1957 Buick Roadmaster - gearbox needed

Guest Christopher - Cyprus

Dear Sir,

<o:p> </o:p>

I am writing to you from the island of Cyprus Near Greece.

I am trying to help a friend who has a 1957 Buick Roadmaster chassis no. 7d4002778 .. see photos ... have tried without success !!

He needs a complete dynaflow gearbox.

I would very much appreciate your help or point me to the right direction.

Kind regards,

Christopher

Christopher,

Does he need a Dynaflow Transmission, or a gearbox for the steering unit. The people on this forum are very helpful. Please post some photos. There were none on your orignal post. Thanks.

Guest Rob McDonald

CHRISTOPHER, I have a Dynaflow automatic transmission that was removed from a '57 Roadmaster about 30 years ago. The car was driven to the place where it was dismantled and the transmission worked fine at the time. Your friend can have this lump for $200 (Canadian and US dollars are practically the same right now). Shipping is a huge challenge but there is a Canadian Armed Forces base near me. If your friend has close contacts with Canadian peacekeepers stationed in Cyprus, they might be able to help with transport. I would not get involved, other than to deliver the uncrated transmission to a local address.

I recently had an identical Dynaflow rebuilt at a shop here. I am willing to take my spare transmission there, to have them inspect and overhaul it, at you friend's expense. Again, other than dropping it off, I wouldn't get involved in approvals, payment, or any guarantee for the work performed. Based on my experience, I'd expect a bill of between $2000 and $2500 to have a Dynaflow thoroughly repaired.

Please send me a Private Message through this Forum, if your friend is interested.

• 1 month later...

Rob,

Many - many thanks for your kind reply about your gearbox and I do appologise for the delay in coming back to you.

Spoke to the local person I am trying to help here in Cyprus .. he is interested to buy at your price of 200 dollars.

He has asked me to find him a solution for the shipping.

So I was thinking ..

Is there a shipping company near you to drop the gearbox as is, after we pay you ?

If yes perhaps I can check with them myself if the can do the packing before shiopping to Cyprus.

Could you advise on this Rob please as is an important point ?

Military will not ship anything from a third person so the use of the canadian base is not an option.

Especially with all the security issue around !

Looking forward tot your reply and this time will be quick .. I promise !!

Rgds,

Christopher

Guest Rob McDonald

CHRISTOPHER, sorry, I may have bad news - my spare Dynaflow might have been scrapped. The lease on the shop, where I had it stored for many years, ran out last year. The friend who was keeping it for me had to relocate all of his cars and spare parts to another building, on short notice. My transmission may not have been included in the move. I am trying to get in contact with my friend and will let you know.

Bob,

Many thanks .. please see if you can recover your gearbox .. my friend Polys will be very happy as he has the car ready minus the gearbox !

Assuming that you have success .. can you put me in touch with a local shipper that I can negotiate directly packing and shipping ?

Looking forward to you answer.

Rgds,

Christopher - Island of Cyprus

PS. I have tried to attach an article + photos of who I am and what I do but could not do it !

Guest Rob McDonald

CHRISTOPHER, I'll keep trying to find my old Dynaflow and hope I can make it available to you.

If not, I do have a lead on two '57 Buick Centuries, both of which have exactly the same type of Dynaflow transmission as your friend's car should have. One of the cars is irreparably rusted and, if I buy both of them, I'd be parting out that one. Thirty years ago, the rusty car was driven into the boggy spot where it still sits. The transmission is therefore probably in good restorable condition, just like the lost one out of the Roadmaster that I scrapped.

Send me a Private Message and I'll give you my email address, so you tell me more about yourself. I can then share it here on the Forum, if you want.

(To do that, click on my name above my postage stamp avatar and pick Private Message. You can't include attachments in your note to me but you can email them to me later.)

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Bob hi ahain !

Pls sent me a message on my private e-mail 247incyprus@gmail.com

I have a littkle sory to sent you about what we do here ... we have created a little America 12,000 miles away on a small island near Greece.

I have difficulties attaching files on the forum system.

I could also try to skype with you or if you have an iphone we can talk free.

Many thanks for your efforts to help us !

God Bless.

Christopher

Guest Rob McDonald

CHRISTOPHER, bad news. As I feared, my old Dynaflow and some other Buick and MG parts were scrapped, when my friend had to relocate his car collection. I am considering making an offer on those two Centurys and will let you know how that goes. I've replied to your email and am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Rob I am trying to attach the photos of the our 1957 buick .. last time I was not succesful.

Have tried a few times to attach .. but no lack .. pls sent me your private e-mail so I can attach there.

Rgds,

Christopher

247incyprus@gmail.com

Guest Rob McDonald

CHRISTOPHER, thanks for sharing these photos of this awesome '57 Roadmaster 76R. Lovin' that flamed and scalloped paint job! I hope to help you find a Dynaflow, to get this beauty back on the roads of Cyprus.

post-59990-143141888107_thumb.jpg

Christopher:

You might try Frank Lyle in Colorado Springs, CO. Email: my58buick@msn.com or phone 719 659 9308. He has several '57/58 parts cars. Also check the Performance/Modified forum on this web site and PM Dan with the post on the '57 Buick Super Build. He is/was parting a 57 Super or Roadmaster.

Gary

Guest Rob McDonald

Good advice. Waiting for me to take action is like waiting for glaciers to melt. There are plenty of identical Dynaflows out there, which you can probably get shipped to you immediately. They may not be available for $200 but the cost of getting one to Cyprus will probably be far more. That won't vary much, no matter from where in North America it originates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob !

I am glad you likle the photos.

Lots of people on our Island see me driving Model Ts every day around town and they think I can help them with any type of spare parts !!

Which is notm true but I always try !! .. and I never charge as this is a hobby and a pleasure for me .. you know what I mean !!

My thanks to you all nice guys who so kindly try to help .. I have many wonderful friends in the STATES .. just added your name too !

Will try the advise from Gary for Frank Lyle in Colorado Springs .. and many thanks to you Gary !

Kind Regards,

Christopher

Dear Garry,.

Many thanks for the lead provided to contact ... Frank Lyle in Colorado Springs.

Is so nice to have people like you and many others in the States .. myself being on an island 10,000 miles away !!

Most of my spare parts reserch is to help other people in our local clubs.

Will send Frank an e-mail right now.

Keep well ..

Christopher

Island of Cyprus

Near Greece.

• 7 months later...
Guest Buck rodmaster

Hi I was the owner of the 57 Buick for many years the photos that you posted are of

when I owned it does your friend wish to sell the car back to me thanks.