Universal Joint - 1934 Nash 1290 Ambassador 8

GE Dictator 1928

A longshot, but Mercedes uses flex joints in 6 and 8 bolt that I have seen.

Hopefully this link works to a ebay one ..

Mercedes 2003 Flex Disc Kit Guibo Coupler Universal U Joint W204 W209 W211 | eBay

If you were super lucky, maybe the bolt circle diameter would be close. If it was, you would only use 4 of the 8 holes. It looks like they used 4 "pairs of holes" to mount it. In other words, each flex point is 2 holes apart, so you'd only use one bolt per segment, instead of 2 bolts like the Mercedes did.

But, the bolt circle needs to be close...and I don't see a measurement listed.

Hi West,

I did look at Steel Rubber and didn't find anything off hand, but will look again. Yes, I am also looking for what would end up being the grommet inserts and somehow vulcanizing them into to the metal plate. I am looking at all possible solutions right now and if we come up with something I will post it accordingly.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions! Much appreciated!

Keith Gramlich

Hi Nickelroadster!

I took your advise and emailed them. Looks like a great place! Unfortunately, they said they had never seen anything like this as well. I have corresponded with a gentleman in Holland, who gave us a potential solution involving a urethane bushing and potentially utilizing windsheild glue to "vulcanize" it to the metal, since he has done a similar thing on his car, which is the same as my Dad's. We will see what we can do.

Thank you for your response and suggestion!

Keith Gramlich

You can find all kind of sizes of urethane bushing for use in suspensions. I would also contact technical support people at places like Dupont and PPG and I would specifically ask for a two part urethane product. Some urethane windshield bonders are very strong as they are actually used as a structural part of the car. I would be a little concerned here though as a universal joint requires a whole lot of strength. Have you contacted any other Nash owners to see what they did? Keep us posted as unusual fixes are always interesting because some of us never know when we may need one.