Prewar Again! 1934 Packard

TexRiv_63

Once again I have jumped with both feet into the deep prewar end of the pool. My latest acquisition is a 1934 Packard Eight, Model 1100 4-door sedan. It is a very original car with extensive documentation and I am the fifth owner from new. The 34 Packard has always been a "Grail Car" on my list because it was one of my father's favorite cars. He could never afford to be in the hobby but we would go to car shows and he always stopped to drool at the 30 - 35 Packards. I will start a thread in "Our Cars and Restorations" and share my work as I clean it up and hopefully drive it extensively unlike my previous prewar experiences. This seems like a natural for HPOF so I will have many questions on preservation versus refurbishment.

I bought the car from Vintage Motor Cars in Ohio and I need to thank Matt Harwood for all his help. I hemmed and hawed on this for almost a month and he answered a million questions, sent me many photos, a video, and even put me in touch with David Schultz to inspect the car. The result is a car with no visual surprises and an undercarriage in even better shape than expected, a definite rarety in my recent experience... Thanks Matt!

post-51036-143141808786_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808793_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808799_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808805_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808812_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808818_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808824_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808831_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143141808837_thumb.jpg

Congrats Don. 1934 was one of Packard's best years, IMHO, and it is nice to see this special car go to one of our forum veterans. No doubt you are aware of the PAC (PAckard Club) website as well as Packardinfo.com. Dave Czirr is someone to get to know, he is most active on the PAC site, has the same car and will no doubt be happy to share his extensive knowledge on these models with you.

Best of luck with it!

As many others did, noticed this car that Matt had for sale, that's a very nice Packard and glad it went to a great home! 1933-34 were great years in styling for just about all cars, and Packard in particular...

Congratulations, great looking car! It must be a low mile car, the interior looks great.

Now the hard question, leave it original or do the restoration? Personally I like original, but it is hard to take a back seat to the restored cars if there is not a preservation class. I have a completely original 1929 Graham-Paige 827 in about the same condition as yours, looks like the same color? Town Car Blue?

Thanks for the update, Don! I'm thrilled that you're happy with the car, and you were truly a pleasure to work with--I actually enjoyed making that video quite a bit, although my skills are haphazard at best. As I said several times during our conversations, this is one car that I would have owned myself had I not purchased my '29 Cadillac a few years ago. While I tend to fall in love frequently with cars that come through the shop, this one was special.

I'll look forward to updates. Happy motoring!

Thanks for all your comments. I have just sent an application to the PAC and have already made the aquaintance of Dave Czirr, who has already been of great help. It is the smallest Packard made in 34 with a 129" wheelbase, fits very nicely in my garage. The tires on it are Dayton truck tires of unknown vintage but in good shape so they will stay for awhile. I'm working on replacing the incorrect oil filter with a correct repro of the original full flow design after which I will drive it more and keep all posted.

Guest BillP

Looks like it went to a great home, Don. I know you'll enjoy it as much or more than I. Looking forward to your updates. By the way, from the seller's perspective, I am very pleased with Matt's professional, knowledgeable and decent conduct. A true gentleman.