Sign in to follow this  
Rob J

Just curious, what's everyones age, and what year Riv(s) do you own?

Posted (edited)

68. I've had 7 Rivieras:

(4) 63s

(2) 67s

(1) 68

However, my daily driver is a 2018 VW Tiguan. Usually only have VW and Riviera...except for a 66 Toronado I never should have purchased.

63s are by far my favorite. I have a 67 now.

1967-Buick-Riviera-American Classics--Car-101054868-6c5a72892c2acd42593519cf950a3ff1 (1).jpg

Edited by usbear2009
A little more thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, usbear2009 said:

...except for a 66 Toronado I never should have purchased.

Just curious, why was your '66 Toro a bad purchase?

I owned a '68 Eldorado for 20 years, which is mechanically similar to the Toronados of the same vintage.  I sold it a few years ago to buy a '67 Corvette.  

My Eldo was reliable. It was rare in that it had every factory option, including leather bucket seats and console.  A bit strange, as the shifter remained on the steering column!   I always worried about the front wheel bearings going bad as these were only used in the '66-68 Toros and "67-68 Eldos.  As such they're hard to find and very expensive.  Some guys swapped out the front spindles from the '69 on up cars to get around the problem, as the design was changed to use different less expensive bearings. 

The front end of those cars was built like a tank. And they drive like one too. One magazine writer described it as "the battle between the immovable object and the irresistible force."  I always remembered that quote as an apt description of the car's handling.

Cheers,

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, Rivman said:

Just curious, did your new addition come from North Carolina?

I’m kind of wondering because it looks like one that a member here in NC owned. A very nice couple we lost touch with a few years ago.

1343257320_045(2).thumb.JPG.9fe432bdbeb5025a11bdbc360ddf46f8.JPG

047.thumb.JPG.447b450de96b061dc0752685da5ede78.JPG

Nice looking Riv.

63 Red Riviera with a valiant effort to get the car clean.

Turbinator

BF891B35-D336-46FB-974C-93E9C59CE1E3.jpeg

3CA5ECAE-CEF0-4BD7-AB34-900B61113D0D.jpeg

7D6F1ED9-43CF-403B-B658-BFB62B8D9467.jpeg

• Like 3

No sir, my car came from a dealer in Manitowoc WS. The Black Riv above the Red Riv belongs to another collector.

I bought mine 2016 May. The car was solid; however, on going maintenance was deferred. So although the car ran it needed replacement .... battery, alt, regu, steering box, shocks, exhaust system, tune up, radiator, electronic choke, rear tail lights, turn signal repair. The wanted to replace/update was AC, all new interior, trunk kit, tires, AM radio cleaned and reset to allow mp3, replacement 6x9 ohm matched rear speaker. DashTop replacement that surprisingly turned out good. I had paint matched from the interior for the DashTop. Had the engine bay and the engine painted and some bubble rust fixed.

i could go on, but the car has to perform and look a certain way for me to be content. The car is no trailer queen nor a hot rod. Just an attempt to get the car back to as original as possible without being stupid expensive.

Bob

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Just curious, why was your '66 Toro a bad purchase?

I owned a '68 Eldorado for 20 years, which is mechanically similar to the Toronados of the same vintage.  I sold it a few years ago to buy a '67 Corvette.  

My Eldo was reliable. It was rare in that it had every factory option, including leather bucket seats and console.  A bit strange, as the shifter remained on the steering column!   I always worried about the front wheel bearings going bad as these were only used in the '66-68 Toros and "67-68 Eldos.  As such they're hard to find and very expensive.  Some guys swapped out the front spindles from the '69 on up cars to get around the problem, as the design was changed to use different less expensive bearings. 

The front end of those cars was built like a tank. And they drive like one too. One magazine writer described it as "the battle between the immovable object and the irresistible force."  I always remembered that quote as an apt description of the car's handling.

Cheers,

The rear end is totally rusted out. I"m not sure it's fixable.  However, it does have a strong engine and transmission. The brake system had to be completely replaced; the lines, etc were rotted as is portions of the body. The Eldorado is a gorgeous car.

• Like 1