lost a young friend

mastertech

lost a very good young friend on monday he was one of the marines killed in nevada. Josh was just 20 years old, work with both him and his step dad at the garage where i also work. He also just got engage befor he went to basic traning in july of this year. All he ever talked about was joining the service. THANK YOU post-2856-0-11059600-1363817874.jpgMY FRIEND FOR YOU SERVICE and may you rest in peace, Josh Martino

Mastertech,

Sorry for your loss. I am about an hour away from Camp Lejeune. My Police Pipe and Drum band plays way too many Marine Corps funerals. We have not heard yet if any of these Marines are from this part of the country.

So sad to hear that somebody dear to you is gone. It's my understanding that it was a training accident involving a new design mortar. They are cancelling it now. These heroes aren't counted on the war casualty list but they should be. They're just as dead and their loved ones are in just as much grief.

Dave, you are 110% right. As our military is all volunteer, this young man took the same risk as our heroes who die oversees protecting us.

Mastertech, so sorry for your friend and his family and loved ones. We lost two more young men in the last two weeks here in CT and personally I am finding this more upsetting over time as our whole effort in the Middle East drags on.

Melvin, sorry to hear that. I read the WRAL coverage this morning but when it's either someone you know personally, or you know someone who had ties to these guys, it makes it much harder to take.

Matt, a boy from Hickory was among the Nevada casualties. LCpl Mason VanDerwork, 21 y.o.

I too have several young friends in the military and I worry about them. They're at an age they think they're invincible, but you never know when your time will come. I still feel sometimes that their lives are squandered in a war that really never should have happened, but to the one they will tell me they feel they're doing the right thing serving in the ME.

I am very proud of him he has been in the army reserves since 1997 (why he never went full time is beyond me) he will do anything they ask of him when ever and where ever, he has been over most of this country running for the army . he has been to the gulf for 2 tours both times right in the bad of it. and never once did I here him complain.

His first tour his group which he was in charge of drove over 1 million miles with no one hurt. last tour he was in charge of an airport somewhere around bagdad supporting the rangers.

Guest PhippsAuto

So sorry for the loss of your young friend. Condolences to his fiancee and family members; so hard to lose a fine young man at such a young age.

Guest namvetschrysler

I was Saddened to hear this heart breaking news, so many young lives lost, my Condolences to their Family and Friends.

George

Perth Aus

Very sad to hear of the loss of these outstanding young men.

There were local news stories here in CT about another one of the marines who lost his life in that Nevada incident.

He was I believe from Westport, and attended Eastern CT State University, where he decided to suspend his college education and enlist. One of his college coaches from the sport in which he participated (might've been lacrosse--I don't remember for sure) when interviewed for the news had such glowing things to say about what type of person he was: highly motivated, contagiously enthusiastic, made all his teammates better.

An unbelievable loss, and my sympathies go out to all the families and friends.

[TABLE]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TD=align: center]Yesterday there was a huge community turnout for the funeral and procession for Lance Corporal Joshua Martino who died in a military training mission in Nevada, last week. Thank you to all that came out to show respect for this young man who left us way too soon. Continued thoughts and prayers for the family.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

32912.jpg

Its people like your friend who really are the true heroes; not the sports 'stars', musicians or Hollyweird celebrities or worse those famous for being famous.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

It is a sad state,that we can cover the expenses ,of lifelong welfare recips,and can not help our heros,before ,during ,and after.God bless Josh and his family.Thank you for posting this.

I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it. Of the 10s of millions of persons receiving assistance from our government, I just can never grasp that reality.

Nothing against the 911 victims for sure, but I have never understood why they received/receive so much more than our armed force victims?

Dale in Indy

Again, another instance where our government has their heads absolutely screwed!!!

Sort of along that same line, just this week we were discussing the horrendous delays - up to 18 months is not uncommon for disabled or injured vets to receive assistance. At the same time it seems immigrants, legal or not, seem to know right where to go with both hands out - services provided pretty darn quick. The current head of VA services is an out and out bureaucrat; more concerned with the process then end results. It seems his goals is to create more paperwork and a name for himself instead of taking care of our guys and gals who put their lives on the line.

Rant over, but it gets me upset to hear about the hypocrisy of how poorly our vets get treated compared to many able bodied persons who won't bother to life a hand to help themselves.