Stuck Cassette Tape

Steve2150

Just picked up my 1990 today with 69000 miles from the original owner, interior and exterior in great shape. There is a cassette tape stuck in the player and want to getvit out so no problems with the radio, any advice. Also the abs comes on occassionally when you press the brake but stops great.

Well you can keep selecting "eject" and hope something happens but this usually is caused by the rubber belts stretching. If no luck, the radio needs to come out and a great opportunity to replace with a am/fm/cd.

ABS sounds like you need a new accumulator. Does it have a white sticker with "Made in Germany" ?

Guest Corvanti

padgett's probably right about pulling the radio/cassette deck - but you might want to try pushing at the top of the plastic cassette deck "cover", and push the eject button with the key on to power the system. may take a couple of times, but you might get lucky. also see if you can hear the "mechanicals" of the deck working. that would seem to indicate the belts are loose/broken...

Got the tape out but the radio still thinks there is a cassette in it, motor keeps turning, any ideas how to shut it down without taking dash apart.
I think I remember someone solving that problem by disconnecting the battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. Might not work but it is worth a try.

Guest llamalor2112

I may have to do that as ours is doing the same. Finally got my beloved foo fighters tape out and now the deck 'clicks' loudly and repeatedly every time the car is turned on/off

Got the tape out piece by piece. Thought maybe a lever I could press with a screw driver to stop it instead ofvremoving it from dash. Afraid of breaking plastics in dash trying to remove. On another thought how do I replace the light in the door thatbshines on the inside door handle release.

• 5 months later...
Guest Dan Gibbs

Hey All :)

Don't be so quick to remove and shelve/toss the cassette player. I've picked up cassette-adapters for cheap and use them to hook up any smart-phone or iPod to the sound system in my daily driver. You can tuck the 3.5mm stereo audio cable neatly out of site if you want and even route the cable in the console to the storage area.

You can put a crap-ton of your favorite songs on there - all in roughly the same size as one cd-case or one cassette-tape case. I plan on doing the same in my 88 and my 89 Reattae. It's a snap to pop your CD in your computer and convert the CD to mp3's, wma windows audio, or even Apple AAC high-quality format files. Use iTunes to import the files onto your iDevice and you won't have to deal with changing CD's, scratches, cases, etcetera.

You will still need to replace the belt in the cassette player if it's having problems, but belts are only a few bucks at most online and chances are most of us have access to a cheap used iPhone or iPod. The cassette adapters are still usually carried at your local Walmart for around 14.99 new.

I'm happy I noticed this thread...I'm having the same issue. The door opens enough to see the cassette, but not enough to pull it out. The teenagers (who aren't as familiar with cassettes) inserted it on the way to South Bend in July. My thought had been that they may have inserted the cassette upside down, but based on what I'm seeing here, it seems to be a more common problem than that.

Yes, after about 20 years the rubber belts get loose and slip. Then the EJECT gears do not turn. Check the Fierostore.com, they used to have the three belt set. Ronnie you might link.

Dave: if you have an adapter pigtail to add an aux plug just let me know how much, I could use several since am converting to tablets.

• 4 years later...

So I now have the above problem where the cassette player thinks there’s one in there while there isn’t. It won’t let me use the radio. But when I put a CD in that works fine.  I just replaced my radio with one from a junk car a few weeks ago. Is there an easy way to make the player work or somewhere where I can buy a whole working radio? ( and maybe trade my two I have) I actually want to use the cassette player if I can. Also which white wire? I remember two white plugs but not a wire.