is definitely not in my resume.

Welcome to the forum

Better to ask Buick - Pre War or Buick - Performance/Modified or Team Buick (has more folk interested in modifying Buick's)

By your screen name guess are going to hot rod it. This forum is more to do with full restoration, but guys with modified cars do participate.

Looks a good car and 2 door. If it has the original straight 8, does it have dual carburetors? (an option in 1941 for specials). Many cars rust in the same place, so you need to get friendly with a good welder. No other way:- just pay the $$$

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

There are plenty of parts available for 41 Buicks. Floor pans are alot easier to find. I have even seen them available on ebay. My first purchase would be the book by Bill Anderson called "Restoration Facts, 1941 Buick". It is a great book to give you an idea on 41 Buicks. Also, there is many parts providers for Buicks including CARS and Bob's Automobilia. Good luck with your project. They are great driving cars and not too difficult to keep running well.

Guest 41buickrestorod

Thanks guys. I'm not really going to rod it out. I plan to blend original with a bit of rod. All the styles are great in thier own way. The only mods will be suspension, front brakes, paint and an interior. Almost everything else will remain original to the best of my ability. The lines are too nice already to chop it up.

The car does have the dual carbs. Boy does she sound nice. I plan on taking the engine apart and cleaning it all up.

I bought the shop manual and it is very good. It reads like the military manuals I deal with. I'll definitely check out that other book.

Thanks again!

If you intend to make is a driver, one of the best changes is to fit a higher ratio diff (~3.6 - 3.9) from late 40's to 1955 dynaflow Buick. Your ratio is probably about 4.4 now