Six cylinder block casting 390029

farrellg

I am trying to identify this 6 cylinder block. It is currently in a 31/32 Dodge Truck that may be a 3 Ton or G44. However, this block does not appear in the Truck parts book. The head on it is 320032 which shows as an F10, F30, F31 Truck.

Can those with parts manuals check the part number pages in the front and see if to can find what this block was originally in?

Block number 390029

Engine DD 51766l (although the DD is very light)

post-69599-143141795313_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141795317_thumb.jpg

post-69599-14314179532_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141795324_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141795328_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141795339_thumb.jpg

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

I am trying to identify this 6 cylinder block. It is currently in a 31/32 Dodge Truck that may be a 3 Ton or G44. However, this block does not appear in the Truck parts book. The head on it is 320032 which shows as an F10, F30, F31 Truck.

Can those with parts manuals check the part number pages in the front and see if to can find what this block was originally in?

Block number 390029

I would guess a DeSoto or Chrysler but have no proof except these engines were used in Dodge applications.

I'm starting to think thats a car engine from a 31 DD 6. (see photo below)

In the last photo you posted showing the engine # stamping their appears to be 2 or 3 possible numbers or letters missing as you stated. It looks like it may meet the criteria to fall in the DD 6 series. But I'm just guessing, I know nothing about cars...

Contact Dave (countrytraveler) and see if he can pull the engine number off this car he has for sale to see if it will help.

Heres the thread that makes me think it's a DD 6

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1931-dd-4-dr-sedan-339142.html

post-69994-143141795613_thumb.jpg

I have done about all the working of the number I dare. I think the digits to the left may be 2DD or 22DD. I am very sure of 2DD, and not so sure of the second leading 2. Hence the number would be;

D 2 2 D D 5 1 7 6 6 D

Or

D 2 D D 5 1 7 6 6 D

Does anyone know if either of these make sense?

post-69599-143141795985_thumb.jpg

post-69599-14314179599_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141795993_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

You can ignore the 2 'D's on the pads to the right and left of the main numbers. That was a system designed by Chrysler that they put on all their CPDD engines to show the size of the big ends and the cylinder bores. They didn't throw anything away and shipped engines even though they were undersized or overbored. In other words if one connecting rod bearing on the crank had to beundercut to clean it up,all the connecting rod crank bearings were cut to the same depth. Then a code,in this case the letter D, was stamped on the engine i.d. boss to tell the rebuilder what he was up against. The same was done if they had to bore out the cylinders. One of these letters showed how much bigger,.010" e.g, all the cylinders were. Only the numbers and letters on the main boss are the 'model' of the engine. And my guess is '22DD' is a truck engine because I've never seen it on a car engine. The other part of the number is just production number. So the '22 DD' is the only mystery.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Block number 390029

Those numbers match my original 1931 DH6 engine.......

post-37352-143141797901_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14314179791_thumb.jpg

Keiser31, well that really helps narrow it down. Is there a casting date on your block? Usually near the rear at about same level as the part number, same side.

Looks like it says, "1 26 31". The car was built in February of 1931.

Very good. Does the block cast number appear in your parts manual if you have one?

The part number for the block says, "assembly" with a different number. Does not show just the block number. The cylinder head number matches the book. The block in my original 1931 DB DH6 says 320029-2 and was made later in the month of February, 1931. There are a few differences in the two cars' details such as number of front door hinges, style of the radiator insert, etc.

post-37352-14314179961_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141799619_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141799655_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I may have made a mistake and got my numbers mixed up. I just discovered my booboo with the numbers. You say 390029 and I gave the number as 320029. Sorry about that. I am just getting over being sick, so I am not all there.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I may have made a mistake and got my numbers mixed up. I just discovered my booboo with the numbers. You say 390029 and I gave the number as 320029. Sorry about that. I am just getting over being sick, so I am not all there.

Thats ok, I did the same thing when I was looking at your parts listing. Great minds think alike. :-). At least the heads match and get me in the ball park with what I am looking at. We are narrowing this down. If I can find the serial number stamped in the cab, it will be another piece of the puzzle.

This really helps narrow things down. Thanks. My mystery is still the 22DD prefix to the engine number. Not finding anything tying this to the Trucks or Cars.

Did you see KCL post above? I am assuming you missed it. What he posted is absolutely verifiable and correct information.

I have not had a chance yet to look into this engine situation but will do so when I can. It may be you are seeing a casting number though and you are not going to find that in any parts book I am aware of, should be easy enough though still to identify the engine.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Did you see KCL post above? I am assuming you missed it. What he posted is absolutely verifiable and correct information.

I have not had a chance yet to look into this engine situation but will do so when I can. It may be you are seeing a casting number though and you are not going to find that in any parts book I am aware of' date=' should be easy enough though still to identify the engine.[/quote']

Yes, I did see message from KCL. We did find the head in the parts book by cast number, just not the block. KCL believes that 22DD may be a truck.

Guest DodgeKCL

This is just really off the wall but Ford used the model letter of it's car and doubled it when they made a truck out of it. 'TT' for a model T truck and 'AA' for a model a truck. Could Chysler have been following some accepted model designation system that was around then and put 'DD' on it to designate a truck engine?

I don't know if you guys follow modern trucks but have you ever noticed that Dodge,Ford and Chev all make a '150' or a '1500', a '250' or a '2500', a '350' or a '3500' depending on whether it's a Ford,Dodge or GM? They've been doing it for years. I assume so a buyer can price shop for the same tonnage. They seem to have come to some 'back door' agreement to keep to this model numbering system.

This is just really off the wall but Ford used the model letter of it's car and doubled it when they made a truck out of it. 'TT' for a model T truck and 'AA' for a model a truck. Could Chysler have been following some accepted model designation system that was around then and put 'DD' on it to designate a truck engine?

I don't know if you guys follow modern trucks but have you ever noticed that Dodge,Ford and Chev all make a '150' or a '1500', a '250' or a '2500', a '350' or a '3500' depending on whether it's a Ford,Dodge or GM? They've been doing it for years. I assume so a buyer can price shop for the same tonnage. They seem to have come to some 'back door' agreement to keep to this model numbering system.

I have often thought of this very same thing.....I mean how the different manuf. use sorta the same system.