1936 Buick 90L

Dave_B

I found this 36 Limited on the Baltimore Craigslist. The car is located in Glen Burnie, just south of Baltimore.

It's not my car so contact the OP

"1936 Buick 90L for sale fair condition. It's a great collectors piece runs but needs work. It has a straight eight,just needs the right owner to restore it. Restored value is anywhere from 65,000 to 85,000. Contacted me by email only the serious please."

He is asking $19,000

4qqkf-3667379304@sale.craigslist.org

Dave

Edited by Dave_B (see edit history)

At first glance looks like an interesting car, as all Limited Buicks would be. Looking at the fact it has sunk to rims in the earth, and the rusty front hubcap, makes me think that underneath this car is a mess. Which is interesting, because in the picture it looks like it was a nice car, and someone left it outside on dirt?

Since this is a second hand post, i.e. you're not the owner, I'd say the guy is 6K to 8K over on price, just based on presentation....and maybe more if the rust flakes are numerous underneath....

Guest Rob McDonald

DAVID, thanks for explaining. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. "Why do the bottoms of those big, beautiful tires appear to be Photoshopped out?" I tell ya, a guy should have to qualify to be an old car owner...

Please note Glen Burnie is spelled with a "u". Shake all thoughts of any other Bernie from your head.

Here is a neat seller's trick; move the car 3 feet before taking a picture.

Here is another Craigslist treasure. A little Chlorox helps sometimes too:

3na3E53F55G75Eb5H5d2h4e86414176f81f54.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald
Mr. Gravity drawing a 6000 pound car to the center of the earth...

I love that image but let's get picky here. Buicks, even big beautiful Limiteds, have rarely broken the 2 1/2 ton barrier. Some coach-built Brunn customs, maybe, and certainly armoured cars would. Hearses, too. However, this sunk-to-the-hubs '36 90L probably weighs a svelte 4500 lb, a bit less than the iconic 4710 lb '58 Limited. Electras in '59 and '60 weighed up to 4900 lb and in 1976, they just barely nudged 5000 lb, which was probably the heaviest production Buick ever.

Disproving the theory that natural selection eventually improves a species, the current Enclave may be number two in the bulky Buick race, tipping the scales at 4980 lb. I'm sure it's a lovely riding car, er truck, or whatever but does a 21st Century all-by-him/herself commuter really need that much road-hugging Buickness?

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

I had one of those 5,000 pound Enclaves. It was nice to drive, smooth and quiet. It had a 3.6 engine and a six speed automatic. When I traveled anywhere but Interstates the pig would shift unpredictably at flat power spots. Secondary roads in hilly areas made me livid from the poor performance. It was designed for a 40 to 45 year old who had never owned a real Buick. If they had only dropped in the 5.3 engine I have in my Silverado...... 23 Liters in the garage and only four cars. That don't count the truck!

Bernie

I think it had been recently moved onto the soft dirt. It doesn't have any dirt splashed up on the white walls so it can't have been there long. In any event it doesn't seem like the best marketing to take a picture of it sitting up to the axles in in dirt, but who am I.............

Still it's not as bad as the Packard. sheesh

I neglected to post the link to the listing so here it is:

1936 Buick 90L

Dave