1933 Continental Flyer Roadster; Tribute or travesty?

Barry Wolk

We've argued in the past about how the information used by KBB/NADA may, or may not be correct. And, as you said in your original post, "the original promotional literature fudged the facts a bit and gave the car a 3" chop with a pencil and eraser." It was common for them (the industry) to "erase" the whole top and come up with a design that they fully intended to build, but never did. But the literature was released before the decision was made to build... or not to build.

I went through the accumulated information that came with my car to see if there is a specific mention of the Roadster in any of the service manuals. I found none, nor was there a mention of any other body style, either.

However, in reading the Owner's Manual issued January 1, 1933 there is this tidbit, under Car Locks:

In addition to the ignition coil lock, extra protection against theft is provided by door locks on all closed models.

I read this as confirmation that there were Roadsters, which had vulnerable, easily removed side curtains, negating the function of door locks.

That's a stretch as far as confirming it. I don't have a clue if they made one or not. If it were me trying to prove it, I would be looking for the last printing of the parts manual, to see if roadster parts were offered at the nearing end of production.

Print dates are important as I did purchase a july 28 Model K DeSoto parts book and the pricing book that came with it. It was maked "first printing" and then the date. Owners manuals were the same, with many "numbered" printings by date. This pair of manuals, pre-dated production of the car itself. It shows a part number and pricing for all the parts used on Disc Wheels....but...there never were disc on any DeSoto. I am sure a later print dated parts book would prove that, by not showing them.. If it was an option that was only used for a few months, a later parts book would still show parts to repair the early car.

It would not be shock to me, if a roadster was never offered; As noted in some of the Cont threads, body die costs would be tremendous for a low sales volume model, and a death knoll for a struggling start up maker. Also, roadster demand was waning by 33,.. Ford/Chevy still ran with it, as they had a volume that few others did.

So, let's say they planned a slightly later intro date for the roadster, after testing the initial sales of the new brand. This to me makes the most sence from a business viewpoint, as they knew that with DeVaux folding, that might have a effect on the new brand. They (Cont engine Co) were already in debt with having to take the brand over anyways, and taking such additional risks kinda does not sound logical.

32 was the worst year for auto companies, with only GM and Nash showing any profit at all. Cont, as well as every other maker, must have been trying their best to "not screw up" in 33.

That's a stretch as far as confirming it. I don't have a clue if they made one or not. If it were me trying to prove it, I would be looking for the last printing of the parts manual, to see if roadster parts were offered at the nearing end of production.

I think that's the rub F&J. Unless some entity recognizes this vehicle as being manufactured, it's no more than a modified at a Good Guys Show somewhere.

I think that's the rub F&J. Unless some entity recognizes this vehicle as being manufactured, it's no more than a modified at a Good Guys Show somewhere.

I was honest when I said I don't know. I do believe that just because there are no photos found or reported as of now, it does not mean it never existed. One thing about the internet, is that we sometimes look for 5 years, for the total amount of modern day photos, hoping to prove we have a rare body style, when in fact, there are countless cars out there that were never put up on the net.

But, one thing about the internet, and it's blogs and multiple car forums, "what is it", or "here's my grandfathers new car in 1921", etc... I am wondering why one mention of a "USA" Continental roadster has not surfaced in web searches.

The more I think about it, the more I think there never was a production roadster. As I think I read in a thread, the company offered all-steel bodies? I can't see how any sane business person or management, when viewing what was going on by 32, as far as car sales and roadster sales dropping...would dare build one, especially in all steel. ...because..

Take Chrysler Co's lowly Plymouth, which along with the other Chrysler brands, were instant good sellers. Ply was the low-pricing leader of Chrysler fleet. By 32, Ply roadsters were dropping in demand, despite the roadster cars as being used as the "loss leader" for advertising in ads. The car makers of low priced autos, often used the roadster pic with a huge printed price, to get your attention, even though the typical new car buyer always wanted a 4 dr sedan for a lot more money.

Don Bulter stated that a Plymouth "collegiate Special" roadster was intro'd in 32, offering your college colors on the body and fenders...sounds like an attempt to generate some interest in a dead model. Back to production costs; the 32 Ply roadster was still wood framed, whereas all the other Ply bodies including the convertible coupe were all-steel. Seems to me that Chrysler knew he could build the roadster cheaper in all-steel, but only if the demand could offest the hundereds of new dies needed, to do that body style. It is sort of obvious that Chrysler made the right decision, and knew the sales would be dropping further still, and kept the wood frame, even thought the wood frame "cost more". Ply dropped the roadster in the end of 32 production.

If a Continental USA roadster ever does surface, my bet it that it must be wood framed, and possibly a prototype, or one of a small handful that were essentially hand built. I would still be looking for parts manuals, the later, the better.

I can print from these. Thank you very much.

In reading about the Continental Motors Company in "Continental! It's motors and its people", it says says that Continental showed all 4 models of the Beacon at the 33rd National Automobile Show in New York held at the Grand Central Palace.

I wonder if pictures exist from that event. Where would you start looking?

I can print from these. Thank you very much.

In reading about the Continental Motors Company in "Continental! It's motors and its people", it says says that Continental showed all 4 models of the Beacon at the 33rd National Automobile Show in New York held at the Grand Central Palace.

I wonder if pictures exist from that event. Where would you start looking?

Barry....start here on Google...Public Exhibition of the National Auto Show - U210682ACME - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

I used these words on google images "33rd National Automobile Show in New York held at the Grand Central Palace"

There were 3 pics of individual mixed make cars on a (scanpix.no) site. But it is Norse language and I can't navigate.

I'm not sure if you are aware that The Standard catalog of American Cars 1805 - 1942, first edition, lists the Continental Roadster as avalible in 1933 only and it was avalible as either the 4 cylinder Beacon on a 101 1/2" wheelbase and the six cylinder Flyer on a 107" wheelbase.

I know that does not mean they sold any but as they were the cheapest model it is hard to imagine that they did not.

Oddly I was having nearly this exact discussion with friends just a few IPA inspired nights ago. While I have decided to keep my car as a survivor and not restore her (I believe it will be more valuable to someone down the road who can easily verify her in every way) we debated the hypothetical situation where I would alter my car to suit my personal tastes with things like a custom interior, paint color, maybe an engine turned dash replacing the woodwork, and so on. We pretty much agreed that it was fair game if the alterations were done in a way that used methods and design that are contemporary to the car's production. In other words I was free to change from a non-factory paint color to something more to my liking but it had to exist in 1962, or seats remade with piping like what's in a Rolls-Royce instead of the non-piped perforated seats that Mercedes favors. To me it's a bit like reviving the notion of ordering cars to specification, so if you want to do something like that I am all for it. If we're being honest here, I would have no compunction about modifying an Aston Martin DB5 into a shooting brake for my use and entertainment. I would however choose a car that was not whole or one that needed body work, not chop a solid original car that is in overall fine condition. As with most of my thinking, we only live once and it's not for very long, so as long as you're not hurting anybody, do whatever makes you happy!