Briscoe 1919 4-24

RonPB

Greetings all

I am the 'new kid on the block' I have recently aquired a 1919 Briscoe 4 -24. Reqire various parts such as a distibutor, have remains of a 'tele&elec mod 16 meriden conn.' possibly replaceable by an Autolite mod 16.

I would appreciate any info and will then move on to other things such as a carb. Am situated in the U.K. email ronpbowden@yahoo.co.uk.

Cheers for now Ron

Welcome Aboard. The Briscoe is not all that common even over here. I never worked on one so I am afraid I would not be much help. How about some photos. Someone on here may know something. Dandy Dave!

Your post would probably receive more helpful replies if posted in the Maxwell forum below; Benj Briscoe was involved with the Maxwell before building the Briscoe and all, and there is a Maxwell club and a Maxwell-Briscoe owners group...

Std Cat says Briscoe built own engines (possible, but I'd guess he contracted with established engine builders) and would've almost certainly used vendor ign, carbs etc...it did say that in 1916 he introduced an air cooled 4 cyl of 24 HP, and Std cat lists the 1919 Model B 4-24 as 24HP, that he offered small communities assembly rights to assemble his kits (Briscoe engines, almost certainly with US ign, carb etc), so if you car wasn't imported it may've been assembled there, locally...

If nothing helpful shows up here or the Maxwell forum (if you post there) try Googling the clubs; as a last resort you'll probably have to Google up the antique ign and carb dealers to see what they have.

If you do have the air cooled four, Std Cat says it was allegedly "created" in France by Briscoe and various engineers; here, again, if true, I'd guess it was an existing French design or a modification, and if so parts from the original French engine, if available, might work in yours. Good luck.

Thanks for that Aaron - already a great help. Im teaching today but will spend more time and perhaps be of help to others in the forum with vehcles over here in the U.K. - parts, vetting etc. VBW - Ron

Guest Aaron M.

So to what degree is your Briscoe complete? I seem to recall one being for sale by auction recently. Would that be the one you've bought?

Hi Dave

Really could do with replacement points, distributor cap and preferably rotor arm for Tele Elec mod 16 1200 - F ignitor or replacement Auto lite or Delco. will then need to sort out a decent carb Buick or Carter or find vital dome nut directly under float chamber of this unknown orphan brass updraft (NO NAME). Then need nearside contracting rear brake shoe with adjuster. My field of ameteur expertise encompasses pre war Bentley , Royce and post war Bentley, MGB and Morris Minor etc.( If I can be of help - parts etc.)

VBW Ron

Hi Aaron

Just checking you got my reply - yes this is the one that didnt sell because it appeared very incomplete but I had spotted the pile of parts hidden away and so took the gamble. Still need points , cap and preferably rotor arm for Tele Elec mod 16 1200 - F or equivalent distributor.Will have to find or make nearside contracting brake shoe and adjuster.

VBW -Ron

• 2 weeks later...

post-80263-143141835731_thumb.jpgi have a 1918 briscoe 4-24

i have to restart doing my car after a fire . i would like to see some pics if you can .

i had to get a speedo cable then i can get it on the road .

i need to repaint the car and things but could be on the road for the summer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Aaron M.

Hi zzzzzzz,

Apologies for the delay in replying, work's been taking up more of my time than I'd like it to.

A fire?! I'm very sorry to hear that - that's terrible news. I hope it wasn't too big. Was it at your home?

If I've succeeded there should be attached to this message a picture of my car. As you can see there's still a lot to do yet, but it's well under way.

I've also attached a photo of what I think is a Briscoe clutch assembly belonging to a later model than mine. It was passed on to me by a local club member. I was wondering if it looked familiar to you.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Regards,

Aaron M.

post-91910-143141908585_thumb.jpg

post-91910-143141908588_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I like your car .

What parts are you looking for ?

Kevin

Hi zzzzzzz,

Apologies for the delay in replying, work's been taking up more of my time than I'd like it to.

A fire?! I'm very sorry to hear that - that's terrible news. I hope it wasn't too big. Was it at your home?

If I've succeeded there should be attached to this message a picture of my car. As you can see there's still a lot to do yet, but it's well under way.

I've also attached a photo of what I think is a Briscoe clutch assembly belonging to a later model than mine. It was passed on to me by a local club member. I was wondering if it looked familiar to you.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Regards,

Aaron M.

• 2 weeks later...
I like your car .

What parts are you looking for ?

Kevin

Hi all - hope you got my previous message - been in hospital due to heart job so not much done on Briscoe. Still need replacement dizzy for 'Tele elec' ( For the car not me) since no cap or points found yet and require left side brake band and linkage. Engine seems good with compression and now fit to run. Not intending doing much over Winter but looking forward to Spring.

VBW. - Ron

Guest Aaron M.

Hey,

Good to hear from you again.

In answer to your question, three things that spring to mind are a Mayer carburetor, an Apelco (Apple Electric Company) starter-generator, and a petrol cap for the center of the dash.

Regards,

Aaron

Hi Aaron and Bill,

Thanks for info. The Mayer carburetor sounds interesting - mine has no name and is missing an apparently unusual nut arrangement under the float chamber. The float is a piece of cork and although it appears to be original, it looks a very small updraught affair .

I will have to get a picture sorted and maybe someone can identify it.

The rear left brake band and linkage is missing and not something I am familiar with.

By the way I have a couple of prewar monsters about my person, a 35 Bentley 3.5 ltr and a 1930 20/25 RR. buried in my garage. I also have an MGBGT and a Morris Minor if anyone requires any assistance with old Brit bits.

I only have sporadic access to email so dont be concerned if I go silent for awhile.

Great to be in contact again

VBW - Ron

• 3 months later...
Hi Aaron and Bill,

Thanks for info. The Mayer carburetor sounds interesting - mine has no name and is missing an apparently unusual nut arrangement under the float chamber. The float is a piece of cork and although it appears to be original, it looks a very small updraught affair .

I will have to get a picture sorted and maybe someone can identify it.

The rear left brake band and linkage is missing and not something I am familiar with.

By the way I have a couple of prewar monsters about my person, a 35 Bentley 3.5 ltr and a 1930 20/25 RR. buried in my garage. I also have an MGBGT and a Morris Minor if anyone requires any assistance with old Brit bits.

I only have sporadic access to email so dont be concerned if I go silent for awhile.

Great to be in contact again

VBW - Ron

i would like to see some photos ,if you can . thank you

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I will be working on my soon . I will see what I have .

Ps your photo clutch looks like mine

Hi

Am just about to try and register the Briscoe with a 1919 number and am in the process of getting as much together as possible. I am still struggling with finding a correct distributer cap for the Telelec type 16 dizzy and am now trying to find a mushroom type valve for the bottom feed to the Mayer ? carb. Then I will need a contracting brake band and linkage for the left side rear brake and any instruments for the dashboard. If you have any items or info on anything I would be very grateful. I am hoping to travel down to our National Motor museum Autojumble at Beaulieu this weekend, but American spares are difficult as you can appreciate. If anyone over Stateside is looking for any Brit bits let me know.

VBW Ron Bowden Mob 07899962866 for texts is good for me or email ronpbowden@yahoo.co.uk

Hi

Am just about to try and register the Briscoe with a 1919 number and am in the process of getting as much together as possible. I am still struggling with finding a correct distributer cap for the Telelec type 16 dizzy and am now trying to find a mushroom type valve for the bottom feed to the Mayer ? carb. Then I will need a contracting brake band and linkage for the left side rear brake and any instruments for the dashboard. If you have any items or info on anything I would be very grateful. I am hoping to travel down to our National Motor museum Autojumble at Beaulieu this weekend, but American spares are difficult as you can appreciate. If anyone over Stateside is looking for any Brit bits let me know.

VBW Ron Bowden Mob 07899962866 for texts is good for me or email ronpbowden@yahoo.co.uk

Can you post photos of

1. Your car , things like your carb and where parts are missing

2. The car you are looking at . If you can on the firewall there are two data tags . But I would be happy with what I get

I'm redoing my wire and paint , I would like to see a head on photo ( my lights are not on yet )

post-92096-14314270549_thumb.jpgTry these - It is a Mayer carb, I have managed to replace the spring in the dizzy and cleaned the points however the rotating brown wheel has distorted oval and does not rotate so will try to restore it to round but obviously could do with replacement points complete. There is model 16 on the rotor arm.

Regs - Ron Bowden

post-92096-143142705476_thumb.jpg

post-92096-14314270548_thumb.jpg

post-92096-143142705483_thumb.jpg

post-92096-143142705486_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hi

Just check out attached pics

Regs Ron B[ATTACH=CONFIG]280752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280754[/ATTACH]

Is this one yours ?

I repainted mine to that set up .

i saw this car on the web when it was getting sold . (About 2 years ago)

i would love to see more photos of it

Hi

Yes I seem to have had problems sending pics. I have had to reduce the pixel size and I don't have Email at home so a quick resume:

Yes this is the 4 24 that was apparently very incomplete but I have obtained quite a few bits and bobs and this Sept acquired the headlights and a dizzy cap which is on loan for the moment still could do with full set of points and I do need a left side Brake band and immediate linkage. There a long list of stuff to get including instruments and linkages to the steering column. The engine is now shaping up and I have good compression . The carb. ( Mayer) is a bit of a mystery to me and I have constructed a mushroom valve in the float chamber and have now to sort out pipe connections to the tank. The leather work is slowly coming back with treatment and the hood hoops are now back on after a lot of rebending. Bear in mind this motor has been in storage for nearly 50 years and I am having a battle with our DVLA to re register the vehicle.

I will be back next week I am usually available on ronpbowden@yahoo.co.uk and text 07899962866 is favourite. will try and send more pics.

Regs Ron Bowden

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know if the 1920 ish Briscoe 4- 24 4 seater body was imported from Oldsmobile after the fire at the Briscoe factory in 1918.

I ask because the Beverly Hillbillies vehicle (I believe 1922 Oldsmobile) looks very similar to the Briscoe.

- Ron