1913-1915 Oakland Engine Identification

Tom Laferriere

There should be a casting date on the engine block. I have a examples of both 1913 and 1915 engines but they are in storage and not readily accessible to photograph at the moment. I agree that with the side shift transmission it is more likely 1913. Those four cylinder Oaklands retained right hand drive through to 1914. The 1915 chassis is completely different - in particular much lighter - to the earlier models. I have a part of a chassis many years ago but it went to someone who was going to reconstruct a replica of a car that competed at Pikes Peak in 1918-ish (?) that used one of those chassis with - I think - a Curtiss V8 aero engine.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Tom,

I sent you an email with some contact information per the Oakland Owners Club International (O.O.C.I.)

I know this car - (and I know who used to own it), though I have not seen it in the metal. As far as I know it was a 1915 model but was modified to look like an earlier speedster. The giveaway is the radiator. I always thought it an odd thing to do because Oakland actually did a speedster version of the 1915 Model 37. Flickriver: Photoset 'Oakland' by carphoto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Wayne_Koffel

Tom, I believe we talked a few weeks ago. As I told you then it is a 1915 and the gentleman who told you he knows the car, is probably correct that it was made to look older. The car was here at my garage when the previous owner tried to sell it and myself and three other OOCI club members looked it over , showed the owners how to run it correctly, told them what was wrong with the car, explained what was the probable history of the car, and gave them our overall assessment of the value. It is what it is. It was an export car that was bodied in either Australia or New Zealand.