2002 Park Avenue what Should I look out for?

My girlfriend and I are in the market for a good used car for under $2500 we came across a 2002 Buick Park Avenue with 186,000 miles, we have yet to test drive this car but I talked the guy down to 2085+tax,title,and doc fees(they wanted another $85 for the labor and parts just put into fixing the gas and one other gauge where the needles just stayed topped out) the mileage is what bugs me as I know the engines will run well if taken care of into the 220-250k mile range but I know the transmissions don't last as long. There are some decent sized tears in the front leather seats and it needs a climate control switch because the drivers side blows hot/cold and the passenger side stays cold no matter what. Is this thing worth it and are there any other specific things I should be looking for? I'm going based on the knowledge I have from working on my 94 Lesabre Cutsom and a general knowledge of the 3800 series family of engines. I do not know a lot about the 4t60e transmissions. Thanks for any input. These cars tend to move quickly in my area if they have low miles and are under $2500. Was going to look at a nice 94 Lesabre for $2400 with 90,000miles but that car was gone in an hour. There are a lot of other Lesabres and Park Avenues in the higher mileage range(140-220k) usually from (1993-2003) for around $2500 are these ok to look at also? We need a car soon and are looking for something comfortable with a large back seat and truck for our 4 month old sons carseat and later on stroller,diaper bag, ETC.

hi, i have a 2000 buick park avenue ultra with the supercharger version of the 3800 engine, i bought the car used about five years ago for $2800.00 with 174,000 miles and a crack across the very bottom of the windshield. the ultra now has 290,000 miles on it's original engine and 4t65e-hd transmission. i just had new spark plugs and plug wires installed, and also put on rebuilt fuel injectors and a new fuel filter. this car has been by far, the best used car i ever bought. almost bulletproof. you also can't go wrong with the same generation of buick lesabre's, more basic transportation than a park ave or ultra. i only wish my ultra had the sunroof. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

You must look at the subframe around the engine. This is a weak spot on these big GM's and on the Regals of the same age.

Also see Mudbones pictures and check your steering line cooler, brake and fuel lines. Then see if the fuel pump has been replaced yet.

With that milage, unless it lead a blessed life, you might want to test drive it over some roough road. Clunking front or rear? Chances are the bearing plates on top of the shocks need to be replaced.

BTW, check the drains on the sunroof if it is so equiped. I have heard of two of these where the drain piping came apart at the top of the sail panels and soaked the rear seat carpets. IT's as easy as putting it back together you just don't know it's disconnected till the kids are ice skating on the carpets back there.

Look, I hate to be so negative about these cars. I love my Buicks, and Ultra's and PA 's are really nice. But do your homework on these issues. They are not cheap repairs.

You can also expect an intake manifold gasket replacement, where you should do valve cover gasket replacement as well.

Not specific to the Park Avenue........ but any GM car from the rust belt does need to be inspected for rust problems associated with the front engine cradle. Some cradles actually rust thru...appears salt slush packs in certain areas and eats away at them.... remember these cars have seen 10+ years of winter. Another common problem is the bolts that mount the cradle to the body, they rust and "BANG" one side of the cradle has dropped down.

3800 engine is bullet proof, ones with plastic intakes sometimes have cracks, but the aftermarket makes replacements. If you find the supercharged version of the 3800, it has its own oil supply, if this goes dry it can cook the bearings in the supercharger. There is a plug on the supercharger snout that unscrews (internal metric hex) for inspection and filling.

Were staying away from supercharged cars, this will be my girlfriends main car and it doesn't need a whole lot of power. Thanks for all the help guys! We are still looking there is a really nice 95 lesabre with 147k miles that popped up and a 2002 park avenue with 187k miles( different one than the original car posted) that was elderly owned and serviced at the dealership regularly and it shows that car is super nice looking and seems very well taken care of hopefully going to look at that one tonight! Then the 95 Lesabre tomorrow and possibly the original car posted if we can find anything else.

Ended up buying the 95 lesabre custom with 147k for.....$1500 only problems with the car are a front wheel wobble(they thought a front wheel bearing was going out feels more like an out of balance wheel to me.), the 4 switch power cluster for the drivers door, and the interior needs a good cleaning thats it. Ran flawlessly on the hour long trip home and a couple of hours of parts running and other shopping. I think we got good deal as in my area no one would have taken under 2000 no matter what kbb says. These people looked up the kbb value and decided to let it sell at book value. I t was worth it will have pics soon.