Running Board Aluminum Edge Molding- ideas?

fozz71

Hey Guys,

I have a driver-quality '28 Vic 6 and need edge molding for my running boards. Has anyone found a more reasonable substitute for the pricier custom made ones? I am just looking for square aluminun edging.

Thanks,

Jim

Try a cabinet shop. They may have varied profiles to search from. There are other running board trim suppliers, but I cannot think of the names. I have seen some guys use aluminum stair edging and it looks great. Try here for a start....http://www.google.com/shopping/product/1492472612272315730?q=aluminum%20stair%20edging&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=712&sa=X&ei=6nZGUbDjL4rlrQGq9oCQAg&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

You can always make some from my drawing.....the first drawing is for the outer trim. The second drawing is for the inner trim. This is the configuration on my 1931 DB. Drawings are not drawn to scale.

post-37352-143141805798_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141805828_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for the drawings- they are very clear and exacting! Much appreciated.

Keep in mind that yours may be just a simple 90 degree bend. I do not have a close up of a 1928 running board trim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Backyardmechanic

Unles you have a very very early Victory 6 wood is not correct .The molding should be on all four(4 sides) and should have a slite concave on top with " ribs" on the side.

looks good tho :)

Vern

Vern, I don't know how my inside would have aluminum- it is a very gradual curve and not an inch of straight anywhere- plus the running board is designed to tuck and extend under the frame and bolt down underneath. Thanks- Jim

Perhaps I do have an early model- as the boards extend underneath the frame and bolt blindly onto the braces. If I use more aluminum it wouldn't be seen anyway. I just wrapped the wooden edge with the rubber and that finished it off cleanly. I understand the argument against water but my curved bodyline dictated a different style of runningboard. Thanks.