'65 Riviera AM/FM bench test?

jpilk99

Hi All,

I have a decent amount of parts I'm selling from my multiple '65 Rivieras and someone is interested in the AM/FM radio I have. I no longer own the actual car, (my dearly beloved Gran Sport), so I can't just go plug it in.

Anyone know how to bench test this so I know if I have a working unit? I do see the 3-prong “connector” in the back of the radio. I believe I saw something that said a Yellow wire was one of the three wires to plug into it and it was power. The other two were the pos and neg for the speaker.

Only question, and I can’t find it in my Service Manual: which of the 3 prongs is the power and how do I ground it? Do I just wire a ground strap to the body of the radio?

Thanks all,

Jay

Thanks Jason. I'm mostly interested to see if the thing turns on when I connect power to it, but, am unsure which of the 3-prongs in the back is for power.

I believe, as you look at the back of the radio, that the power "prong" is the one to the far right, (the other two have a different wiring connection...), however, when I grounded the housing to my 2008 Honda and then connected power to that prong ...it sparked like a sunofagun. I hope I didn't cook the radio - seems like there's a bad connection somewhere, and I didn't see the radio's light come on...

It kinda sucks to know enough to be dangerous. This is dangerous!!!

Jay

Thanks Jason. I'm mostly interested to see if the thing turns on when I connect power to it, but, am unsure which of the 3-prongs in the back is for power.

I believe, as you look at the back of the radio, that the power "prong" is the one to the far right, (the other two have a different wiring connection...), however, when I grounded the housing to my 2008 Honda and then connected power to that prong ...it sparked like a sunofagun. I hope I didn't cook the radio - seems like there's a bad connection somewhere, and I didn't see the radio's light come on...

It kinda sucks to know enough to be dangerous. This is dangerous!!!

Jay

I don't have the wiring info a 65 so hopefully someone else will chime in. If you prove the radio plays you can get alot more money for it. Otherwise a buyer must assume it will need serviced and thats usually $150-$200 if sending it out to a shop.

Hi Jay,

First, are you sure you have a `65 AM-FM? If you are not sure there should be a small sticker with a model number on it. Reason I am asking is because the `63, `64 and `65 have their plugs in different locations on the radio case. If your three male terminals are located at the left rear upper corner of the case they are arranged as follows:

First terminal closest to the heat sink and farthest to the left looking at the top of the case is the ground wire for the speaker (black)

Second or middle terminal is the power to the speaker (green)

Farthest terminal from the heat sink and closest to the middle of the case is for 12 volts.

As Jason has suggested best to use an 8 or 10 ohm speaker so you can turn up the volume but just to check operation at a low volume momentarily any speaker will do (dont turn up the volume if you are using a 4 ohm speaker or you risk blowing what`s left of the amp) You will also need an antenna to get decent reception.

My experience with the early AM-FM radios is even if they play they need work. Most common problems are the signal fading in and out as you drive (sounds like an antenna problem but I have been down this road more than once and was told by several radio repair persons that problem is old transistors) and losing the volume after appreciable playing time.

Good luck!

Tom Mooney

• 5 months later...