Sign in to follow this  
Rob J

Just curious, what's everyones age, and what year Riv(s) do you own?

I,m 58.I presently own a 91 Riviera.Previously owned 89 Riviera.I got my first Riviera-a 64 fully loaded,a/c,pw,seats,reverb when i was 16!

4 minutes ago, first64riv said:

40, 1964 Riviera.

It's older than you are !!!! Most guys your age are tooling around in a BMW or an Audi.  Good for you and your Riviera. 👍

• Like 1

Such a personal question!

Why would a 55 year old man who owns a 1968 Riviera in Fayetteville, North Carolina answer such a question? 

Oops... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anyone own a car built in the year in which he was born?

Buick did not make Riviera's in 1946. A Riviera was known in 1949 as it was the beginning of the hardtop & was called the Riviera. 

At the moment I'm 72.   So I bought mine when I was 18.  Today I still have the same '64 Riv. with over 300K on it.  May drive it to Pa. this year. We'll see how that works out.      !st. I would have to put the 3.07's back in.

Tom T.

• Like 2

Age is in the eye of the beholder if you get to my age of 71 - 63, 64 , 65 GS , 66 GS x 2 , 67, 69GS , 72 , 73 GS  and few other non-Riviera's. Tired of Winter ! 

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

51.25 and I'm working on a 1965 Riviera.  I've had it since June of 2017, and I' haven't even driven it yet!  It needed a lot of work that it wasn't supposed to need and then I found the rear floors rotted out.  :(

• Sad 1

Good God, I just looked through six pages of responses, and unless I missed one or two responses, I'm the oldest so far! I just turned 75 yesterday. I usually don't worry too much about my age, I'm still healthy, and have been told, many times that I don't look my age, that remains to be seen, but I don't know if any single thing that has made me feel older then seeing this thread! What a great Birthday present!

1963 Riv

1965-22K mile, all original, and documented.

Bill

• Like 2

Bill........if it makes you feel any better,  I am older.    They didn't make a Riviera back when I was born but I do have a 1939 Century Sport Coupe (my year)

Also have never owned a Riviera of any year but keep an eye on all the discussions

The Reattas I look after are half sister to the Riviera of that vintage,   so there are many things shared.

• Like 1

49, and had my 65 Riv for 3 years, after wanting one since I was very small.

• Like 1

I am 70 and in May I will have owned my '64 for 41 years.

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Most guys your age are tooling around in a BMW or an Audi.

Ain't it something how the old guys stereotype.

Had this for a year now. It is the same age my Riviera was when I bought it.

734772069_20180301_113719(3)2.jpg.65a0d49614e9d97680809aafa61e54cb.jpg

• Like 1

I will be 65 in March. I have a 1963 that I have had for 5 years. 

Bill

P7271019.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Good God, I just looked through six pages of responses, and unless I missed one or two responses, I'm the oldest so far! I just turned 75 yesterday. I usually don't worry too much about my age, I'm still healthy, and have been told, many times that I don't look my age, that remains to be seen, but I don't know if any single thing that has made me feel older then seeing this thread! What a great Birthday present!

1963 Riv

1965-22K mile, all original, and documented.

Bill

Happy Birthday Bill!

Almost 71 l have 65 base riviera 465,that I have as a driver now and a 65  LX that I should have ready this summer!

I turned 60 this year.  My Riviera and I have been together for 36 years. I bought my '65 Gran Sport in 1983 in Seattle, WA.  I drove it daily for ten years here in Vancouver, BC, and must have been the only one that crazy because I rarely if ever saw another 1st Gen Riviera on the road.  Same holds even truer today!  I got lucky as I had no idea what a Gran Sport was when I bought my Riv.  I'm not sure the previous owner knew it was anything special either, as I got it for only $2,000 and it was back then just a used 18 year old car in reasonably good shape.  It was unmolested, with 113,000 original miles on the clock, still wearing its original paint, interior, etc.  Soon after buying my Riv I joined the recently formed Riviera Owners Association (ROA).  My low membership number 259 testifies to that.  The ROA has been a wonderful resource, more so back in the days before the internet and forums such as this.  Here's a pic of my GS, taken earlier this month:

image.thumb.png.0e7b2e159aa0c9aeabc9f698ab13bcfe.png

In the ten years I used it my Gran Sport as my daily driver I put another 100,000 miles on the car with several road trips to Los Angeles, etc. All this on its original drivetrain.  Heavy on gas, yes, but extremely reliable.  This car never ever let me down in all that time.  After I retired it from regular use in 1995 I began the process of restoring it as funds and time allowed: first the body and paint (she had the usual back window rust, but not bad otherwise), then onto the engine and trans, while fixing other small things along the way.  She's in fine form now, and I enjoy driving it immensely.  I usually get several "NC's" ("Nice Car!") thumbs up each time I take her out on a drive.  I've had many good times with this car over the decades, and still get that tingle of pride and admiration every time I gaze over its fine lines to get behind the wheel to again enjoy its sparkling performance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

60 years old.  Current fun cars:

1965 Riviera Custom

1967 GTO 455 4 speed frame off resto

1965 Corvair Corsa factory turbo car

2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed Gran Touring

Reposted with pics.

0607181348.jpg

1030181543-1.jpg

1031181757.jpg

1017181257a.jpg

• Like 3

Seeing Gary's post (nice stable you have there!) reminded me to mention the car that shares the garage with my '65 Gran Sport -  a 1967 Corvette coupe with factory A/C:

image.thumb.png.9acb5dbb5d8635851d1f548480d2a387.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Seeing Gary's post (nice stable you have there!) reminded me to mention the car that shares the garage with my '65 Gran Sport -  a 1967 Corvette coupe with factory A/C:

image.thumb.png.9acb5dbb5d8635851d1f548480d2a387.png

Love the color....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garysriv said:

Love the color....

Hi Gary,

Yes, my '67 Vette is painted Marina Blue.  The color gets lots of compliments.  It really 'glows' under streetlights which make it look purplish midnight blue.

Seeing your '65 Corvair reminds me of a friend who owned several.  He had a tee shirt made up that said "What a Pair, Me and my Corvair!"  That gave me a laugh, for sure.

Cheers, 

5 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Gary,

Yes, my '67 Vette is painted Marina Blue.  The color gets lots of compliments.  It really 'glows' under streetlights which make it look purplish midnight blue.

Seeing your '65 Corvair reminds me of a friend who owned several.  He had a tee shirt made up that said "What a Pair, Me and my Corvair!"  That gave me a laugh, for sure.

Cheers, 

Yes Corvairs have quite a following.  I have a friend who's had 73 of them since high school.  This one is probably my 6th.  Cool car, 180hp from 164 cubic inches, I put meth injection on it too.

0511181624c.jpg

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1